World Families Forums - CAPT. JOHN CLINT OF CLINT & CO LIVERPOOL. SHIPOWNERS & THEIR SHIPS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2014, 04:54:33 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Geographic Projects
| | |-+  Ards Peninsula (Moderator: Mary Lee Becker)
| | | |-+  CAPT. JOHN CLINT OF CLINT & CO LIVERPOOL. SHIPOWNERS & THEIR SHIPS
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: CAPT. JOHN CLINT OF CLINT & CO LIVERPOOL. SHIPOWNERS & THEIR SHIPS  (Read 1385 times)
Lena McVea
Old Hand
****
Online Online

Posts: 336


« on: June 23, 2012, 07:00:13 AM »

1861 CENSUS

District 12, Higher Bebington, Cheshire

John Clint, Head, Married, 75, Retired Ship Owner, b. Durham South Shields

Mary Clint, Wife, Married, 68, b. Cumberland Maryport

Fanny Clint, Daughter, Unmarried, 26, b. Lancashire Liverpool

Sarah T. Clint, Daughter, Unmarried, 23, b. Lancashire Liverpool

Captain John Clint was born in South Shields in 1786, and spent many years in the merchant service before becoming a shipowner. His wife Mary nee TOLSON was born in the fishing port of MARYPORT, CUMBRIA. Maryport has strong ties with the Ards especially Portavogie.

John settled in Liverpool in 1822 but he retired to Higher Bebington, Cheshire and is showing in the 1861 census. He died 26 February 1868 at the home of his son Thomas T Clint of Ashfield Park Rock Ferry in the County of Chester.  

He was an experienced seaman who had worked his way up from a poor background to become a shipowner. Clint supported a number of Liverpool charities.

In 1860 he was one of the principal mourners at the funeral of Captain William Harrison Chief Commander of The Great Eastern.
Capt John Clint chairman & secretary Mr W B Thompson of the Mercantile Marine Association & with 60 others of the same followed the prosession to St. Jame's Cementry, Liverpool.

In 1863 Captain John Clint, a Liverpool shipowner, proposed the idea that a sea training school should be established for the orphans and sons of Liverpool seamen. Clint had helped found the Liverpool Shipowners' Association in 1839, the Pilots' Commission, the Dock and Harbour Company, the Liverpool Sailors' Home, the Northern Hospital, but most importantly Clint had been the prime mover in establishing HMS Conway and the Akbar, a reformatory school for boys

The origins of the Akbar
The first training ship Akbar was bought in 1855 by a new organisation called the Liverpool Juvenile Reformatory Association. The ship was in a very poor condition so it cost £2000 (worth around £95,000 in 2001), double the original estimated cost, to make essential repairs and alterations.

The Akbar's founders
Captain John Clint and John Cropper were leading members of the Association which turned the Akbar into a reformatory ship for boys who had committed crimes.
John Clint supported a number of Liverpool charities.
Cropper was another man who was well known for his charitable work in Liverpool. He was also an active opponent of the slave trade.

http://www.anglesey.info/TS%20Indefatigable.htm

The TS Indefatigable was founded in 1864 by one John Clint, who set up a committee to raise funds to offer naval training to poor and destitute boys, and the sons and orphans of sailors. Financial assistance was rendered by James Bibby, of Bibby Line Shipping, whose family helped support the `Inde` for many years to follow. At that time the trainees actually lived on the ship, which was moored off Rock Ferry, on the Birkenhead side of the Mersey. The ship was an ex Royal Navy wooden frigate, and the gun deck was converted to accommodate 200 boys in hammocks.

The original ship lasted through to 1914, when it was scrapped and replaced by a masted cruiser named H.M.S Phaeton, subsequently renamed Indefatigable.


1868

Clint, John, Effects Under 18,000 [pounds], April 1

The Will of John Clint late of Ashfield park Rock Ferry in the County of Chester Gentleman deceased who died 26 February 1868 at Ashfield Rock Park aforesaid was proved at Chester by the oaths of Francis Anderson Clint of Durham House 55 Edge-lane Liverpool in the County of Lancaster Ship Owner and Thomas Tolson Clint of 38 Devonshire-road Claughton Birkenhead in the County of Chester aforesaid Ship Owner the Sons and John MacMurdo Cannon of Queen’s-road Southport in the County of Lancaster aforesaid Merchant the Executors.

[Note: Born 1787 South Shields, Durham, England]

1861 CENSUS

District 24q, West derby, Lancashire

Francis Anderson Clint, Head, married, 46, Merchant Shipowner, b. Durham South Shields

Elizabeth Clint, Wife, Married, 38, b. Scotland Lanarkshire Glasgow

John Clint, Son, 13, Scholar, b. Lancashire Liverpool

James Graham Clint, Son, 12, Scholar, b. Lancashire Liverpool

Elizabeth Anderson Clint, Daughter, 10, Scholar, b. Lancashire Liverpool

Alice Clint, Daughter, 7, Scholar, b. Lancashire Liverpool

Francis Clint, Son, 5, Scholar, b. Lancashire Liverpool

Alfred Ewart Clint, Son, 3, b. Lancashire Liverpool

[Note: Son of the above John Clint, retired shipowner]


District 11, Bidston and Claughton, Cheshire

Thomas Tolson Clint, Head, Married 36, Shipbroker, b. Lancaster[?] Liverpool

Mary Ann Clint, Wife, Married, 31, b. Cheshire Runcorns

Catherine M. Clint, Daughter, Unmarried, 9, Scholar, b. Chester[Cheshire?] Rockferry

Charles A. Clint, Son, 5, b. Chester[?] Claughton

Marion E. Clint, Daughter, 3, b. Chester[?]

Notice is hereby given, that the Partnership subsisting between the undersigned: Francis Anderson Clint and Thomas Tolson Clint, Merchants and Commission Agents at Liverpool, under the firm of Clint and Co., is this day dissolved by mutual consent ; the said Thomas Tolson Clint retiring from the said firm, the business of which will hereafter be carried on by the said Francis Anderson Clint, under the same firm.—Dated this 31st day of December,1858. Francis Anderson Clint.
Thomas Tolson. Clint

1891 census

Civil Parish: West Derby Municipal Borough:

Address: 17, Rufford Road, West Derby County: Lancashire

CLINT, Thomas T Head Married M 60 1831 Ship Broker Liverpool, Lancashire

CLINT, Mary A Wife Married F 61 1830  Runcorn, Cheshire
 
CLINT, John F C Son Single M 27 1864 Clerk & Traveller Oxton, Cheshire
 
CLINT, Charles A Son Single M 38 1853 Upholsterer Claughton, Cheshire

CLINT, Marian E Daughter Single F 33 1858  Claughton, Cheshire

CLINT, Edith E Daughter Single F 28 1863 Embroideress Claughton, Cheshire

WILLIAMS, Mary J Servant Single F 24 1867 G Servant Domestic Montgomery

http://www.toxtethparkcemeteryinscriptions.co.uk

K 33 CLINT. (C.I.723)
Large upright square sand-stone oberlisk on a tiered base. In loving memory / of / Francis Anderson CLINT, / who died 28. Sept 1875, / aged 60 years. / *Even so Father: for so it seemed / good in Thy sight.* / Luke. 10. 21. / Also of Elizabeth, / beloved wife of above, / who entered into rest 19th October 1888, / aged 65 years. / *When the day of toil is done, / when the race of life is run, / Father grant thy wearied ones, / rest for evermore.* // Also of / Alfred Ernest, / their fourth son, died 28. April 1907, / aged 49 years. / And George Frederic, / their youngest son , / born 3rd September 1861, / died at Bournemouth 2nd April 1920.

H 37 CLINT. (C.I.607)
Small upright sand-stone, straight top, square shoulders, angled face and inscribed grave surround. In loving memory / Alice, / second daughter of / Francis Anderson CLINT, / died 4th Dec. 1934, in her 81st year.
Surround: Also Fanny Constance Anderson, / sister of the above, last surviving daughter of the late / Francis Anderson CLINT, J.P. of Liverpool, 6th June 1948.

H 6 CLINT. (C.C.Lt.292)
Large grey marble, round top, lying flat on its back. Sacred to the memory / of / William CLINT, / who fell asleep 20th September 1909, / aged 81 years. / Also Sarah, his wife, / who died 14th May 1892, / aged 52 years. / Also Edward Ernest (Ted) / second son of the above, / who died 18th May 1899, / aged 36 years. / *At rest.*

F 1 CLINT. (G.1.291)
Large upright sand-stone, small round top, lowered curved shoulders. In loving memory / of / Elizabeth, / the beloved daughter of / William and Agnes CLINT, / who departed this life 29th Sept 1885, / aged 2 years. / Also the above William CLINT, / died 27th January 1890, / aged 40 years. / Also of William, / son of the above, / who died 14th May 1903, aged 23 years. / Also of James Bryden, / son of the above, / who died 13th Octr 1907, aged 21 years. / Also Walter Thomas, / son of the above, / who died 7th March 1912, aged 24 years.

CLINT & CO SHIPS

WRECK OF THE CALCUTTA in 1874

The iron ship, Calcutta, struck the rocks off Kilmore in Ballyteigue Bay during for on 17/1/1874. She was owned by F A Clint & Co of Liverpool. The ship was bound for Liverpool from SURINAM. Captain Hamilton and his crew were lost.  
The Irish Times of 16 Feb 1874 reported on the Board of Trade inquiry into the wreck of the Calcutta. It says it was lost, at Forlorn Rock, January last. Captain Hamilton was found negligent and his certificate was suspended for six months (this indicates that he was not lost, as stated above).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suriname

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilmore_Quay

The PARAGON

Lancaster Gazzette, 10/7/1813
The Paragon, Clint, & the William, Gill from Liverpool for Buenos Ayres were taken 3rd April. Lat 27 south Long 40; by the "Grand Turk" American privateer of 16 guns & 180 men. Lloyds 7th July 1813

This must be the 2nd Paragon

A British ship built in 1837 in Liverpool, owners were Clint & Co of that city. The PARAGON was mentioned in the San Francisco Daily Herald on December 30, 1854. The last reference to the PARAGON in Lloyds register was in 1879. The collection contains a receipt issued on July 12, 1851 by the US Consul in the Phillippines to the master John Payne, of the PARAGON, confirming payment for ship stores.

THE MADRAS

A fine iron ship owned by Clint of Liverpool disappeared 7th Sept.1871 en rout from Calcutta to Liverpool under one of the best masters Capt. Fairlem.

THE CANNATA

Lloyd's Register of Shipping 1857-8: ship, registered at Liverpool, owned Clint & Co., master Tiddy, voyage Liverpool for Calcutta.
Lloyd's Register of Shipping 1860-1: ship, registered at Liverpool, owned Clint & Co., master F.B.Hire, voyage Liverpool for India.

The Cannata was a ship built at Maryport by K.Wood & Son, and launched on the 23rd April 1845. She was built for Kenneth, Dowie & Co. of Liverpool, was registered at Liverpool, and was intended for the Montreal trade, according to the newspaper report of her launch. She was first commanded by Capt.Digby Berkeley Morton, but he seems to have only stayed with her for her first voyage. In October 1846 the Cannata, Captain Tillson, was bound from Manilla to London when she picked up the survivors from the Elizabeth Walker, of Glasgow, that had been abandoned on fire. The boats were towed into Singapore. The Cannata seems to have spent the rest of her career in the trade to the Far East.

In October 1861 the Cannata was re-surveyed at Liverpool, and it appears that she was re-rigged as a barque at this time, and sold to John Hodgeton, her future commander. He continued in the China trade, taking her to Singapore in 1862 and to Hong Kong in 1864. On the 18th March 1865 the Cannata was abandoned at sea off Rangoon. It seems she was subsequently recovered and repaired, and in 1867 she was owned in Rangoon by James Cotton.

 http://www.mightyseas.co.uk/marhist/maryport/cannata.html

Huddersfield Chronicle 26/3/1873
BANKRUPTCY
HENRY CLINT MARINE TERRACE, MAGAZINES, WALLASEY; CHESHIRE, RECENTLY CARRYING ON BUSINESS IN PARTNERSHIP WITH W.B. MORTON AS:
MORTON & CLINT SHIP CHANDLERS & SAIL MAKERS LIVERPOOL.


A RANDOM CLINT IN YORKSHIRE

West Yorkshire Nonconformist Record

Baptism, James Samuel Clint, Birth: Feby  21, 1873, Baptism: Aug 17, 1873, Parish: Millbridge, Parents: William Clint, Alice Clint, Gas Maker, Performed G. H. Beeley




« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 09:35:40 AM by Lena McVea » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  


SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 19 queries.