World Families Forums - FTDNA Sales

ARCHIVAL COPY
Home Help Search Login Register
This is an archival copy of the old forum. This copy does not allow new posts, nor can you log in to this forum.
For the current active forum, please visit https://www.worldfamilies.net/forum.

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'B'
| | |-+  Barker (Moderator: Arthur C. Barker)
| | | |-+  FTDNA Sales
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: FTDNA Sales  (Read 243 times)
Arthur C. Barker
Old Hand

« on: July 31, 2017, 07:34:23 PM »

Family Tree DNA will begin a month-long Sale tomorrow, 1 August 2017, at 1000 CDT.  I imagine you will receive an e-mail about this shortly.

For new tests, the following sales prices will go into effect until 31 August:

Family Finder - $69.00
Y-DNA37 - $139.00
Y-DNA37 and Family Finder - $198.00
Full Mitochondrial DNA Sequencing - $159.00
Full Mitochondrial DNA Sequencing and Family Finder - $218.00
Y-DNA67, Full Mitochondrial DNA Sequencing, and Family Finder - $430.00

For upgrades, the following sales prices will be offered until the end of next month:

Any Partial Mitochondrial DNA tests to Full Sequencing - $119.00
Y-DNA12 to Y-DNA37 - $69.00
Y-DNA25 to Y-DNA37 - $35.00
Y-DNA37 to Y-DNA67 - $79.00
Y-DNA37 to Y-DNA111 - $168.00
Y-DNA67 to Y-DNA111 - $99.00

And most stunning of all:

Big Y - $395.00

Let put the last in context a few ways.  First, Big Y was on Sale for $425.00 at the last DNA Day Sale in late April.  Second, if you happened to be able to grab one of the extremely rare $125.00 off coupons at the last Year-End Sale, you could have purchased Big Y for $400.00.  Third, FTDNA actually changed their minds today and sent out an update to project administrators, notifying them that the original Sales price for Big Y, which was going to be $449.00, was instead being reduced to just $395.00.

As a result of all of this, if any qualifying Project Member wants to also pick up the $25.00 Testing Incentive Award for any of the yDNA tests during this Sales period, I will waive my pre-notification requirements because of the extended time that we have.  But you must not wait too long to start the process.  I need to verify that the test order pertains to a current or new male Barker and transmit your written permission to FTDNA Groups that I can order the test for this person.  That is a legal requirement that FTDNA has.
Arthur C. Barker
Old Hand

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 07:53:53 PM »

Family Tree DNA has just informed project administrators that Family Finder, their atDNA test, is being offered for a limited time at a reduced price of $69.00.

They are not calling this a Sale since it has no terminal date.  But if you are interested in this, I would move quickly.

Most Members of The Barker DNA Project, like those in many other surname projects, seem to be far more interested in genealogy than they are in deep ancestry.  For genealogy, you want to test as many relatives as you can because the 22 pairs of Autosomes are created through recombination and the genetic contribution from any ancestor declines quite rapidly.  As a result, such tests only find about 50% of 4th Cousins (common ancestor five generations back) and it usually drops very rapidly after that, if the test is only from one person.  Because relatives inherit different combinations of genetic material from ancestors, some will pass the threshold of identification for these tests and some will not.  Therefore, you want to spread out and test as many as you can.  In addition, through triangulation (and phasing if possible) you can sometimes identify matches through genetics that have been missed by genealogical research or confirm ones that have been presumably found.
Arthur C. Barker
Old Hand

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 01:10:56 AM »

The traditional Family Tree DNA year-end Sale has begun and will run until 31 December.  You should have received details about the products on sale in an e-mail from them.  However, I will list them here for your reference and add some additional information.

New individual single or bundle tests:

Family Finder - $59.00
Full Mitochondrial Sequence (FMS) - $169.00
Y-DNA37 - $129.00
Y-DNA67 - $229.00
Y-DNA111 - $299.00
Family Finder and Y-DNA37 - $178.00
Family Finder and Y-DNA67 - $278.00
Family Finder and Full Mitochondrial Sequence (FMS) - $218.00
Family Finder, Y-DNA67 and Full Mitochondrial Sequence (FMS) - $442.00

Upgrades:

Mitochondrial (mt) or Mitochondrial Plus (mtPlus) to FMS - $119.00
Y-DNA12 to Y-DNA37 - $69.00
Y-DNA25 to Y-DNA37 - $35.00
Y-DNA37 to Y-DNA67 - $79.00
Y-DNA37 to Y-DNA111 - $168.00
Y-DNA67 to Y-DNA111 - $99.00

Other:

Big Y - $475.00

The last test is listed as an "upgrade" for Y-DNA111, but that is incorrect.  Y-DNA111 is the premium STR test and any SNP test does not represent an upgrade of an STR test.  Instead, what that is supposed to imply is the long-time requirement that someone must order some STR test, not necessarily Y-DNA111, before they order Big Y.

In addition to the sales prices above, weekly coupons are also being issued, as in previous years.  And also like in previous years, an online coupon code exchange has been set up where you can pick up unused coupons and share ones by posting them that you do not intend to use.  Here is the website address for the exchange:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CgXRKz2TySvRqSInveSIYoslO7yexAc9d-BzpNhaY1c/edit#gid=1193411620

If you do plan to use a coupon from the exchange, you might want to keep it open in another window or write several of them down when you place your order because one or more of them may have been used by then and not yet noted that they had been used.  Be sure to see that your product  and coupon code is reflected in your price before you place your order.  If the coupon does not change the price, simply put in another one until it does get reflected.  You can also back out of your order at any time up to the point where you submit it.
Arthur C. Barker
Old Hand

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 02:28:10 AM »

Slowly, word is leaking out about another Sale.  I do not know why Family Tree DNA (FTDNA) did not discuss this in either their Monday or Wednesday customer e-mails this past week.  But it first came up on an external website of a person involved with genetic genealogy and was confirmed when an FTDNA customer ordered Big Y for her Cousin and then was contacted later by FTDNA Customer Service to tell her that she had also just received a free STR upgrade to 111 markers for her Cousin.  This has now been confirmed also on an FTDNA marketing page.

If you order Big Y, they will give you a free upgrade of your STR test results to 111 markers.   As you know, Big Y is on sale now for $475.00 and the only coupons that I know about for sure are $25.00 off.  So, if you have taken any STR test (Y-DNA12 through Y-DNA67) and order Big Y, they will upgrade your STR results to 111 markers at no cost.

Because this is so irregular, I would recommend that you call FTDNA Customer Service to place your order and confirm with them that you will receive your free STR upgrade.  I doubt this will be shown in their online order form because of how irregular this is, both in content and timing.
Arthur C. Barker
Old Hand

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2017, 01:14:56 PM »

Family Tree DNA is conducting a Black Friday Sale within the much longer year-end Holiday Sale.

Until one minute before Midnight Pacific Standard Time on 27 November 2017, their Family Finder test can be purchased for $49.00 plus $4.95 for the test kit if required.  This is a reduction of $10.00 from the already lowered price of the year-end Holiday Sale.

This type of Autosomal DNA (atDNA) test is the primary genetic testing tool for those people interested in complete family genealogy, not simply the straight male and/or female ancestral lines.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.255 seconds with 19 queries.