World Families Forums - My Mitochondrial DNA

ARCHIVAL COPY
Home Help Search Login Register
This is an archival copy of the old forum. This copy does not allow new posts, nor can you log in to this forum.
For the current active forum, please visit https://www.worldfamilies.net/forum.

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  Mitochondrial DNA
| | |-+  My Mitochondrial DNA
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My Mitochondrial DNA  (Read 3208 times)
Trish13
Old Hand

« on: August 02, 2013, 05:43:17 PM »

Hi :)

I have had my 4 great grandmothers' mitochondrial DNA checked.

The people who provided the DNA are:

My mother
My mother's 1st cousin on her father's side
My father's brother
My father's 1st cousin on his father's side.

The Haplogroup results are:

H
K
I
V

As far as I am aware all of these families are from the British Isles ~ certainly in recent generations they are.

I was surprised by these results. I really expected that two or three of them would be the same ~ probably 'H' because 'H' seems to be the 'common' one (so that I could say that at some stage we were related via this DNA, but I can't; well not until further back, anyway)

Is this unusual? Would most British / Irish families find their great grandmothers sharing mtDNA, or not?

I'd be interested in your thoughts :)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 05:43:48 PM by Trish13 » Logged
Trish13
Old Hand

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 08:52:35 PM »

Hi again :)

An additional question, please: I keep receiving mtDNA matches from FTDNA, but how useful are they if I haven't had the most advanced / complete test done?

APPLEGATE_J

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 08:17:54 PM »

My first mtDNA test (six years ago) was a disaster.  I am pleased with the full mtDNA test I have now.  I was lucky in that my sub group is relatively young, so matches are relatives.

Paternal: R-L2
Maternal: T2b15
Admix: English 38%, Irish 13%, Scotch 12%, unknown 12%, Dutch >11%, NormanEnglish 6%, German 4%, Indian <2%, Welsh 1% Native 0% 

Maternal: T2b15
Paternal: R-Z49 (Z142-, L562+, Z51+)
Mix: 42.5% unknown, 20.7% Engish, 14% Irish, 13.3% Dutch, 5.5% Scottish, 1.8% Welsh, 1.6% German, .2% Native, ? Indian.
joy9393

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 12:53:33 AM »

I was surprised by these results. I really expected that two or three of them would be the same ~ probably 'H' because 'H' seems to be the 'common' one (so that I could say that at some stage we were related via this DNA, but I can't; well not until further back, anyway)

Whether you want to pass EC0-350 exams or looking for Dean College certification, our Youtube can provide guaranteed success
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 18 queries.