Project Home Page FTDNA is having a Holiday Sale Through Dec. 31, 2013
DNA testing is the newest tool available to genealogists. These tests can help genealogists verify their paternal ancestry (father's father) and/or their maternal ancestry (mother's mother) in a quick and easy way. It saves time, prevents mistakes, and provides invaluable data that can be obtained in no other way.
Click here to order a DNA test now or click "Join" through your personal FTDNA Page
This Project was started to:
- Help researchers on common or related families of the Ards Peninsula work together to find their common genetic heritage (See the Patriarchs & Matriarchs Pages)
- Identify the DNA of the ancestor families and compile them and their lost branches into distinct genetic lineages through DNA matches
Scope of this project:
- The area included is the Ards Peninsula, located in the eastern portion of County Down, Northern Ireland. The Ards Peninsula is bounded on the north by Belfast Lough, the west by Strangford Lough, and on the east by the Irish Sea.
- Civil Parishes include: Bangor, Newtownards, Donaghadee, Grey Abbey, Ballywalter, Inishargy, Ballyhalbert, Ardkeen, Ardquin, Castleboy, Slanes, Ballytrustan, and Ballyphillip.
- Townlands and Villages include: Ballyhalbert, Donaghadee, Portavogie, Portaferry, Kircubbin, Glastry, Ballywalter, Rubane, Ardkeen, Millisle, Lisnevin, Mount Stewart, Ballywatticock. Carrowdore, and Bangor.
Resources: and related websites
World Families Network Forums
World Families Network General Discussion
Mitochondrial DNA Discussion
Co. Down Ireland Genealogy Research Site
Public Record Office of Northern Ireland
Note: If you have already tested for another project, FTDNA allows you to submit your results to a second project. Here's how:
- Go to your personal page at FTDNA
- Locate the small blue box which says "join"
- Click on the box and follow the directions to join a geographic project
- Key in this project name and then select it
- Then click "join" again (look down the page - this is a different "join" button)
- That should transfer your result into this project
For more information on the relationship between DNA testing and traditional genealogy, visit World Families Network