Project Home Page
Use the menu bar across the top of the project page to navigate to any page of the project website.
The following Surnames are currently included in the Deatherage project:
Deatherage Surname DNA Project is open to all Deatherage, Detheridge, Deathridge, Detherage, Dethridge, and related spellings and from all locations.
(If your surname is not included please contact the Project Administrator.)
Deatherage Surname DNA Project was started to:
- Determine the relationships of Deatherages around the world.
- Determine the European point of origin of our Deatherage ancestor.
Confirm the paper trail and family history that William Deatherage (first record in 1734 in Spotsylvania County, Virginia) was the progenitor of the Deatherage family in the United States.
- The family history indicates he had five sons (Robert, Philemon, John, Achilles, George) and one daughter (Susan).
- The paper trail has established that Robert, Philemon, John, George were brothers.
- Place Deatherages who have lived or are living in the United States who we have not confirmed as having descended from one of the five sons of William.
- Verify the paper trail and family history of the names of the wives of William and his five sons above through mtDNA.
Participating in a Surname DNA Project provides:
The participant's genetic DNA, which is very close (and sometimes identical) to his earliest known ancestor.
- The participant's "deep" ancestry (Haplogroup), which identifies the paternal ancestor's prehistoric origins.
- A sense of camaraderie, which is particularly strong for those who share a genetic ancestry
- Stimulation to family research and renewed sharing of information
- A wider sense of identity and relationship, as we begin to realize how much we are a World Family.
- A chance to compare your genetic ancestry with those of your Surname and the spelling variations
- Your genetic matches who do not share your common surname
- The knowledge to understand our ancestors better - particularly where the records have been lost
Click here to order a DNA test in the Deatherage Surname DNA Project project.