Project Home Page
- WFN has been providing DNA Information, Websites, and Administration to FTDNA Surname DNA Projects since 2004 (About Us).
FTDNA and WFN have a long-standing relationship (Learn more).
The following surnames are currently included in this project:
Yancey, Yance, Yancie, Yancy, Yanney, Yonce and Nanney
The Yancey-Nanney Surname DNA Project is open to all males bearing these surnames or any variant of them. If your surname is not included, please contact the Project Administrator. Females wishing to participate will need to recruit a father, uncle, brother or a male cousin.
Surname DNA testing is the newest tool available to genealogists!
· Surname tests allow genealogists to verify their father's father's...father's paternal ancestry.
· It provides invaluable data that may not be obtained through traditional paper trails and is a very powerful tool when combined with available paper trails.
· DNA samples are obtained in the privacy of your home, using cheek swabs provided in your DNA Test Kit.
Participating in a Surname DNA Project provides:
· The participant's genetic DNA, which is very close (and sometimes identical) to his earliest known ancestor.
· The participant's "deep" ancestry (Haplogroup), which identifies the paternal ancestor's prehistoric origins.
· A sense of camaraderie, which is particularly strong for those who share a genetic ancestry
· Stimulation to family research and renewed sharing of information
· A wider sense of identity and relationship, as we begin to realize how much we are a World Family.
· A chance to compare your genetic ancestry with those of your Surname and the spelling variations
· Your genetic matches who do not share your common surname
· The knowledge to understand our ancestors better - particularly where the records have been lost
The Yancey-Nanney Surname DNA Project was started to:
1. Help researchers from common or related families work together to find their shared heritage.
2. Identify how the participant's families are connected, both genetically and through paper trails.
3. Identify and confirm genetic lineages of ancestral families.
4. Ultimately catalog pedigrees and genetic connections of all of the known project families
5. Confirm whether or not the Yancey and Nanney families are connected, as family traditions imply;
Click HERE to order a DNA test in the The Yancey/Nanney Surname DNA Project project
The Scholarship Fund is a program administered by Family Tree DNA where individuals may make a contribution to a specified DNA project. This is a great way for indirect Yancey/Nanney descendants to participate in the project or for current participants to help us establish a wider database. Funds can be directed to be used by specified individuals or for those individuals who represent key lineages important to the project. Be sure to indicate which project you want your contributions to go to and add a note regarding the use of the donation.
Click HERE to make a donation.
For basic information, visit World Families Network and check out "DNA the Smart Way".