World Families Forums - L-21 NW England/NE Ireland

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 09:27:38 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  R1b General (Moderator: rms2)
| | |-+  L-21 NW England/NE Ireland
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: L-21 NW England/NE Ireland  (Read 627 times)
A.D.
Old Hand

« on: November 04, 2010, 08:12:51 AM »

L've noticed a thining of L-21 around the S Down (Ireland) and more so around Lancaster (England). Do any other types stand out in this area. There is a mythical, Historic and geogaphical link. This part of England was inhabited by the Setanti (Check JeanM's stuff. on link fromm theLebar Gabala Erenn thread) Across the water is Co Down, The Isle of Man is in the middle. Just a short ways south (across the `border') through a Gap in the Coolley Mtns is Dundalk (Dun Delgan). Dun Delgan was the birth place and family home of CuCullian, He was surposed to be `of differant  (older)race than the Men of Ulster (Uliadh) His `real' name is Setanta McSailtrim and was `schooled'  in Alba (This is normally used for Scotland but I think this is not as serict a term as in pre-Roman times territories were shifting a lot .  The tale of CuCulian is set in the Iron Age but it is now thought to be a retelling of aBronze Age story/event (this is now stated in the Navan Fort Centre beside Emhain Macha)   It would be great if there a dna connection.
alan trowel hands.
Guru

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 07:30:48 PM »

I was told by a major academic Celtic expert (linguist) about 20 years ago that the Setanti-Setanta idea is nonsense and an old discredited idea.  I think the problem is that Setanti of 1st century AD Celtic would not give morph into anything like Setanta in early Medieval Irish of 500+ years later.  That period saw a really major restructuring of the Celtic languages.  Cu Chullain was almost certainly a god in my opinion so there is no point looking for his roots anywhere.  He is described as the son of the god Lugh which probably effectively means he is Lugh.   
A.D.
Old Hand

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 11:00:37 AM »

CuCullan had 3 fathers 1 Saultrim biological 2 Conuabhar foster 3 Lugh spiritual. the Pre-Roman trilogy, a major them in `celtic culture' though it appears in various form long before the Hallstat culture    I wasn't looking for CuCullans roots or decendants.I simple noticed a patch on the map and wodered if there may have been a strong pre roman trade connection or may be the  some Setanti crossed the Irish sea rather than be absorbed into the Brigantes. Maybe a pocket of people from cultrue that differed from its neighbours. Or even just a common name from an area either side of the Irish Sea. 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 17 queries.