World Families Forums - Maternal mtDNA origin may belong here?

ARCHIVAL COPY
Home Help Search Login Register
This is an archival copy of the old forum. This copy does not allow new posts, nor can you log in to this forum.
For the current active forum, please visit https://www.worldfamilies.net/forum.

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Geographic Projects
| | |-+  Lancashire (Moderator: Stephanie L. Ray)
| | | |-+  Maternal mtDNA origin may belong here?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Maternal mtDNA origin may belong here?  (Read 7084 times)
PDHOTLEN

« on: May 23, 2010, 08:52:04 PM »

I have an apparently rare U5 HVR1+HVR2 haplotype. I may or may not be directly related to Alice Powell of Jamestown, colonial Virginia. But given the rarity of matches, I probably have a common ancestor with her back in England. I traced an HVR1+HVR2 match from Oregon back to Alice Powell via family trees, starting with a short tree at the SMGF website. Anyway, the mother of Alice Powell is problematic, with four different possible mothers; and who knows, maybe others. At the present time, I am fixed on a Margaret Sedgewick (Sedgwick), born 1589 in Sedbergh, Cumbria (formerly West Riding, Yorkshire). That is in a river valley upstream from Lancashire, and I was informed that the family is also found in Lancashire. So I think the Sedgewick family belongs in this Lancashire Project; even if it turns out I'm not related to them. I don't have personal contact with any living Sedgewicks, so I am just tossing this information into the ring.

U5b2/U5b2b2 (traces to colonial USA European) & R1a1a1 L664+ (Norwegian descent); X chromosome (not tested) = half Austrian and half Colonial USA. FTDNA kit #54319. Genebank EF419891. MitoSearch/Y-Search #G986T.

PDHOTLEN

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 11:24:16 PM »

Well, I clicked the "join" button for mLancashire at FTDNA. But then I noticed that there is no website. Maybe I should join the Dual Project?

U5b2/U5b2b2 (traces to colonial USA European) & R1a1a1 L664+ (Norwegian descent); X chromosome (not tested) = half Austrian and half Colonial USA. FTDNA kit #54319. Genebank EF419891. MitoSearch/Y-Search #G986T.

PDHOTLEN

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 06:27:49 AM »

I still have not changed my mind about Margaret Sedgewick/Sedgwick being my earliest female ancestress. Her (and therefor my) U5b2b2 haplotype seems to point to a Norse origin (via Ireland?).

PDHOTLEN

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 04:51:19 AM »

It's been a long time since I looked at this forum. And you can forget my ^ previous posts. The tree with Sedgewick turned out to be erroneous. It was based on information at Ancestry. But at a couple of points in the tree, well, it turned out to be doubtful or plainly impossible to connect. But, I do notice a couple of fairly close mtDNA matches from Lancashire. So way back in prehistory there was a common ancestor. But it may have been in Doggerland or the Calabrian (spelling?) Ice Age Refugium. Closer in time, my maternal origin may have been Ulster Scots; but seemingly somewhere in NW England, Ulster or Scotland.

9/9/2011
I've come around to thinking that my U5 haplotype is just plain Anglo-Saxon; nothing exotic. Since I have a rare HVR1+HVR2 match going back to earliest Massachusetts, that reinforces this view.

1 May 2012
While my direct maternal line still seems unsolvable, I have bumped into clues. My U5b2b2 haplotype seems related to Danes/Danelaw territory, with SMGF matches from Danes included. And although I still have an early Puritan Massachusetts matching tree, it looks like I also have a rare match from Maryland. That is closer to Virginia and North Carolina, and therefore the more probable origin. A surname that would have been associated with the Maryland line was Crabtree; maybe not directly related. I saw online that Crabtree origins go back to Lancashire and Yorkshire. Hmm...
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 09:10:30 AM by PDHOTLEN » Logged

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 19 queries.