We are happy to help you to understand how to use DNA in Genealogy.
If you are lost, please take a few minutes and click each of the links in the dark gray menu bar (overall menu) and in the light gray menu bar (which is for this project) and see if you can find a place to begin. Additionally, there is a Navigation box in the upper left corner, which has our information pages.
General: Take a few minutes to skim the Frequently Asked Questions (you can find a link to the FAQ in the navigation bar at the top of each page) and see if they answer some of your questions
Testing Related: If you are confused by all of the choices, click on "About DNA Testing" (you can find a link in the navigation bar at the top of each page, or if you are ready to order a test, click on "Order Test" in the navigation bar at the top of each page.
If you don't know what to do next, click on "DNA Testing the Smart Way" for a step-by-step guide
If you're still confused: Please click here to send us an email. Please explain the help you need.
Links Concerning Y-DNA Testing:
For those with reservations or questions regarding DNA-testing:
- Genealogical DNA Testing Myths - ISOGG (International Society of Genetic Genealogy)
- Testing my DNA?!? Are you nuts?!?! - Addresses some common misconseptions about DNA-testing
- Re: [DNA] Question on Privacy Issues - Thread at RootsWeb's GenealogyDNA list concerning privacy
General Info on DNA-Testing
- FTDNA's tutorials
- Worldfamilies.net's FAQ
- Kerchner's DNA Testing & Genetic Genealogy Info and Resources Page
- EthnoAncestry's link page
- WFN's DNA Reference Info - link collection
- Genetealogy.com - resources concerning genetic genealogy
- Honoring Our Ancestor's Genealogy Library - links to articles concerning genetic genealogy
Testing Company Comparison Charts
- Y-DNA Testing Comparison Chart - price, product and service comparisons
- DNA Company Comparison Chart - lists all available markers
- Another Y-DNA Testing Comparison Chart - shows which markers each test contains
Mailing Lists and Message Boards
- RootsWeb's DNA mailing list - lots of experts here, the archives of this list hold the anwers to most questions.
- FTDNA's forum
- Genealogy.com's DNA Forum
- RootsWeb's Announcements of DNA Projects forum
Y Haplogroup Info
- FTDNA's definition of haplogroups
- Ethnoanestry's information and distribution maps
- Allele Frequency Graphs by Y Haplogroup
- Y-Haplogroup projects
Feel free to discuss this project on the Coursey Family Forum