Project Home Page FTDNA is having a Holiday Sale Through Dec. 31, 2013
We are currently looking for male Zachary (and surname variations listed below) descendants to provide their DNA for this project. Of particular interest are any male descendants of John Zachary (b. Abt 1760 in Virginia) and Katie Blackstone (b. Abt 1779 in Henry County, Virginia). John and Katie are listed at the beginning of an unconnected line in "The Zachary Family Westward from 1680-2000" book authored by Terri A. Zachary Coleman and Beverly Zachary Layton.
We have already discovered three separate Zachary family lines with just 6 volunteers! The test results show the three Zachary family lines are not related to each other within a minimum of 15 generations. Please review the Patriarchs and Test Results pages to compare the conventional paper trails vs. DNA.
If you have the following Surnames, you are welcome to join this project:
Zachary, Zackery, Zachery, Zakery, Zakry, Zaccary, Zachry, Zykorie, Zacharie, Sakry, Sakyre, Sachary, Sachry, Sacrey, Sacre, Sacrye, Sakary, Sacree, Sakarye, Sacary, Saccary, Sacry, Sakre and any other spelling variant not listed!
(If your surname is not included please contact a Project Administrator (contact links are at the bottom of the page.)
The Project is open to all families with these spelling variations. The Project is also open to other family surnames where adoption or alternate parentage exists.
If you wish to be a member without ordering a test and would like to be notified of test result updates by email, contact Matthew Zachary.
Financial assistance is available to those who cannot afford the entire cost of the test. Please contact either Project Administrator, listed at the bottom of the page, for more information.
Ready to submit your DNA to the project? Click the Order Test link (within the top black menu bar at the top of this page - you will be taken to the FamilyTreeDNA website) or click here - Please select the Y-DNA37 test.
If you would like more information than is stated on these pages, contact either Project Administrator listed at the bottom of the page.
The Zachary Surname DNA Project Objectives:
- Build a database of Zachary (or in some cases alternate surname) lineages, grouped by DNA signature - those within a given lineage can compare and see where to focus their conventional paper trail research.
- Find proof of surname change - since there are so many variations to the name Zachary, DNA can help track down name changes.
- Make research easier by ruling out unrelated Zachary branches.
- Discover geographic origins in another continent or country.
Participating in any Surname DNA Project provides:
- Your paternal line prehistoric origins (Also known as Haplogroup - clicking this hyperlink will open a new window and take you to the FTDNA FAQ page).
- A sense of camaraderie, which is particularly strong for those who share a genetic ancestry - we begin to realize we are a World Family.
- Stimulation to research the convential paper trail and renewed information sharing.
- A way to confirm if your ancestors changed their name, either slightly or to something completely different.
- Genetic matches who do not share your common surname (i.e. adoption, alternate paternity).
- A better understaning of our ancestors - particularly where the records have been lost (due to war, fire, flood, etc.).
- Pedigrees and a genetic connection catalog of all known project families.