World Families Forums - Dieterich Family of Hirschfeld, Hunsrück, Rhineland Palatinate

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 19, 2017, 10:52:21 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'D'
| | |-+  Dietz
| | | |-+  Dieterich Family of Hirschfeld, Hunsrück, Rhineland Palatinate
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dieterich Family of Hirschfeld, Hunsrück, Rhineland Palatinate  (Read 1066 times)
Robert Kelly Dazet

« on: April 19, 2017, 05:26:16 PM »

Are there any Dietrich Project members that have taken a DNA test, Y-DNA, mtDNA or atDNA here at FTDNA or Ancestry DNA, from Hirschfeld, Hunsrück, Rhineland Palatinate?  If so, what is your Haplogroup?  Our Dietrich haplogroup is E-M35 (Bill Dietrich).

Our Dietrich family according to church death records for Jakob Dietrich, lived in Kischker Hungary.

According to emigration and registration in Vienna, there were three families that were sent to Kischker:

Johann Nicolaus Dietrich and family from Hirschfeld, Pfalz

Johann Michael Dietrich and family cousin of Nicolaus, also from the Hirschfeld area.

Johann Valentine Dietrich and family from Mariental, Pfalz

Are your Dietrich Ancestors from from somewhere else in the Pfalz?

Now our closest DNA matches here at FTDNA are from Dresden, no where near the Pfalz.

I'm puzzled by that because I haven't heard of  German colonists in Hungary coming from Saxony.  I do know that some settled apparently in Siebenburgen/Transylvania.

I'm very surprised that this surname project doesn't have more discussion either in general about the surname Dietrich, or about DNA Haplogroups.

Regards,

Kelly
Robert Kelly Dazet

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 10:38:25 AM »

Well, since no one every replies to any of my posts, Bill Dietrich and I will just have to talk among ourselves!  He he, ho ho, ha ha! 

I have the impression there is no interest in this project! A project with no participation is not of much use! What a shame! 

Even the project admin seems to be absent!

Btw, this will be the first reply to any post for quite a long time.

ConnieB

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 05:44:35 PM »

I check in but no one ever is close to my Diederich line, which is still not in the surname list for 2 years now. The last city listed on the ship was Braunschweig but Leipsig is part of family oral history. Having the most common haplogroup in western Europe is not helpful either. I have birthdates for the 4 who got on the ship  as possible maiden names for 2 generations even but no records before that date in 1885.
Johann Dietrich

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 09:50:25 AM »

Hi Connie,

Did you mean that there is no match in this surname project yet? I understand that patience is a requirement for DNA testing, especially Y-DNA. No way of knowing whether someone with the right DNA will test. It doesn't help that DNA testing in Germany is not common, I understand because of privacy concerns.

Have you had any luck with traditional paper research on your family?  Of course we have to keep in mind that our ancestors often changed the spelling of the family surname when they arrive in North America, so when researching we have try many spelling variations.  I've found that Dieterich and Dietrich are the most common spellings in Germany. I believe there should be some good resources for Braunschweig.  I seem to have have the best luck using familysearch.org, but have found some ancestors using Ancestry.com.

I have found some good resources by joining email listservers for specific regions in Germany.  Of course speaking and writing German is helpful.

How many markers did you test for and have you tried any of SNP packs?  Also, the Germany Project is quite active and there are quite a few knowledgeable members that might help.

So far I've actually had better luck using my atDNA tests (FF and Ancestry DNA) using triangulation.  Family Tree DNA has a lot good tools for FF.  And of course you can use a third party utility like QEDmatch. 

Another good resource is Wikitree.com.  There are a lot Dietrichs there.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 1.207 seconds with 19 queries.