World Families Forums - Crawforth origins

ARCHIVAL COPY
Home Help Search Login Register

WorldFamilies has changed our Forum Operating system and migrated the postings from the prior system. We hope that you’ll find this new system easier to use and we expect it to manage spammers much better. If you can’t find an old posting, please check our Legacy Forum to see if you can see the old posting there.
+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'C'
| | |-+  CRAWFORD (Moderator: Bruce Crawford)
| | | |-+  Crawforth origins
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Crawforth origins  (Read 807 times)
argusy

« on: June 29, 2015, 08:48:58 PM »

I've traced my family back to a Christopher Crawforth circa 1525 in Lincolnshire. I've Googled "Crawforth", but all responses end up on a "Crawford" description, which is of Scots origin ("Crawforth"  is replaced by "Crawford" on several of the heraldry/name sites, but exactly the same description for both names). 

Does anyone know if the names Crawforth (or Crawforthe) have a different meaning from the Scots versions?  The name seems to predate the migration of Crawford families out of Scotland in the 17th century.

Durham, Yorkshire and Northumberland appear to be the same - there are a lot of Crawforths in the late 16th/early 17th century, becoming Crawford by the 18th, though there's some research that indicates Crauford/Crawford/Crawfurd families drifted down from Scotland to Northumberland.

Now here's an idea - maybe Crawforth families fled to Scotland in the 10th century, fleeing invaders. Demographics could support that, due to the huge number of Crawforths that existed in the 16th century in the above four English counties, compared to the Crawford population in the whole of Scotland, let alone Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire. Population flow north instead of south?

Could the name be referring to crows near an English creek instead?

It's just a thought...... (yeah, I know, go back to my corner.....)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 19 queries.