Project Home Page
For the latest y-Results from FTDNA visit our FTDNA webpage;
For all submitted lineages please see our FTDNA Webpage
yDNA testing is the newest tool available to genealogists!
- yDNA tests allow genealogists to verify their father's father's...father's paternal ancestry.
- yDNA information can be very powerful when combined with traditional paper trails.
The following Surnames are some of the variants of O'Faolain:
O'Faolain, Fallin, Felan, Hyland, O'Phelan, Phalen, Phalon, Phelan, Whalen, Whalin, Whallen, Whalon, Whealan, Whealen, Whealin, Whealing,
Wheallen, Whelehan, Wheelahan, Wheelan, Wheeland, Wheelon, Whelan, Wheland, Whellan
The Whalen-O'Faolain yDNA Project is open to all O'Faolain families, of all spelling variations, and from all locations.
(If your surname is not included please contact the Project Administrator.)
The Whalen-O'Faolain yDNA Project was started to:
- To confirm relationships established through traditional genealogy.
- To locate new related family.
- To learn whether the O’Faoláin Clan share a common ancestor, or whether there are multiple lineages.
- To determine, if possible, where these lines were established.
- To look into the deeper ancestry of our lineages
Participating in the Whalen-O'Faolian yDNA Project also provides:
- The participant's genetic DNA, which is very close (and sometimes identical) to his earliest known ancestor.
- The participant's "deep" ancestry (Haplogroup), which identifies the paternal ancestor's prehistoric origins.
- A sense of camaraderie, which is particularly strong for those who share a genetic ancestry
- Stimulation to family research and renewed sharing of information
- A wider sense of identity and relationship, as we begin to realize how much we are a World Family.
- A chance to compare your genetic ancestry with other O'Faolain.
- Your genetic matches who do not share our surname
- The knowledge to understand our ancestors better - particularly where the records have been lost
Donations for specific research areas If any member wants to encourage people with known roots in their ancestors region to order a kit please make a donation to our General Fund.
Demolishing those Brickwalls All family genealogists will hit the proverbial 'brickwall' sooner or later. Many researchers suspect other lines, with the same or similar surnames, could be connected to their tree. Unfortunately there is often no documentary evidence available to prove it. This project will hopefully provide an opportunity to remove some of these 'brickwalls'.
Joining of existing family trees If you suspect you are related to another family group then why not use Y-DNA testing to prove it. All it takes is 2 tests, one Corrigan male from each line, to find out if you have a Y-DNA match. You may prove connections not only to the obvious groups but to others from around the world.
Spreading the cost If you are concerned about the cost then please consider that you can spread it between your family group. For example, if you have a proven family tree then only one direct descendant male needs to submit a sample. So every member within a group could share the costs. Talk to me nicely and we may make a small donation to your test.
The Ladies Please don't forget how important the ladies are when it comes to organising things. So whilst it's the Corrigan males that supply the Y-DNA it could very well be the ladies that provide the organisational skills necessary to get those men to do the test.
Click here to order a DNA test in the Whalen-O'Faolain project.