Project Home Page
Surname DNA testing is the newest tool available to genealogists!
Surname tests allow genealogists to verify their father's father's...father's paternal ancestry. Surname DNA information can be very powerful when combined with traditional paper trails. This project began in 2005 with most of the testing being done by DNA Heritage of Weymouth, England. This company’s 43 marker test was performed on 90 men and the data was combined with results on 9 men tested by other laboratories. In 2011 DNA Heritage ceased operations and the project has been transferred to Family Tree DNA (FTDNA) of Houston Texas, where an existing Rich project had tested 9 men with some overlapping results.
The following Surnames are currently included in this project:
Rich, Riche, Ritch, Reach, Reich, as well as some early predecessors such as Derich and Lerich.
The Rich DNA Project is open to all families with this surname, of all spelling variations, and from all locations. An existing Reich project at FTDNA will be merged with this project as time permits.
(If your related surname is not included please contact the Project Administrator.)
The Rich DNA Project was started to:
- Help researchers from common or related families work together to find their shared heritage.
- Identify how the participant's families are connected, both genetically and through paper trails.
- Identify and confirm genetic Lineages of ancestral families.
- Ultimately catalog pedigrees and genetic connections of all of the known project families.
Participating in a Surname DNA Project provides:
- The participant's genetic DNA, which is very close (and sometimes identical) to his earliest known ancestor.
- The participant's "deep" ancestry (Haplogroup), which identifies the paternal ancestor's prehistoric origins.
- A sense of camaraderie, which is particularly strong for those who share a genetic ancestry
- Stimulation to family research and renewed sharing of information
- A wider sense of identity and relationship, as we begin to realize how much we are a World Family.
- A chance to compare your genetic ancestry with those of your Surname and the spelling variations
- Your genetic matches who do not share your common surname
- The knowledge to understand our ancestors better - particularly where the records have been lost
Click here to order a DNA test now
For basic information, visit World Families Network and check out the "Getting Started" block