Family Tree DNA recently transitioned from an old haplogroup naming convention to a new naming convention, called the short-hand convention, which consists of a single-letter prefix, followed by a dash and the name of your terminal Single Nucleotide Polymorphism (SNP), tested or predicted. That single-letter prefix is the first letter of the major branch of the Y-DNA phylogenetic tree to which you belong (such as Haplogroup R or Haplogroup I).
The Phillips DNA chart on the Family Tree DNA website has already been converted to the new system. I have begun to convert the chart on our independent website but it will be a long, slow process because it has to be done kit by kit. I can’t simply use Excel’s find and replace tool because Family Tree DNA did not do a one-to-one conversion. In other words, they did not create a conversion table where, for example, R1b1a2 = R-M269. They created an entirely new prediction routine which produces different results for men within the same family group, based on how many and what kind of markers have been tested in each man.
The important thing to remember is everyone in your Phillips Family Y-DNA Group belongs to the same haplogroup, even though it may not look like that on the chart. If everyone in your family group tested the same number and type of markers, everyone would have the same haplogroup designation. If you are interested in reading a more detailed analysis of this topic, here is a link to a blog written by Roberta Estes:
Featured Phillips Articles
Some Phillips in Virginia: 1607 to 1640
by Michael W. Phillips (Phillips Family DNA Group 3)
Research of persons in early Virginia is seriously hampered by the severe loss of early records; however, several valuable sources remain. Until its charter was revoked in 1624, the Virginia Company kept extensive records in Britain that have been preserved and are available. John Camden Hotten compiled extensive information regarding the early immigration of settlers to British America from various lists of names found in the British Public Records Office which he published in 1874 that includes some passenger lists and the two early Jamestown colony censuses. These are the census of February 1623/24 (which includes a list of those who died between April 1622/23 and February 1623/24) and the census of early 1624/25 (which includes the date of arrival and ship name for most persons listed). Although most early records of the General Court held monthly at James City (Jamestown) are lost, a few records survived including those for the years 1622-1632.
Nell Marion Nugent compiled and edited the early data from the land patent books which was published as a three volume set entitled Cavaliers and Pioneers, Volume I of which covers Patent Books 1-5 and the years 1623-1666. For most of its first century there was a "headright" system in Virginia to promote immigration that offered 50 acres of public land for every person entering Virginia payable to the person who covered the cost of transportation. Slavery did not become important in Virginia until late in the 17th Century so before that time most of the bound labor force was indentured white European servants who were usually bound for 7 years and who made up the majority of imported headrights during this period. A large number of transcriptions of these patents (but certainly not all) has been preserved starting from about the time when Virginia became a Royal Colony in 1624 and include the name of each headright claimed for a patent, thus they represent some of the most comprehensive information available about early immigrations and settlement in Virginia.
This article covers the Phillips in the entire colony for the period up until around 1640, a bit beyond the time of the establishment of the first eight counties (“original shires”) in 1634. It is not clear when the first Phillips arrived in Virginia; however, there were none listed among the passengers on the three original ships that arrived in May 1607, nor on the compiled passenger lists for the first (January 1607/08) and the second supply (Fall 1608) missions; however, by the early 1620’s there were several Phillips living in the colony. The absence of records normally makes it extremely difficult, if not impossible, to trace individuals with any confidence and given the extremely high mortality rates of the first few decades, there are undoubtedly a substantial number of people who left no evidence whatsoever of their short existence in Virginia.
JOHN PHILLIPS AT FLOWERDEW HUNDRED
A John Phillips (Philips) was among the six settlers reported killed in the Indian attack of March 22, 1621/22 at Flowerdew Hundred Plantation on the south side of the James River in what is now Prince George County. At the time of the massacre, Flowerdew Hundred was owned by Sir George Yeardley, so this is almost assuredly the same John Phillips who arrived in Virginia on the “Temperance” in 1621 as one of 20 indentured servants imported at the expense of Governor Yeardley.
A John Phillips appears in the records of the General Court session held at James City (Jamestown) on 11 October 1627:
“It is ordered that John Phillips & Joan White for their offence in committing fornication, whereby the said Joan hath had a bastard, shall be whipped at ye Post at James Citty & receive 40 stripes a piece. And farther [further] that Mr. Persey [Abraham Peirsey who, as a member of the Council, was a Justice of the Court], doe take such course as they may be separated and not suffered to come together.”
Because Abraham Peirsey purchased Flowerdew Hundred (and presumably the servants that staffed it) from Yeardley in 1624, it is likely that this is where these two servants resided. For this reason, it is possible that the John Phillips reported killed at Flowerdew Hundred during the March 1621/22 massacre may have survived and may be the same John Phillips who was involved with Joan White, although neither he nor White appears in the 1623/24 or 1624/25 censuses.
There were also several other John Phillips in Virginia during this timeframe as well: 1) one who was reported on the February 1623/24 census as having died during the preceding year at "Elizabeth Cittie" (which today lies within the City of Hampton, VA.); 2) one, age 28, who sailed from England on 31 July 1635 for Virginia on the “Merchant’s Hope”, Hugh Wesson, Master but who has not been definitely identified in any records in Virginia; and 3) three from new patents (dated 1635-1638) for land in the Lynnhaven area near the mouth of Chesapeake Bay with each listing a John Phillips as a headright. However, given the timing and location of these three patents along with the history of irregularities associated with headrights, these patents could represent anywhere from one to three different individual John Phillips.
SOME EARLY THOMAS PHILLIPS
There were at least four Thomas Phillips who migrated to Virginia and are thought to have arrived in 1618, 1619, 1620 and 1622, respectively. There is also a Thomas “Phillipps” listed as owning one share (worth 12 pounds, 10 shillings) of Company stock on the 1618 (or 1619) list of shareholders who appeared again on the June 22, 1620 list as Thomas “Philips” still holding one share. At maturity each share of stock entitled the owner to claim 100 acres in Virginia and some immigrants during this period obtained land this way as their “dividend”, usually upon their arrival. Of course many stock holders simply sold their stock and never immigrated which may be the case for this Thomas as there is no evidence suggesting he was ever in Virginia.
After these four, the next Thomas Phillips known to have gone to Virginia comes from a patent issued to John Graves on 9 August 1637 for 600 acres in Elizabeth City County that claimed 12 headrights including both a Thomas Phillipps and a Robert Phillipps who were perhaps related and were presumably indentured servants. There is a record of a “Tho. Phillips", age 24, (but no Robert) as a passenger on the “Assurance” that departed London for Virginia on July 24, 1635 who may (or may not) be the headright in Grave's patent as that is the only patent listing a Thomas Phillips that even remotely corresponds to the timeframe when he should have arrived. While four is the minimal number of early arrivals of that name, it may also be the actual true number of Thomas Phillips in Virginia during this timeframe but if, and only if, all other records for every subsequent Thomas Phillips discussed below refers to one of these four. Given the absence of records, unfortunately many attempts to connect these "sightings" are tenuous at best and sometimes impossible.
The 1623/24 census lists three Thomas Phillips, called here Thomas (3), who was likely a servant, living at one of the five plantations "across the river" from Jamestown, probably Hugh Crowder's small plantation; Thomas (2) who lived at Chaplin's Choice, Isaac Chaplin's settlement located on what is now called Jordan's point on the south side of James River in Prince George Co., and Thomas (1). Only Thomas (1), who arrived in 1619, can confidently be connected to one of the two Thomas Phillips who appear on the 1624/25 census taken a little over a year later.
The Thomas Who Arrived in 1618
Except for Thomas (1), the only other Thomas Phillips listed on the 1624/25 census is a Thomas “Phillipes”, age 26, who is the earliest known Phillips in Virginia, having arrived in 1618 on the “William and Thomas”. He together with his wife, Elizabeth “Phillipes”, age 23, who arrived on the “Sea Flower” in 1621, resided at Capt. Nathaniel Basses' settlement called Basses Choice in present day Isle of Wight County near Smithfield, Virginia. Parsimony would suggest that this Thomas is either is either Thomas (2) or (3) from the 1623/24 census and that may well be the case; however, there is insufficient information to make any such link so he is called Thomas (4). It is not known if Elizabeth (or Thomas, for that matter) first arrived as a servant or as a free person; however, ordinarily servants were not permitted to marry, so Elizabeth, who arrived several years after her husband, may have come over with family members or perhaps in one of the groups of maidens that the Virginia Company sent over from time to time as potential wives for the settlers, who, upon marriage, had to reimburse the Company for the cost of the wife’s transportation. Based on the Basse connection, Thomas (4) was likely the witness to a contract signed on 18 April 1625 by London based Merchant Humphrey Rastell (who was in Virginia on business) that promised should he, Rastell, fail to deliver a young male indentured servant to Capt. Nathaniel Basse by 20 November 1625 he would pay a penalty of 500 pounds of tobacco, the common currency in Virginia at that time.
Sometime, probably in the early 1630s, Thomas (4) and his family returned to England for a visit and probably to secure some indentured servants because on 9 July 1635 Thomas “Phillipps” patented 300 acres on the Chickahominy River, claiming six headrights: three persons who were probably indentured servants, as well as himself, his wife Elizabeth and his daughter, also Elizabeth. The very next day a Rowland Chambers received a patent for 50 acres from his former master, Thomas (4) Phillips, in the very same area as part of his “dues” payable upon completion of his indenture, normally 7 years. The fact that Thomas (4) had one servant complete an indenture and apparently others starting new contracts suggests that he was probably a successful tobacco grower. During this early period many growers leased the land they farmed and it is likely that Thomas (4) was also farming leased land up until 1635 when he patented his own land. There are also two patents concerning a 500 acre tract of land owned by Thomas Crompe (also "Crumpe") that also point to that conclusion. This tract was in what was called the “Necke of Land Neare James Citty”, which was located on the mainland directly north of the back side of Jamestown Island with the "neck" being formed by Powhatan Creek on the west and by Mill Creek about 1-2 miles to the east. The first of these two patents is a 28 September, 1633 patent that mentions Thomas Crompe's land as adjacent to the “land in the tenure of Thomas Phillipps”, which suggests that Phillips was leasing or renting the land because, had he owned it, the patent would have read “adjacent to the land belonging to Thomas Phillips...” or “adjacent to the land of Thomas Phillips”. He would not have likely leased land without farming it, so he was probably either living on the land itself or very nearby at this time. The second patent, dated 29 May 1638, refers to “…land recently in the tenure of Thomas Phillipps” which indicates that sometime between September 1633 and May 1638 Thomas relinquished his lease on this land. The fact that Thomas (4) patented 300 acres of his own during this time interval in 1635, while not conclusive, does strongly suggest that Thomas Crompe's neighbor was also Thomas (4) who would have no need to renew his lease after acquiring land of his own. There is a 1629 General Court record indicating that a Thomas Phillipps was given a letter of administration for the Estate of William Barnes, deceased, who was also connected by an earlier lawsuit to Thomas Crompe and, although this link is a tenuous one, it does point to this Thomas also possibly being Thomas (4).
Finally, there is a court record from the High Court of the Admiralty in England that cannot be directly connected to any specific Thomas Phillips previously discussed; however, it involves a successful tobacco grower which, given the limited information available, would at least seem to point to Thomas (4). The case involves a complaint brought against Francis Gawden by plaintiffs Samuel Langham and Thomas Phillips. The suit concerned damages or losses that Phillips’ tobacco suffered while being transported from Virginia to his London agent, Samuel Langham, on the “Abigall” which arrived in Weymouth, England in February or March of 1628/29 under the command of Captain Gawden. This court record only provided testimony in the suit and did not include a verdict or the final outcome.
The Thomas Who Arrived in 1619
Thomas (1) Phillips and Francis Barrett, both arrived in Virginia on the “Bona Nova” , probably in 1619, and appear as servants in “Liuetennt" Edward Barkley's household on Hogg (or Hog) Island along with Barkley's wife (who also arrived on the "Sea Flower" in 1621) and daughter, both named Jane. Hogg Island is a short distance downstream from Jamestown near the opposite south shore of the James River, yet a year earlier the 1623/24 census found Barkley, his wife (but no daughter), Phillips and Barrett living some 30 or more miles downriver in Elizabeth Cittie. By 1626, Thomas (1) and Barrett had completed their indentures, Lt. Barkley was dead and his widow Jane had married Capt. Nicolas Maritiau (and many believe that through this marriage she is the great-great-great-grandmother of George Washington). Based on the Hogg Island association, it is almost certain that it was also Thomas (1) Phillips who was one of several witnesses who testified against an accused thief, Hogg Island resident Henry Woodward, in the General Court at James City on August 28, 1626. About four months later on December 18, 1626, the same Thomas (1) Phillips petitioned the General Court (that refers to him as “a former planter at Hog Island”) to relocate from Hogg Island to the nearby Mathews Plantation, further evidence that he was now a free man.
The Thomas Who Arrived in 1620
There was a Thomas Phillips who was one of 20 detainees ordered by the Governor’s Court of Bridewell in December 1619 to “be kept to go for Virginia”. In such cases, those deported from Britain to the New World were typically bound out as indentured servants as a means of recovering the costs of their transportation and maintenance. Of these 20 prisoners, only 2 could be unambiguously identified on the 1624/25 census and both came to Virginia in 1620 on the “Duty” as presumably did this Thomas Phillips. This Thomas could conceivably be the Thomas (2) or (3) from the 1623/24 census but it is much more likely that he was the Thomas “Philips” who was one of the 7 people killed in the Indian attack of March 22, 1621/22, across the river from Flowerdew Hundred in what is today Charles City County as he is the only Thomas Phillips known to have been in Virginia at that time who cannot otherwise be accounted for.
The Thomas Who Arrived in 1622
This Thomas “Philips” departed England in July 1622, and “went to Virginia on the “James” with William Felgate”. William Felgate, an active member of the Virginia Company, was a London Merchant and one of several Felgate brothers with connections to the colony. His brother Tobias Felgate was the captain of the "James" at this time and had made numerous voyages to Virginia. This was a “business trip” for Felgate who was delivering seven indentured servants to their new masters in Virginia. This Thomas Phillips arrived too late to have been killed in the Indian attack and, although he cannot be unambiguously identified in any latter Virginia records, it is entirely possible (or even likely) that he was Thomas (3), or perhaps Thomas (2), from the 1623/24 census. It is also likely that he was dead by the time of the 1624/25 census, although he does not appear in the lists of those who had died during the previous year.
A Final Thomas Phillips Sighting
There is no way of knowing exactly who the Thomas Phillips involved in the following episode was. Of the known Thomas Phillips, the most likely candidate would appear to be Thomas (1); however, this is a purely speculative as there is not any firm evidence to make any connection.
Governor Sir John Harvey was unpopular in many quarters in Virginia and as his opposition mounted, he became progressively harsher in dealing with his critics. In 1636, he even had several of his opponents on the Virginia Council of State arrested and sent to England on charges of treason. He was particularly harsh during in his second tour of governor (1636-1639) when the Privy Council (on behalf of the King) reinstated him after the (Virginia) Council of State had forced his resignation in 1635. It was probably sometime during this second term of office when a Thomas Phillips was banished from Virginia for speaking disrespectfully of Governor Harvey. He probably returned to England, or perhaps to another British colony in the Americas, but in any event, once Harvey was removed again in 1639, this time by the Crown, Thomas appealed to the Privy Council to have his banishment ended which they did:
“Recommend to the new Governor and Council of Virginia the case of Thomas Phillips, who was banished for speaking insulting words about Sir John Harvey. Phillips has asked permission to return to Virginia and the subcommittee for foreign plantations has no objection. Whitehall. 23 October 1639.”
If this Thomas Phillips thought that his troubles were now over, he was sadly mistaken as indicated by the following decree of the General Court in Jamestown on June 4, 1640, in response to his petition to them.
“Upon the petition of Thomas Phillips whereas he complaineth to the Court that much of his estate is disposed of and embezzled to sinister purposes by his wife in his absence and part of the said estate is in possession of Stephen Hamblen, John [name unclear] and Nicholas Coming, the court hath ordered that a warrant shall issue out against the parties at the suit of the said Phillips and that he shall hereby have the power with the assistance of a constable to search all said houses as he justly suspects wherein any of his said goods may be found and that the said goods found shall be seized on and remain in the custody of such officer as shall be employed in the said search until the said Phillips shall make appear that said goods do of right belong unto him.
It is not known how many of his possessions, if any, Thomas recovered or how the situation played out for him and his wife because, although it was common for a person to be married several times over a lifetime due to the high mortality rates, divorce was illegal and exceptions were so rare as to be virtually unknown at this time.
Early Years in Virginia
Elmer Phillipps came to Virginia in late 1622, along with his indentured servant, Daniel Franck, in the Southampton under the command of Captain James Chester. A London Court Record dated September 5, 1622 indicates that Franck was a convicted felon who was given a reprieve and was being exiled to Virginia as a servant indentured to Phillips who was to pay his passage. They probably departed for Virginia shortly after this court hearing and probably arrived in Virginia a couple months after that. In the court records Elmer is sometimes referred to as “Elmer Phillipps, gentleman” and, in one instance, as “Mr.” Phillips, all of which indicates he had some standing within the social order of the community. The fact that Elmer brought along a laborer but did not immediately buy or claim land of his own suggests that, like many during this early period, he probably intended to lease land, perhaps as a Company tenant. Franck was a prisoner in White Lion, Southwark (London) at the time of his reprieve and within a year of his arrival in Virginia he was in serious legal trouble again for theft. Franck was not very careful as to whose property he stole as he took a few small items from Randall Smallwood, the provost marshal of the colony, but his more serious offence was butchering one of (former and also future governor) Sir George Yeardley’s calves, a crime for which Franck was sentenced to death and hanged. The census of 1623/24 shows Elmer Phillips among those living at West and Sherlow (Shirley) on February 16th and Daniell Francke as one of the eleven residents from there who had died during the previous year. This settlement was originally the plantation of the Governor, Lord Delaware (Sir Thomas West) and his father-in-law Sir Thomas Sherlow and was located in what is today the extreme southeastern corner of Charles City County. Edward Hill bought the tract in 1638 and his granddaughter Elizabeth Hill and her husband John Carter built the Shirley Plantation manor house on the site which still remains in the Hill/Carter family.
Living at Jamestown
Elmer is not listed on the 1624/25 Muster although he was probably living in Virginia at the time. It appears that Elmer moved from West and Shirley to Jamestown sometime before August 1626 when he testified on behalf of Jamestown resident Robert Marshall in a labor dispute with a Richard Alford. A month later at the next General Court session held in Jamestown on 18 September 1626, Elmer Phillips was back in court, this time testifying about Richard Taylor and Sergeant Sharpe’s harsh public reactions to a new highly unpopular proclamation (so unpopular that was soon withdrawn) from the Governor and Council that, in order to facilitate the collection of duty taxes, each plantation or settlement should appoint a single purchasing agent who would be the only one allowed to make all purchases on behalf of all residents of that entire plantation or settlement. The wording on a 20 September, 1628, patent referring to a tract adjacent to land “now in the occupation of Elmer Phillipps” on Jamestown Island indicates that Elmer was leasing or renting this land and did not own it.
During his residence on Jamestown Island, Elmer frequently appeared in the records along with the Thomas Crompe, who a few years later owned land adjacent to Thomas (4) Phillips on the nearby "Neck of Land" near Jamestown. In December 1626, Elmer Phillips and Thomas Crompe were witnesses to a bill of sale of land from John Gundry to Capt. Adam Thorogood. In September, 1627, Elmer Phillips and Thomas "Crumpe” both swore in court that John Crannidge was "in perfect sense & memory" at the time he made his will. Elmer Phillipps and Thomas "Crumpe" were also called upon to testify in court on 2 March 1628/29 that the will of Abraham Porter presented in court was his true last will and testament and that he was mentally competent at the time he wrote the will. Within a three month period from January to March 1628/29, Elmer Phillips and Thomas Crompe also served together on juries for two different murder trials. The first case in January involved the murder of John Burrows by a 13 or 14 year old servant, William Reade, that began as an argument over borrowing Reade's knife which led to a shoving match and the stabbing of Burrows which Reade claimed was accidental. Reade was found guilty of manslaughter (a capital offense) and demanded "benefit of clergy" before sentencing which, in the absence of a prior criminal record, he was allowed to do and which provided punishment through Church law rather than through the usually much more punitive civil law. Reade was ultimately freed; however, there is no record as whether or not he received any lesser punishment such as branding.
The second trial held in March centered on the death of Thomas Godby, an Elizabeth City planter, who on the evening of February 8th 1628/29, joined several other men from his neighborhood at the house of William Parker. After supper the guests consumed a 5 pint bottle of burnt claret of which Godby had about four cups. During this time a boat ran aground on the shoals near Parker’s house and shortly thereafter William Bently, another man from this neighborhood who had been in the boat, came into the house “…and asked if that were their orders to heare men call and not come to helpe them out of the water whereunto Godby answered: ‘doe you thinke wee have nothing to doe but fetch you out of the water’.” Bently and Godby were about the same age (early forties) whereas most of the others in the room were only in their early-to-mid twenties, and judging from some of the insults, there may have already been some animosity between them before this incident which is perhaps why only Godby and Bently were involved these exchanges. As they all sat around the fire on “formes” (stools), these two continued to trade insults with Bently calling Godby a “Cuckold” and Godby replying “I were as good bee a Cuckold as a Cuckold maker” at which point, Bently, who was sitting to the left of Godby, struck him with his right hand knocking Godby to the floor and then stood up and began kicking him at which point the others broke up the fight. They then picked Godby up and sat him on a chair but he complained of a pain in his side that was evidently so great that he got up and started pacing back and forth across the room in pain. They first tried to take him to one of the other nearby houses belonging to one of the guests so that he might lie down in bed, but after about 15 minutes they brought him back to Parker’s house and put him in bed there, where he cried out several times “O Mr. Bently you have killed me” and finally, “Lord have mercy upon us Lord Jesus receive my soul” after which he became quiet. The guests, thinking he was asleep, left the room, but the next morning he was found dead. Bently was found guilty of manslaughter and, upon receiving the verdict, immediately demanded “benefit of clergy”. Thomas Bently was apparently freed because about 7 months later in October 1629 he was elected to represent Nutmeg Quarter in the House of Burgesses.
The Move to Fox Hill
Elmer Phillips disappears from the court records after 1628; of course, the court records themselves pretty much disappear after 1632. This probably reflects his move away from Jamestown to somewhere within the Corporation of Elizabeth City sometime after the Bently trial in March 1628/29. In June 1633, “Elmer Phillipps of Elizabeth Citty” patented a 100 acre tract near “Foxhill”. Fox Hill was an agricultural and fishing community for much of its history; however, today it is primarily a residential neighborhood within the City of Hampton that lies in the northeast section of the city between the Harris River and the Chesapeake Bay. Elmer used his two eleven year old headrights (himself and Daniel Franck) to claim this property and while not the norm, such elapsed times were far from uncommon given the prevalence of long term leases. This same 100 acre tract was assigned to John Ingrame by an “Ellinor” [Elmer] Phillips and was included in Ingrame’s 24 September 1645 patent for 150 acres.
There is an online data base drawn from Church of England parish records maintained by Ancestry.Com titled: “London, England Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1812” that contain three different references to an Elmer Phillipps. There is an Elmer, son of William Phillipps, who was christened 26 December 1588 in St. Gregory by St. Paul, London. This is likely the same Elmer Phillipps who married Anne Corke on 4 December 1617 at St. Magnus The Martyr, London and had a son, John Phillipps (parents listed as: Elmer Phillipps, Anne Phillipps) who was christened there 30 March 1622/23. A little over two years earlier on 24 February 1620/21 there was a baptism of a Hennre (Henry) Phillipps at St. Martin Ludgate, London whose parents were listed as “Elmor” and Anne Phillips. It is tempting to believe that these Elmers are the same person who arrived in Virginia in the “Southampton” sometime in late 1622 because even with the christening of the son John apparently occurring several months after Elmer had sailed for Virginia, the timelines are still consistent with that scenario and also, then as now, Elmer was not a common name. However, if this is the case, then there is an important question that remains unanswered; namely, what became of Elmer’s wife and children? In his 1633 patent for the land in Fox Hill, Elmer claimed only himself and Daniel Franck as headrights from his initial 1622 voyage with no mention of any subsequent voyages involving an Anne or a John or a Henry Phillipps or himself as would be expected if he had ever returned to England or if they had subsequently joined him in Virginia. This suggests that unless his wife and sons died in England before his was ready to send for them, this was probably a different Elmer Phillipps.
OTHER PHILLIPS IN VIRGINIA BEFORE ABOUT 1640
These are the other Phillips known to have lived in Virginia during this time but for whom there is little additional information. There were almost certainly others who were also there but never appeared in any records at all and thus left absolutely no evidence of ever being in Virginia.
Morgan Phillips was one of the large group of headrights brought to Virginia by Daniel Gookin on the “Flying Hart” on November 21, 1621, and although they had only been in the colony for four months at the time of the Indian attack, they successfully defended their settlement and suffered no casualties. Gookin had received a grant of 2500 acres on the point of land called Newports Newes (now the southwestern corner of land in the City of Newport News) where he intended to import cattle from his estate in Ireland. There is no further record of Morgan Phillips and he is assumed to have died prior the census of 1623/24
William Phillips is mentioned on an 8 July 1648 patent by William Ewen, a merchant, who re-patented a tract of land in James City County that consisted of two tracts he had previously patented in September 1619 and in January 1620/21, respectively. William Phillips was claimed as a headright on one of those earlier patents, but it is not clear which one. In any event, there is no William Phillips appearing on: 1) the list of those killed by the Indian attack of March 1621/22; or 2) the 1623/24 census; or 3) the 1624/25 Muster; or 4) the General Court records of this time which suggests that he may have died soon after his arrival.
Henry Phillips is listed in the February 1623/24 census as living at “Warwick Squeake”, now Isle of Wight County, but he is not listed on the 1624/25 muster list, nor is his death during the previous year recorded.
John Phillip was not a resident of Virginia; rather he was a sailor who was temporarily in port when he was called on to give testimony before the General Court on 30 November 1624 at Jamestown.
Francis Phillips appears twice in the Accomack Court records of 1633 in regards to being summoned to appear at a Quarterly session of the General Court at James City to answer debt charges brought against him in a suit filed by a Zachary Cripps.
James Phillips (age 25) is listed as one of the passengers on the ship “Transport” of London that departed (either London or Gravesend) on 4 July 1635; however, there is no James Phillips listed as a headright in Volume 1 of Nugent (2004).
Robert Phillipps along with a previously mentioned Thomas Phillipps are included among the 12 headrights listed on a patent issued to John Graves on 9 August 1637 for 600 acres in Elizabeth City County. There is another Robert Phillipps who is listed as one of 19 headrights on a July 3, 1640 patent granted to Thomas Harvey for 950 acres in James City Co.
Elizabeth Phillips appears as a headright on 5 patents dated before 1640 not including the 1635 patent to Thomas (4) Phillips previously discussed. However, these 5 patents represent at most only 3 persons named Elizabeth Phillips as two of the 5 represent subsequent re-patents of earlier patents using the original headrights. The first of these 3 is a May 1636 patent by Cheney Boyse for a 1550 acre tract on Merchant’s Hope Creek (now Prince George County). The second is involves William Barker, a “Mariner” (sea captain), along with his associates (several London merchants) who patented a 1250 acre tract also at Merchants Hope near the Cheney Boyse tract in November 1635. The third and final Elizabeth is named as one of 17 headrights in a 24 October 1639 patent for 850 acres granted to Justinian Cooper adjacent to land already in his possession in Isle of Wight County.
Lewis Phillipps appears as a headright on three patents by John Upton between July 1635 and November 1638 in Warrosquyoake Co. One of the three is just a re-patenting of the original, perhaps because of the change in the name of county to Isle of Wight in 1637. The third patent, dated November 10, 1638, for 1500 acres is in the same general area but appears to be for a different (or enlarged) tract of land, for which 8 of the 30 headrights used are the same as those listed in the other two patents. “Lewis Phillipps” is among these 8 duplications, so it appears that it was the same Lewis Phillipps listed on all three patents.
Richard Phillipps appears on two patents, one dated June 22, 1635 to Alexander Stonar for 350 acres in James City Co. and the other dated September 29, 1637 to Thomas Wheeler for 200 acres in Charles City Co. In addition to these two different Richard Phillipps there are also two others who departed the Port of London for Virginia, one the “Speedwell” on 28 May 1635 and the other on the “George” on 21 August 1635, respectively. Both departures are too late to be the Richard Phillipps listed on the 22 June 1635 patent; however either one may (or may not) be the Richard listed on the 29 September 1637 departure. This suggests there may have been a third (and perhaps even a fourth) Richard Phillips in Virginia during this period.
Edward Phillipps was one of three headrights claimed on a July 1638 patent to Nicholas Sabrell for 150 acres in Charles River Co. (which was renamed Yorke Co. in 1642/43). He is likely the same Edward who was also a witness to a land transaction between Wm. Taylor and Wm. Blackley that is part of the December 1640 County Court record.
Georg Phillipps was listed as one of three headrights imported in September 1638 by Alice Edloe, the widow of Mathew Edloe, who used them to add 150 acres to her holdings at Harrow Attocks (Arrohattocks) located on the north side of the James River in Henrico Co. a few miles below the falls.
Lawrence Phillipps was witness to a 1639 land settlement between Michael Wilcox of Upper Norfolk Co. and Georg White. Unlike many eastern Virginia counties, Norfolk Co. Court records of this period are still available and he is probably the Lawrence Phillips who appears in a number of those records over the following decade.
Robert Phillipson was listed as one of 8 headrights used by Robert Holt and Richard Bell along with their own "personal adventures" [passages] to claim 500 acres adjacent to the land of John Felgate on the east side of the Chickahominy River in James City Co. on a March 2, 1638 patent. His name appears again when his patent was renewed in Robert Holt's name on July 23, 1640.
Helpful Online Databases & Other Stuff
by Bob Phillips, U.E., B.A., M.Div., (Phillips Family DNA Group 11)
For those of us who do not have the luxury of living in the vicinity of where our ancestors resided, nor the opportunity to make long trips in search of those roots, in addition to corresponding with our cousins, there are several online resources that can be helpful. These are a few of my favorites.
At this website you can search for books on genealogies and local histories. If a digital copy is available, and if it is out of copyright, you can download a copy of the digital book. These are not primary sources, but as secondary sources can give you clues on where to search for the primary sources regarding your ancestors.
Like Google Books, this site allows you to search for digital copies of local histories and genealogies which can be downloaded to your computer, if the publication is out of copyright. If the publication is still in copyright, this resource can be used as a tool to perhaps help you find materials that you may locate in a local library. Again, these are secondary and not primary sources.
Check with your local and or regional library. They may have an online portal which gives you access via the internet to this resource. You will need a library card and password for access. The material available is limited, and only covers U.S. sources. But, it does provide access to digital images of primary sources. You have to page through and search for the entries but it is indexed.
New York Quaker Records
If any of your ancestors was Quaker, and they may have lived in or passed through New York State, searching this database may give you fresh clues and information regarding your ancestors. In itself it is not a primary resource, but identifies the primary resource underlying the transcriptions.
Providence Rhode Island Records
If you have Rhode Island roots, you will want to bookmark this website. This website provides a portal to several volumes of compiled Providence Rhode Island records. As a transcription, it does not qualify as a primary source, but points you towards where you may be able to find the underlying primary source. Unfortunately, to date, I have not found anything comparable for other areas of Rhode Island such as Kingston.
Some years ago, if you were doing genealogy, you likely came across mention of or perhaps made use of, the International Genealogical Index. At some point you may have found errors in it, or had problems regarding the I.G.I., as it was known. This website has been revised, updated, and expanded. In many cases, you can access a digital copy of the underlying document. That document may be a primary source, or a secondary source, depending on where it was transcribed from. If it is a secondary source, the primary source should be cited. In addition to searching for an ancestor by name, place and date; you can search for untranscribed digital resources which you can browse looking for information, such as probate records. These are located by a search in which you specify nation, state, county. If the digital record is not accessible online, you can request the microfilm and search it at a local Family History Center.