Join the The Sargent DNA Project
Surnames in this Project: Our project is open to any male of any of the listed surnames or to any man believing that he is descended from one of those names. Participants are sought from all parts of the world.
Project Discussion: The DNA information is to be used in conjunction with historical and traditional research. DNA results do not often “prove” a relationship, but can be quite helpful in guiding research. If a DNA profile does not match traditional genealogy, a hypothesized relationship may be incorrect. At other times DNA results may point to an unknown adoption in the family, or some other so-called non-paternity event.
The tested individual must be a male that wants to check his paternal line (father's father's ... father's line). Females should look for a brother or cousin or more distant male relative with that surname to be tested.
Females can also order a test for themselves, which will be the mtDNA or mtDNAPlus, but the results of their test do not tie to the Surname Project.
Click here to place an order for a DNA test at Family Tree DNA
What are the specifics?
The test will be conducted by Family Tree DNA, of Houston TX, the World's leading testing company for Surname DNA Projects. All tests include an estimate of the "Haplogroup" (an indication of deep ancestry).
- We personally recommend the largest number of markers that you can afford. We expect that most serious researchers will eventually upgrade to 37 markers - if they don't start there.
- 37 marker test $219
- 25 marker test is $169
- 12 marker screening test is $99
Add $2 for US postage and $4 for international postage
- NOTE: the 12 marker test is not enough to confirm a genealogical connection. We have two Sargent participants that match on 11 out of the first 12 markers, but since both used a 25 marker test, we see that 6 of the following 13 markers don't match! Therefore, there is no genealogical relationship connecting them.
- The test is a simple cheek swab. The kit will arrive and leave your house by mail. You simply rub the inside of your cheek a number of times with a special scraper, put the kit back into the envelope, and put it in the mail.
- If you wish to participate, you may place an order for a DNA test and submit your pedigree..
Click here to go to the WFN Forum and submit your Pedigree Info.
(We will move it to the Patriarch Page)
What do I do if I have questions?
Please read Getting Yourself Tested at World Families Network.
Please read the Freq Asked Questions at World Families Network.
If you still have questions, contact one of the Project Administrators listed below.