World Families Forums - Hugh Donnan

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 09:18:10 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Geographic Projects
| | |-+  Ards Peninsula (Moderator: Mary Lee Becker)
| | | |-+  Hugh Donnan
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hugh Donnan  (Read 1130 times)
blueblood

« on: May 26, 2011, 02:16:08 PM »

Would anyone have any information on Hugh Donnan from Portavogie occupation Sailor who married Jane McKeown from Ballyhalbert on the 17th October 1882 Hugh father was Hugh Donnan a Labourer and Janes father was Hugh McKeown also a Labourer . Can anyone also confirm that Hugh's parents were Hugh Donnan and Ellen McNamara ?

Thank You

palmal
Lena McVea
Old Hand

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 02:03:15 PM »

1901 ARDKEEN CENSUS
Robert Donnan  H  Presbyterian R&W 66yrs  J. P.  Farmer Married Born 1835 Down
Margaret Donnan W COI   R&W  61 yrs.  Farmers wife   Born 1840 Down
Jane Donnan Daughter Pres. R&W age 24 yrs Sgl. Farmers daughter born 1877 Down
Ellen Martin Niece Pres. R&W age 34 School Teacher Sgl. born 1867 Down

THIS LOOKS LIKE YOUR FAMILY

1901 ARDKEEN CENSUS
Residents of a house 6 in Ballycranbeg (Ardkeen, Down) 1901

Donnan    Annie    14    Female    Daughter    Presbyterian    Down    House Keeper    Read write    -    Not Married    -
Donnan    Hugh    56    Male    Head of Family    Presbyterian    Down    Farmer    Read write    -    Widower of CATHERINE THOMPSON
Donnan    Andrew    21    Male    Son    Presbyterian    Down    Farm Servant    Read write    -    Not Married    
Donnan    Hugh    17    Male    Son    Presbyterian    Down    Farm Servant    Read write    -    Not Married

SAME FAMILY IN THE 1911 CENSUS ANDREW MUST HAVE MARRIED.

ARDKEEN 1911 CENSUS

Residents of house number 27 in Ballycranbeg (Ardkeen, Down)

Surname    Forename    Age        Relation to head    Religion
Donnan    Hugh    69    Male    Head of Family    Presbyterian    Co Down    Farmer    Read and write    -    Widower    BORN 1842
Donnan    Hugh    27    Male    Son    Presbyterian    Co Down    Farmer's Son    Read and write    -    Single    BORN 1884
Donnan    Annie    25    Female    Daughter    Presbyterian    Co Down    Farmers Daughter    Read and write    -    Single    -    -    -    -
McCarthey    Vincent    7    Male    Visitor    Roman Catholic    Co Down    Scholar    Cannot read or write    -    Single    -

McQUOID
Here lieth the body of James McQuoid who died ye 8th of Nov. 1765 aged 95 yrs. [BORN 1670]
Here lieth the body of Elizabeth KIRKPATRICK wife to James McQuoid who died Decr. ye 10th 1745 aged 45 yrs. B 1700
Also Nancy McQuoid alias COULTER wife to Francis McQuoid late of Ballycranbeg, who died 16th Sept. 1818 aged 42 yrs. [BORN 1776]
Also Adam DONNAN of Ballycranbeg, aged 12 yrs.
Also Ann Donnan alias MARTIN who died Feb. 28th 1879 aged. 77 yrs.
Also John Donnan who died 14th March 1884 aged 83 yrs.
Also the children of Hugh Donnan Ellen and Ann who died young.

YOUR FAMILY
Residents of a house 34 in Quinton Street (Pottinger, Down) 1901

Donnan Margret 8 Female Daughter Church of I Co Down Sholar Cannot read English Not Married -
Donnan Mary 10 Female Daughter Church of I Co Down Sholar Read and write English Not Married -
Donnan Hugh 44 Male Head of Family Church of I Co Down Genarel Labourer Cannot read English Married - BORN 1857
Donnan William 17 Male Son Church of I Co Down Genarel Labourer Read and write English Not Married -
Donnan James 1 Male Son Church of I Co Down - Cannot read - Not Married -
Donnan John 12 Male Son Church of I Down Sholars Read and write English Not Married -
Donnan Hugh Samuel 14 Male Son Church of I Co Down General Labourer Read and write English Not Married -
Donnan Jane 37 Female Wife Church of I Co Down Seanster Read and write English Married

1911 CENSUS BELFAST

Residents of a house 23 in Baywood Street (Pottinger (part of), Down)

Donnan   Hugh   54   Male   Husband   Church Ireland   Belfast City   Labourer in Stone yard   Read write   English   Married   -   28   6   -
Donnan   Jane   48   Female   Wife   Church Ireland   Belfast City   Embroider   Read write   English   Married   -   28   6   6
Donnan   William   26   Male   Son   Church Ireland   Belfast City   Labourer (General)   Read write   English   Single   -   -   -   -
Donnan   Hugh Samuel   24   Male   Son   Church Ireland   Belfast   Labourer (General)   Read write   English   Single   -   -   -   -
Donnan   Johnny   22   Male   Son   Church Ireland   Belfast   Labourer (General)   Read write   English   Single   -   -   -   -
Donnan   Minnie   20   Female   Daughter   Church Ireland   Belfast   -   Read write   English   Single   Eplstic   -   -   -
Donnan   Marget   18   Female   Daughter   Church Ireland   Belfast   Laundress   Read write   English   Single   -   -   -   -
Donnan   James   11   Male   Son   Church Ireland   Belfast   Scholar   Read write   English   Single
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 12:03:34 PM by Lena McVea » Logged
blueblood

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 05:29:48 PM »

Lena,
Thank you for your reply.
I think you are wrong with the info.
If you check the 1901 census Hugh has a son Andrew aged  21 years .Andrew was born on the 22nd April 1880 to CATHERINE THOMPSON  and Hugh Donnan March Qtr Vol 1 Page 561. I believe my Donnans were living in Quinton Street 1901 and Baywood Street 1911 Belfast although they give their Birthplace as Co Down on the 1901 census they state Belfast on the 1911 so it only adds to the confusion .The living Donnans swear they originate from Portavogie although they have been in Belfast for over a hundred years.I am pleased you replied to my post because reading through the Forum you seem quite an expert on the Ards Peninsula.

Regards

Blueblood
Lena McVea
Old Hand

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 12:10:23 PM »

Hi again.
I have added your family above. Do you have any connections to a Mackie family?

Lena
blueblood

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 05:18:05 PM »

Lena,
      Thank you for the reply and sorry to get you confused.I will start again .
I have all the recent information James McKeown Donnan born 31.10.1899 married Jane Vincent and had 12 children in Belfast
James parents are Hugh Donnan and Jane McKeown in 1901 living  in Quinton Street Belfast and 1911 in Baywood Street Belfast.Hugh Donnan married Jane McKeown on the 17th Oct 1882 in Newtownards Registrar's Office stating he was from Portavogie and she was from Ballyhalbert.I am trying to get back further maybe confirming Hugh's father was Hugh Donnan and his mother Ellen McNamara.I was hoping maybe someone would have the Church Baptism's /Marriages which would  confirm this.I was also hoping that someone may have already covered this family line .? I am not a Donnan myself, my youngest son is engaged to  the Donnan line .I have been fascinated with family histories for nearly 20 years now. Sorry I do not know of the Mackie family ,have you anything else I may try.Or have I made a mistake somewhere ?
My main families I am researching are KEYS,SIMPSON[Creevytenant],DAWSON,BRADSHAW,BOYCE McMAHON[Rathfriland]POOLER,Co Armagh]TURKINGTON.[Co Armagh]Thank you once again for your views

Blueblood.
Mary Lee Becker
Project Coordinator
Old Hand

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 11:43:42 PM »

Did you obtain a copy of that marriage record? It should also list the name of Hugh's father and where he resided.

You might try a search on Emerald Ancestors if you do not have a copy of the marriage record:
http://www.emeraldancestors.com/

Mary
Lena McVea
Old Hand

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 01:01:08 PM »

Hi Blueblood,

can you shed any light on this Jane nee Coffey Donnan for me please? which Donnan did she marry?

William
   COFFEY    .    Ballyhalbert    of Ballyesborough; died 8 Jun 1909 aged 70; husband of Eliza who d. 5 Jan 1922 aged 84; father of Mary Anne (d. 1888 aged 19) & Essie (d. 1890 aged 19) & Maggie (d. 1890 aged 11) & Jane Donnan (d. 1932 aged 65) & William (d. 1954 aged 80) & Adam (d. 1960 aged 78); buried Glastry Presbyterian graveyard    MIs

Regards Lena
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 19 queries.