World Families Forums - A SNP tested by Geno 2.0 now mean FTDNA a la carte test not available later?

ARCHIVAL COPY
Home Help Search Login Register
This is an archival copy of the old forum. This copy does not allow new posts, nor can you log in to this forum.
For the current active forum, please visit https://www.worldfamilies.net/forum.

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  R1b General (Moderator: Maliclavelli)
| | |-+  A SNP tested by Geno 2.0 now mean FTDNA a la carte test not available later?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A SNP tested by Geno 2.0 now mean FTDNA a la carte test not available later?  (Read 2019 times)
delegz

« on: December 05, 2012, 03:20:13 PM »

I'm U152/L2/Z49/Z142+  L562-/L594-  and I'd like to test for Z150 downstream. Geno 2.0 does test for this SNP, but instead of forking over more money to get the entire gamut of non-U152 SNPs tested for by Geno 2.0 now, if possible I'd rather save some money by waiting until FTDNA offers an a la carte test for Z150 at some point down the line.

What are the chances that I could be waiting indefinitely for a particular a la carte test to become available? 

Thanks
gtc
Old Hand

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 04:37:40 PM »

I'm U152/L2/Z49/Z142+  L562-/L594-  and I'd like to test for Z150 downstream. Geno 2.0 does test for this SNP, but instead of forking over more money to get the entire gamut of non-U152 SNPs tested for by Geno 2.0 now, if possible I'd rather save some money by waiting until FTDNA offers an a la carte test for Z150 at some point down the line.

What are the chances that I could be waiting indefinitely for a particular a la carte test to become available? 

Thanks

Thomas Krahn, FTDNA's lab director, is on record as saying that he will endeavor to provide as many "new" Geno 2 SNPs as possible for individual testing, once they are published.

Y-DNA: R1b-Z12* (R1b1a2a1a1a3b2b1a1a1) GGG-GF Ireland (roots reportedly Anglo-Norman)
mtDNA: I3b (FMS) Maternal lines Irish
wing_genealogist

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 04:53:15 PM »

It must be remembered that the differences between the chip-based GenoChip and the standard SNP testing at FTDNA means in some rare cases FTDNA may not be able to make a SNP available for an a la carte purchase (just as some SNPs FTDNA has available cannot be placed on the GenoChip).

I'm not exactly sure WHY this happens, but I do know this does happen (on rare occasions). I also don't know which SNPs fall into this (fortunately limited) circumstance.

Y-DNA - R1b M157.2 (a private/family subclade of Z6/Z352) 111 markers tested

mt-DNA - J1c2g with the following private mutations: 315.1C 522.1A 522.2C C9974T C16256T (FMS tested and submitted to GenBank)

Autosomal - shows as a typical English ancestry. Tested with 23andMe, FTDNA
Peter M

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 07:16:49 PM »

Thanks

These chances are significant, as FT-DNA are offering an à la carte test for only a minority of all known SNPs and a few have been "in the pipeline" for a significant amount of time.

In your case it might be an idea to get a little bit more active and prepare a full business case for FT-DNA; after all they are in this trying to make money.

Get a group of people together who confirm in writing (email) that they are planning to order the SNP when it gets available. If you have such a list (and I guess one or two people will be less than impressive), we will suggest further steps.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 18 queries.