World Families Forums - Red Hair

ARCHIVAL COPY
Home Help Search Login Register
This is an archival copy of the old forum. This copy does not allow new posts, nor can you log in to this forum.
For the current active forum, please visit https://www.worldfamilies.net/forum.

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  R1b General (Moderator: Maliclavelli)
| | |-+  Red Hair
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Red Hair  (Read 2588 times)
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« on: April 12, 2009, 09:15:43 AM »

I started this thread to talk about red hair, not to write a dissertation, so just post whatever you can find or whatever you have to say on the subject.

Here is a red hair frequency map for England and Wales that was produced by the Anthropology Department of Palomar College in San Marcos, California.

http://anthro.palomar.edu/vary/images/map_of_red_hair_in_England.gif

I don't know how they produced it or what study or studies it is based on. It's not all that detailed, but it's a start.

If I find some other stuff I'll post it.

I don't have red hair, but my youngest daughter and my two grandsons have it, and one of my dad's older sisters had it.

vtilroe
Project Coordinator
Old Hand

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 01:42:40 PM »

My father had brownish-red hair - but he got it from his very dutch mother.  His father was dark-haired.

My mother's father also had red hair - he was of swabian-german ethnicity by way of the former Ottoman Empire, but none of his kids had it - they were all dark-haired.

A bit of the legacy of that recessive red-haired gene does appear in me and my brother's beards to a small degree.

YSearch & MitoSearch: 2GXWW

yDNA: R-U106*

mtDNA: U5a1a1 (Genbank# GQ368895)

R-P312-WTY Project Admin http://tinyurl.com/daertg

NealtheRed
Old Hand

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 04:29:13 PM »

I was born with red hair, and so was my sister. My great-grandfather Clyde had it too; we are English.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 04:29:35 PM by NealtheRed » Logged

Y-DNA: R-Z255 (L159.2+) - Downing (Irish Sea)

MTDNA: HV4a1 - Centrella (Avellino, Italy)

Ysearch: 4PSCK

rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 05:53:33 PM »

It's interesting to me. When I was young I had red hair in my beard and moustache. Now my facial hair has mostly gone white (which I can see when I let it grow).

Interesting that Wales has a fairly high frequency of red hair.

Anyway, my dad's maternal grandmother was a McElroy, which is an Irish surname that in the original Gaelic means, "son of the red youth."

NealtheRed
Old Hand

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 07:08:28 PM »

Why is there so much red hair in Britain? I know it frequents Western Europe and the Scandinavian countries, but Britain seems to be the majority shareholder.

Y-DNA: R-Z255 (L159.2+) - Downing (Irish Sea)

MTDNA: HV4a1 - Centrella (Avellino, Italy)

Ysearch: 4PSCK

Jafety R1b-U152

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 05:38:56 AM »

Interesting topic/question.
We do not normally have red haired people in Hungary, however, there are some people with "reddish ." That is usually seen as a Germanic or Slavic feature in the Hungarian population.

I am not a biologist or geneticist but as far as I know, people have only two "hair-genes" and there are more than two types of that genes so there is many combination. For example, Mediterranean brown is different from Central Asian black (which I have for example - my hair is so black that people use to ask me if I dye it...). And red gene is again different - I read somewhere that it is probably connected to green eyes.
I wonder if red or  is the dominant when these two are inherited together.

I also read about speculation that probably Neanderthal's have interbred with the earliest Cro-Magnons and red hair + green eyes is a result of that. This theory is supported by the fact that red appears only in the "White Caucasian" area, where Neanderthals used to live (they were found all over Europe + even Palestine)
However, I am not sure that anyone can securely state that Neanderthals had red hair...

« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 05:42:18 AM by Jafety R1b-U152 » Logged

Y-DNA: R1b1b2a1b4 (S28/U-152) L2 test pending
Earliest known paternal ancestor: Matthias Fejer, b. 1819, Jaszarokszallas, Jasz county, Central Hungary
MtDNA: U4 (Western Siberian Ugric)
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 07:05:33 PM »

Here is an interesting short article:

http://irishtribesman.blogspot.com/2007/01/red-hair-is-most-common-in-ireland.html

Pendragon1962

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 09:45:52 PM »

before I even had my y-dna tested, I always thought my y-dna was Celtic, because of so many red headed and freckle men on my dad's side, I'm black headed, but I have alot of freckles on my back and arms.
My dad's two brother's were red headed, my first cousin is red headed, so since my y-dna comes from Wales, that could be the reason, going by the map that rms posted.

here's about the Neanderthal's being red headed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7062415.stm 

Y-DNA: R-L21+
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 08:01:27 AM »

If any of you find a nice map showing the worldwide distribution of red hair, please post a link to it here. I have been looking but haven't been able to find one yet.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 18 queries.