Project Home Page
- WFN has been providing DNA Information, Websites, and Administration to FTDNA Surname DNA Projects since 2004 (About Us).
FTDNA and WFN have a long-standing relationship (Learn more).
Surname DNA testing is the newest tool available to genealogists. These tests help genealogists verify their paternal ancestry (father's father) in a quick and easy way. It saves time, prevents mistakes, and provides invaluable data that can be obtained in no other way.
This Family Project is started to:
1. Determine if DNA testing can be used to connect Tobins to the first member of the Irish Tobin family on record a Norman, William de St. Albino, (latinized form of St. Aubyn) who witnessed Geoffrey FitzRobert’s charter c.1204-6 to the priory of Kells in Ossory.
2. Determine the relationship if any among the few Tobin families that immigrated to the American colonies before the Revolutionary War and their relationship to the later and greater number of Tobins who emigrated from Ireland in the 19th century.
3. Determine the relationship of Nathaniel Tobey/Tobin born 1740-50 and died 1831/2 to Isaac Tobey/Tobin born 1750 in Hunterdon Co., New Jersey, and who died in 1836 in Guernsey Co., Ohio.
a. Determine the relationship of this family either to the Tobey, Tobin, or other family
b. Determine the relationship to this family, if any, of Albert Tobin c1816-1864, a confederate soldier who died of disease in a hospital in Warrenton, Virginia, during the Civil War
4. Determine the genetic relationship among the Tobey families and their relationship to Nathaniel and Isaac Tobey/Tobin
Click here to order a DNA test now
For more information on the relationship between DNA testing and traditional genealogy, visit World Families Network.