Project Home Page
WELCOME TO THE NEWSOM(E) PROJECT
Surnames: Newsom, Newsome, Newsham, Neeson, Nusom, and other similar spellings
DNA testing is giving a new tool for genealogists to use in tracing their family history. By matching yDNA results, participants can verify their paternal line, assuring that they are not “barking up the wrong family tree”. You can prove or disprove a disputed link. You can determine which branch of the family is yours, i.e. the Virginia or New England line; and often extend your knowledge of your pedigree by matching with others who have more information. Only men can be tested for Y DNA markers that follow the surname, but women can also participate in the project by persuading a male relative to donate their DNA for testing. Both men and women can be tested for their maternal line by having a mtDNA test done.
Goals of this Project
- Help researchers from common or related families work together to find their shared heritage.
- Identify how the participant's families are connected, both genetically and through paper trails.
- Identify and confirm genetic Lineages of ancestral families.
- Ultimately catalog pedigrees and genetic connections of all of the known project families.
- To establish an mtDNA database of men and women who have a Newsom(e) female in their mtDNA line.
- To establish a DNA signature for William Newsom I, the 1635 Jamestown immigrant, through the results of tests of project participants who have proven their descent with documentation meeting accepted genealogical standards. To verify (or disprove) the ancestry of William Newsom I through DNA matching to the Newshams of Newsham Hall in Lancashire, England.
To establish the patriarchs of other Newsom and Newsham lines that immigrated to American Continent, or Australia, in the 17th, 18th and 19th century, as well as those who remained in England.
Participating in a Surname DNA Project provides:
- The participant's genetic DNA, which is very close (and sometimes identical) to his earliest known ancestor.
- The participant's "deep" ancestry (Haplogroup), which identifies the paternal ancestor's prehistoric origins.
- A sense of camaraderie, which is particularly strong for those who share a genetic ancestry
- Stimulation to family research and renewed sharing of information
- A chance to compare your genetic ancestry with those of your Surname and the spelling variations
- Your genetic matches who do not share your common surname
- The knowledge to understand our ancestors better - particularly where the records have been lost.
For more details on the Newsom(e) Patriarchs, Test Results, Discussion of the Project, and Newsom(e) mtDNA, click on the Project Menu links at top of this page.
How to join the Newsom(e) Project
Price of the tests if you become a member of the Project
12 markers test $ 99.00
25 markers test $148.00
37 markers test $189.00
mtDNA test $129.00
mtDNA Plus test $189.00
Click here to order a DNA test now!
For basic information, visit World Families Network and check out the "Getting Started" block