Join the Zachary DNA
There are several ways to join The Zachary Surname DNA Project:
Option 1 - When you have not started a DNA test:
- If you wish to be a member without ordering a test and would like to be notified of test result updates by email, contact Matthew Zachary.
- Ordering a test through the project will automatically make you a member of the project (tests at Family Tree DNA cost less when you order them through a surname project). Click here to place an order through the Zachary Project for a DNA test (you will be taken to the FTDNA order site - please select the Y-DNA37 test).
Option 2 - Your Family Tree DNA test is complete:
FTDNA makes it easy for you to join the project (there is no charge to join):
- Go to Family Tree DNA http://www.familytreedna.com and sign in using the kit number and password they gave you.
- In your FTDNA personal page (upper part of left column) is a link labeled "Join Projects." Click on that link.
- Select the surname of the project you wish to join (or type in Zachary in the search field and click search).
- Then click through multiple choices to join. FTDNA allows each participant to belong to multiple projects.
When you have joined the project, the Project Administrator will be notified by FTDNA, and your results will be available for posting on the Project's Results Page.
Or, you can email FTDNA and ask them to transfer you into the project: http://www.familytreedna.com/contact.aspx
Option 3 - Your (Alternate Testing Company) DNA test is complete:
If you were tested at the National Geographic Genographic Project (NGGP):
- You can transfer your results and your retained sample to Family Tree DNA by doing the following:
- Go to your National Geographic Genographic Project page.
- Log in using your kit number.
- On the next page, click on "I acknowledge".
- On the next page, scroll all the way down to the bottom. You will see "learn more" in small blue letters near the bottom of the page. Click on it.
- Check "I agree".
- Fill out the FTDNA form "Adding Your Record to FTDNA" and click "Continue"
- You should be able to finish it from there.
Once you have been transferred into FamilyTreeDNA, you will be given access to a "personal page".
- In your FTDNA personal page (upper part of left column) is a link labeled "Join Projects". Click on that button.
- Select the surname of the project you wish to join (you may have to search for it).
- Then click through multiple choices to join.
- When you have joined the project, the Project Administrator will be notified by FTDNA, and your results will be available for posting on the Project's Results Page.
- If you were tested at Ancestry.com, GeneTree, and Sorenson's SMGF:
You can transfer into FTDNA for $19 at: http://www.familytreedna.com/landing/ydna-transfer.aspx
PLEASE NOTE: We strongly encourage you to pay the additional $39 ($58 total) and upgrade your results one level for a better comparison.
- If you are tested at some other company:
It is up to the Project Administrators to decide whether to add your results to the project's Results Page. Contact the Project Administrator to find out if your results can be included in the project.
If you still have questions, please contact one of the Project Administrators.