World Families Forums - Group Testing -- Plan B

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 21, 2017, 01:28:09 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'B'
| | |-+  Barker (Moderator: Arthur C. Barker)
| | | |-+  Group Testing -- Plan B
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Group Testing -- Plan B  (Read 618 times)
Arthur C. Barker

« on: February 08, 2016, 02:36:33 PM »

I would like to establish a target balance for the General Fund of $300.00.  We are currently at $200.00.  Once we reach that target, I would like to begin group testing.  At no time will the balance in our General Fund fall below $100.00, so that gives you the parameters for when Group Testing will be conducted and cease temporarily.

All Group Testing will require a minimum 50% match by the individual involved.  Since I am dedicated to helping Members establish Lineages and discover their place on the yDNA Haplotree, my first priority will be to offer those Members who have tested only 12 markers an opportunity to upgrade to 25 markers if they will pay for half of the cost.  In addition, for those Members who have not tested beyond the FTDNA estimate of their early SNP mutation and are not in Lineages where some other Member has already tested further, a similar matching offer will apply to any SNP Pack, if one is available.  Beyond these two priorities, Suzanne and I will consider any other yDNA testing proposal from any Member, other than those who are connected to us personally in some way, with the exception of Big Y, which is beyond the financial means of the Project's General Fund.  You can submit these proposals for New Member testing, STR upgrades, and SNP testing in a private e-mail to Suzanne, me or both of us.  These will not be discussed with the Membership.  In all cases, Suzanne and I will decide which Group Tests will be purchased.

If there should be more demand for testing than our limited means can provide, we will effectively conduct an auction and give those involved an opportunity to raise their matching level, which will presumably both limit the number of testing candidates and help preserve the Project's funds.  The testing priority will be determined by how much an individual is willing to contribute to the test in such a case.

If you would like to contribute to the Project's General Fund, here is the link:

https://www.familytreedna.com/group-general-fund-contribution.aspx

Arthur C. Barker

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 06:01:06 PM »

After discussing this matter with Suzanne, I would like to modify some of the previous points I made with regard to Group-assisted testing.

To upgrade a 12-marker Kit to 25 markers costs $49.00.  Therefore, half of that in a 50% match would be about $25.00.  I still believe the Project derives the greatest value from upgrading the 12-marker Kits so that the WFN Tool can assign them to a Lineage if possible and discovering the SNP sequence for Members.  And although I allowed for the possibility that other testing could be proposed, the original idea strikes me as being unfair to all the Members and limiting testing possibilities.  Therefore, instead of focusing on any specific test, we will open Group-assisted testing to all Members by simply offering a blanket $25.00 grant for any yDNA test they choose to take at any time, including during periodic Sales.  Among other things, this will allow Members to upgrade Kits by more than one step, say from 12 to 37 markers, upgrade Kits that are already at a higher level, and do any kind of SNP testing, including ordering the powerful Next Generation Sequencing test Big Y.

Only yDNA testing will be included since that is the purpose of our Project and the Kit proposed must have a Barker surname associated with it or some derivative of that name.  For these purposes, Barger will be considered one of those derivatives.  As before, all Members related to Suzanne or me will be excluded from receiving a grant to avoid any conflict of interest.

As before, if you wish to apply for a grant, contact either Suzanne or me.  Instead of approving it, as I previously mentioned, we will use the system employed by the Roman Tribunes during the days of the Republic.  Each administrator will hold an absolute veto.  Unless a proposal is vetoed by one of the administrators, it will be accepted.

Once a proposal has been accepted, the Member will contribute their share of the cost of a test to the Project's General Fund and send Suzanne or me written authorization to order a specific test, which is a requirement by Family Tree DNA Groups and will be attached to the Member's file.  The cost of the test will be invoiced to the Project and will be paid by Suzanne or me.

I want to again thank all the Members who have generously contributed to our Project's General Fund.  If you would like to make a contribution, please visit this website page:

I will post an announcement on this thread when the Project has reached a General Fund balance of $300.00 and proposals can be made.
Arthur C. Barker

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 03:37:03 PM »

I am pleased to announce that the Project has reached the targeted balance of $300.00 in order to begin group-assisted testing.  I consider the awards of requested grants for $25.00 as merely being another incentive for people to conduct testing, just like the reduced prices if you order certain tests through the Project's website or Family Tree DNA's periodic Sales and coupon codes.  One difference is that our Project's grants can be added to those, whereas FTDNA's Sales and coupons override the regular reduced prices for groups.  As a result, you may want to wait for FTDNA's incentives to take place before ordering an upgrade or a test.

I should have mentioned before that these grants can be used for New Member orders also since group administrators can perform that function.  However, these new orders are restricted by FTDNA to Y-DNA37, Y-DNA67 and Y-DNA111 tests with regard to yDNA testing.  In addition, orders for New Members require some kind of verification that the Kit is for a Barker since that was no doubt the intent of the contributions of Members.  Therefore, if you request an order for a New Member, you must tell us how they relate to a posted pedigree on our Patriarchs page or provide something similar, which we can post there at your discretion.  This may take some time to verify.

Besides contributing your share of the cost of a requested yDNA test through a contribution to our General Fund, FTDNA Groups requires that you give us written permission to order it, as I have mentioned previously.  This is not elaborate and I will give you an example of what it should say.

I authorize Arthur C. Barker, Administrator of The Barker DNA Project, to an order an upgrade of my yDNA results to Y-DNA25 and have made provision to pay for the costs involved in doing so.

This simple statement should be over the name used on your account.  If you wish Suzanne to order the upgrade, then you should use her name and title, Co-Administrator.  The particular test mentioned above is simply an example.  There are several upgrade levels or various SNP tests that you can order.  We will forward your specific authorization to FTDNA Groups in order for them to attach it to your account.  As you can see, this is not a blanket authorization, but a specific instruction about what we are authorized to do.

I believe we will restrict this grant request to one per person to be fair to all.  In addition, relatives of Suzanne and me are not eligible to participate in this due to a conflict of interest.

Thank you again to all the generous Members whose contributions made this possible.  If you would like to join them or make additional contributions, please visit this website page:

https://www.familytreedna.com/group-general-fund-contribution.aspx

Thank you.
Arthur C. Barker

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 01:11:28 PM »

In order to make the incentive testing grant process more efficient, we are incorporating a Pre-Approval option for you to use if you wish.  If you know already a male Barker and a yDNA test that you want to conduct, you can submit a request to Suzanne or me to review this.  We will let you know if that meets the criteria for a grant.  At that point, you can provide your written authorization for that specific person and test, which we will then transmit to Family Tree DNA for them to attach to the file of the Kit, meeting their legal requirements.  At that point, the process is completely in your hands to decide when and even if you want to proceed.  You can wait for a Sale to get the best price or some other personal event that is a condition for your purchase.  As soon as you decide to proceed, simply send one of us an e-mail to let us know that you have funded your cost of the test by a contribution to the Project's General Fund and we will order the test and pay for the residual cost.  Once this Pre-Approval process is completed, we will allocate $25 to you for 12 months and make sure the funds are available to you by not approving any additional amounts that would cause the General Fund balance to fall below the minimum of $100.  This should allow for your timely participation in any future Family Tree DNA Sales.

I  sincerely appreciate all the contributions that Members have made to the Project's General Fund in order encourage other Members to do additional testing.  If you would like to make a contribution, please visit this website:

Thank you.
Arthur C. Barker

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2017, 03:59:53 PM »

As I feared, there were problems experienced in getting everything done during the recent Sales period with numerous delays.  Fortunately, the period was so long that there was margin to cover these delays.  This would not be the case during one of the "long weekend" Sales that Family Tree DNA (FTDNA) often has, such as for DNA and Father's Day.

Therefore, from now on, all paperwork for a Testing Incentive Grant must be completed prior to the start of a Sales period.  This means that the Grant must be approved and the FTDNA legally required authorization for the Administrator to order a test for someone must be written, submitted, forwarded to FTDNA, and confirmed by them before the Sales period begins.  There will be no exceptions to this, even during the long year-end holiday Sales period.

Also, please remember that not only are current Members eligible to receive a one-time Testing Incentive Grant for any yDNA test or upgrade, but new Members are also.  An Administrator can order tests for new Members with the proper authorization.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.248 seconds with 19 queries.