World Families Forums - Introduction and Press family

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 12:10:25 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Geographic Projects
| | |-+  Ards Peninsula (Moderator: Mary Lee Becker)
| | | |-+  Introduction and Press family
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Introduction and Press family  (Read 424 times)
kipress

« on: November 28, 2010, 10:25:34 AM »

Hello there,
I recently joined the Ards project. My FTDNA testing has not yet been done, but will soon. I've sent Mary my maternal pedigree.

However, it is actually my dad's family that I believe to be connected to the Ards.

Here are the basics.

?1. William Press m(?) Emily Ward, c1826
2. William Press b. circa Feb. 1826, Castleward, (baptized Ballyculter Parish), d. July 15, 1892 m. Adelaide Braithewaite
3. Henry John Press, b. 1868, England, d. Sept. 11, 1917 m. Annie Barbara Clegg Robson
4. Herbert Robson Press, b. 18 Sept., 1906, Belfast, d. 8 Oct. 1968 m. Madeleine Ryan

H.R. Press is my grandfather.

I have correspondence between my grandfather and his brother, Francis Vere Press, from the 1950s. Vere lived in Donaghadee at the time.

For some time, the family was based in Moville/Greencastle, Donegal, where Henry John Press was a bank manager.

William Press b. 1826 was in the military and served in Quebec, Canada in the 1860s, as well as (anecdotally only) in India. His elder son William Braithewaite Press (Henry John's brother) at some point lived in South Africa (his son was born there) and later immigrated to Winnipeg, Canada. If I am ever to find a direct male line descendant (I have no others living), it will be from this line.

My grandfather, H.R. Press, immigrated to Canada in 1923.

I have William Press's birth year as 1825 or 1826 based on his death records. Family hearsay was that he was "from around Downpatrick." The only likely birth record I have been able to find is for a baby William born in Feb. 1826 with the residence given as Castleward (I know, not quite on the peninsula!), baptized in Ballyculter parish, and noted as "illegitimate" to parents William Press and Emily Ward.

I'd be happy to provide further information about the family for anyone interested.

Karen Press

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 18 queries.