Join the Orchard Surname Y-DNA Project
There are several ways to join a Surname DNA Project:
If you have not been DNA tested yet:
- Ordering a test through the project will automatically make you a member of the project,
and tests at Family Tree DNA cost $50 to $80 less when you order them through a surname project.
Click here to place an order through the project for a DNA test at Family Tree DNA
If you have already been tested at Family Tree DNA:
FTDNA makes it easy for you to join the project (there is no charge to join):
- Go to Family Tree DNA http://www.familytreedna.com/ and sign in using the kit number and password that they gave you.
- In your FTDNA personal page is a blue button labeled "join". Click on that button.
- Select the surname of the project you wish to join.
- Then select a second gray join button which is lower on the page.
- When you have joined the project, the Project Administrator will be notified by FTDNA, and your results will be available for posting on the Project's Results Page.
- Or, you can email FTDNA and ask them to transfer you into the project: http://www.familytreedna.com/contact.html
- FTDNA makes it easy for you to join the project (there is no charge to join):
If you were tested at the National Geographic Genographic Project (NGGP):
- You can transfer yourself, your results and your retained sample to Family Tree DNA.
Go to your National Geographic Genographic Project page.
- Log in using your kit number.
- On the next page, click on "I acknowledge".
- On the next page, scroll all the way down to the bottom. You will see "learn more" in small blue letters near the bottom of the page. Click on it.
- Check "I agree".
- Fill out the FTDNA form "Adding Your Record to FTDNA" and click "Continue"
- You should be able to finish it from there.
Once you have been transferred into FamilyTreeDNA, you will be given access to a "personal page".
- In your FTDNA page is a blue button labeled "join".
- Click on that button, then select the surname, then select a second gray join button which is lower on the page.
- Or, you can call or email FTDNA and ask them to transfer you into the project (713) 868-1438 orhttp://www.familytreedna.com/contact.html
If you were tested at another company:
- It is up to the Project Administrator to decide whether to add your results to the project's Results Page.
- For the project that are administered by World Families, we are happy to post your results on the project's Results Page, if you will place the results in a table which we will provide. We require that you provide your earliest known ancestor.
- Contact the Project Administrator to find out if your results can be included in the project, and to receive a copy of the table.
- We encourage you to post your family pedigree on the project's Pedigree Forum for display on the Patriarchs Page.
In addition, Family Tree DNA now allows those who have previously tested at another company to retest at FTDNA at a reduced price. This offer gives you many benefits:
- Full privileges in your Surname Project
- Only way to be included in FTDNA’s internal database
- Facilitates membership in multiple projects (you have direct comparison in each with no additional testing and at no extra charge.)
- Guaranteed retention of your test sample for 25 years
- Other Important Features--see our full explanation of retesting at FTDNA here.
- FTDNA has put their special order page back up. http://www.familytreedna.com/PDF/PROMO_GAP.pdf
If you want to join a Y-Haplogroup Project:
- In your FTDNA personal page is a blue button labeled "join".
- Click on that button, then scroll down to the Y-Haplogroups listing.
- Then, locate and click on the letter of the alphabet for your Y-Haplogroup.
- Then, select the Y-Haplogroup project which best serves you
- (Note: you cannot join a Y-Haplogroup project if you have not done a yDNA test.)
If you want to join an mtDNA Haplogroup Project:
- In your FTDNA personal page is a blue button labeled "join".
- Click on that button, then scroll down to the mt-Haplogroups listing.
- Then, locate and click on the letter of the alphabet for your mt-Haplogroup.
- Then, select the mt-Haplogroup project which best serves you
- (Note: you cannot join an mt-Haplogroup project if you have not done a mtDNA test.)
If you want to join a Geographic Project:
- In your FTDNA personal page is a blue button labeled "join". Click on that button, then scroll down to the Geographic Project listings. Note - some Geographic projects are for both yDNA and mtDNA, while others are for only yDNA or only for mtDNA. Also - the Ethnic projects are included in the Geographic Projects categories.
- Then, locate and click on the letter of the alphabet for your desired Geographic Project.
- Then, select the project which best serves you.
If you've been tested at FTDNA and want to join the National Geographic Genographic Project:
- Go to your FTDNA Personal page (or go to Family Tree DNA and then enter your kit number and password)
- Open "Genographic Project"
- Click "I agree" and then "Continue"
- Confirm your personal details and submit your request by clicking "continue"
If you want to join more than one project:
FTDNA allows each participant to belong to as many as five projects:
- 2 surname projects
- 1 geographic project
- 1 y-haplogroupi project (if you have been yDNA tested)
- 1 mt-haplogroup (if you have been mtDNA tested)
- FTDNA allows each participant to belong to as many as five projects:
Which Surname (yDNA) Test?
- With FTDNA's current pricing, the 37 marker test for $149 (plus $4-$6 for s/h) is an excellent choice.
- If you are trying to match to a different surname without a paper trail - 37 markers is the minimum. 67 will be helpful in most cases. (you'll save time if you order the 67 markers all at once)
- If you know the surname you should match, you may get by with 25 markers, but many folks will need 37 or even 67 to get clear insight.
- If you are only interested in your "deep ancestry" (haplotype) or in proving that you don't share a common ancestor with a specific family, 12 markers will be adequate. 12 markers are usually sufficient to confirm solid paper trails. (for any other research application - 12 markers is almost never enough)
- If you are serious about your genealogy - you'll probably end up with at least 67 markers.
- If you order the 12 or 25 marker tests, you'll pay less initially, but the cost of the upgrades make the 37 marker test an overall more cost effective choice.
DNA Test Prices at FTDNA (effective 2011):
- 67 marker test $239 Sale till 31 Dec 2011 $199
- 37 marker test $149 Sale till 31 Dec 2011 $119
- Add $4 for US postage or $6 for international postage
- You can go in steps, upgrading a bit at a time - or buy the markers all at once.
- Click here to place an order through the project for a DNA test at Family Tree DNA
- What are the specifics?
The test will be conducted by Family Tree DNA, of Houston TX, the World's leading testing company for Surname DNA Projects. All tests include an estimate of the "Haplogroup" (an indication of deep ancestry).
We personally recommend the largest number of markers that you can afford. We expect that most serious researchers will eventually upgrade to 37 or 67 markers - if they don't start there.
The test is a simple cheek swab. The kit will arrive and leave your house by mail. You simply follow the instructions. (You'll rub the inside of your cheek a number of times with a special scraper, put the kit back into the envelope, sign the release and put the completed sample in the mail. )
- What do I do if I have questions?