World Families Forums - Bayman/Pythouse

ARCHIVAL COPY
Home Help Search Login Register
This is an archival copy of the old forum. This copy does not allow new posts, nor can you log in to this forum.
For the current active forum, please visit https://www.worldfamilies.net/forum.

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'P'
| | |-+  Pitts (Moderator: Dave Pitts)
| | | |-+  Bayman/Pythouse
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bayman/Pythouse  (Read 2619 times)
baymanp

« on: February 09, 2005, 01:51:52 AM »

My family used the name Bayman/Pythouse from at least 1500 to 1700s...my DNA is similar to Pitts so I am guessing that the Pitman listed may be using a derivation of the original surname Pythouse (or whatever that was a derivation of).
Biscuits
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2005, 10:01:48 PM »

What do you mean that your family used bayman/pythouse?  Diid they change their name sometime in the middle of that time period?

-Biscuits
Peter Bayman
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2005, 12:41:51 PM »

Sorry for long delay ... the first recorded Bayman (that is, my family) I have found is in Ramsbury Wiltshire 1533 and they record their name as Bayman als (short for "alias"; Americans use aka short for "also known as") Pytthouse. The family used this for at least two hundred years with a number of variations including Pithouse, Pittis and Pittes. It was common in medieval times to use another name as an alias ... some reasons are to 1. associate with a prestigous family 2. Use the name of of your wife if she came from a prestgous family 3. could also imply that the person was illegitimate and the second name was the real fathers name.

I have searched far and wide and have not been able to find records before 1533 that indicate where the Pytthouse came from. There is a place called Pythouse in southern Wilthire which was owned by a well known family called Bennett and I have found one example of where they called themselves Bennett als Pythouse but have found no connection so far.

I have also examined the possible connection with other variations of Pytthouse such as Pittis, Peytows, Peyto etc but to no avail. There is a book by a Pittis family member (Pittis Genealogy, 1945) which lists members from 1480 to 1944 and there are many early variations on the spelling of their name - Pyts, Pyttys, Pitts, Pits, Pittes, Pyttis etc

If we all get our DNA tested then we will be able to link up with the papers records...you will find my test results at http://www.worldfamilies.net/surnames/b/bynum/results.html - I am trying to find the origin of Bayman as being derived from either the Baynhams of Gloucestershire or the Beaumont family.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.239 seconds with 20 queries.