World Families Forums - test suggestions?

ARCHIVAL COPY
Home Help Search Login Register
This is an archival copy of the old forum. This copy does not allow new posts, nor can you log in to this forum.
For the current active forum, please visit https://www.worldfamilies.net/forum.

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'R'
| | |-+  Robbins (Moderator: Richard Robbins)
| | | |-+  test suggestions?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: test suggestions?  (Read 1572 times)
seabeelarry

« on: June 02, 2013, 06:18:50 AM »

what test is a good place to start?
A Y37, family finder or other??

I have a pretty good paper trail of my father's line, (ROBBINS), back to 1824, where I loose it.
(my GG grandfather)
In my family tree search, I have found references from different relatives as to where they immigrated from. (Scottish, German).

On my Mother's side, they have kept outstanding records going back to the early 1700's. So, I have been focusing on my father's side more.

Will a Y test help with the ROBBINS side heritage question & would it help to continue my line prior to 1824 ?

Or, as a co-worker suggested, should  do the Autosomal DNA test?

Thank you,

surname:  ROBBINS
Bronco480

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 05:52:58 PM »

Yes, a FTDNA test on a male Robbins relative will bring some answers to you, I'd say. It worked for me, anyway. Where is your Robbins line from in 1824?

what test is a good place to start?
A Y37, family finder or other??

I have a pretty good paper trail of my father's line, (ROBBINS), back to 1824, where I loose it.
(my GG grandfather)
In my family tree search, I have found references from different relatives as to where they immigrated from. (Scottish, German).

On my Mother's side, they have kept outstanding records going back to the early 1700's. So, I have been focusing on my father's side more.

Will a Y test help with the ROBBINS side heritage question & would it help to continue my line prior to 1824 ?

Or, as a co-worker suggested, should  do the Autosomal DNA test?

Thank you,
seabeelarry

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 06:18:00 PM »

I have 2 reports...
One, said Niagara area of New York (could even be Canada side..???)

Secound, said New Jersey area...which I tend to believe more as my GG-grandmother was born in Essex, New Jersey, and still has family there.

And, thank you, I will follow up with the FTDNA Y-37 to start see where I go from there.

Thank you,

surname:  ROBBINS
Richard Robbins

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 10:33:08 PM »

Larry, if you get the test, and you are a direct descendant of a male Robbins, (if your last name is Robbins) then please join the Robbins surname study at:

https://www.familytreedna.com/public/Robins/

I have 2 reports...
One, said Niagara area of New York (could even be Canada side..???)

Secound, said New Jersey area...which I tend to believe more as my GG-grandmother was born in Essex, New Jersey, and still has family there.

And, thank you, I will follow up with the FTDNA Y-37 to start see where I go from there.

Thank you,
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.269 seconds with 20 queries.