Project Home Page
This Hebrides DNA Project was started to:
- Help researchers connect with others whose ancestors originated within the Isles of the Hebrides.
- Determine any common or related DNA to help connect the surnames and/or clans.
- Show our migration routes of the families and clans.
- Join both the DNA and genealogical evidence to help the Isles descendents find a more complete answer to a multitude of questions about their ancestry.
Participating in this DNA Project provides:
- The participant's genetic DNA, which is very close (and sometimes identical) to his earliest known ancestor.
- The participant's "deep" ancestry (Haplogroup), which identifies the paternal ancestor's prehistoric origins.
- A sense of camaraderie, which is particularly strong for those who share a genetic ancestry
- Stimulation to family research and renewed sharing of information
- A wider sense of identity and relationship, as we begin to realize how much we are a World Family.
- A chance to compare your genetic ancestry with others from the Isles of the Hebrides
- Your genetic matches who do not share your common surname
- The knowledge to understand our ancestors better - particularly where the records have been lost
TO ODER A DNA TEST THROUGH THIS ISLES PROJECT AT A DISCOUNTED PRICE -- CLICK HERE.
The Isles of the Hebrides DNA Project was developed to offer Family History researchers another tool to find a wealth of additional information about their Isles Ancestors. This is an opportunity to test your DNA and submit the results to determine any DNA links to the different surnames and Clans who made their homes in the Hebrides; and to help determine their migration patterns throughout the Isles. As you know, sometimes surnames were changed or lost, and this testing will tell you in great detail who you are most closely related to – maybe not who you might have expected. Patronymic naming systems were not always in place, resulting in people with the same surname not even being remotely related through DNA; and people with different surnames having very similar DNA – showing a close relationship. Therefore, this Isles Project may be of great help in furthering your genealogy search and in providing additional clues when your paper trail has come to a halt.
The Isles of the Hebrides DNA Project includes Y-DNA (male) surname study; and a Mitochondrial mt-DNA (maternal) study.
This Project is only open to those people whose ancestors, in either a direct paternal or maternal line resided on one of the Isles of the Hebrides.
DNA results will provide information to take your ancestry back several thousands of years, beyond the Patronymic naming system, to show who they were; their migrations; and often this will lead you to information about their rich cultural heritage. DNA research is becoming very popular, and is leading edge science. I urge you to get involved to take your genealogy research to another level and to discover the history of your ancestors’ journey, which is your heritage.
The purpose of this project is to take the Family History Research of our Isles ancestors to another level. DNA research will help us establish links between our ancestors beyond any available records or archives. This project will determine connections between families where surnames were changed or forgotten, and help determine the migration of our ancestors throughout the Hebrides.
This project is open to men and women who are descended from ancestors who originated on one of the Isles of the Hebrides. Either your direct maternal line (mother's mother's mother's) or direct paternal line (father's father's fathers') originates from within this area. You may order an mt-DNA or Y-DNA test at a discounted rate when ordering through this project.