World Families Forums - "James Andrew McClure"

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 03:09:03 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'M'
| | |-+  McClure (Moderator: Dennis McClure)
| | | |-+  "James Andrew McClure"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "James Andrew McClure"  (Read 929 times)
GaryEYoung

« on: September 07, 2010, 10:57:52 AM »

In recent years the name "James Andrew McClure" has been used as the name of the father of Halbert McClure,  early settler of old Augusta Co Va.   Unless someone can produce evidence that there was such a person,  it seems time we should abandon use of the name.   In 1914 The Rev. James Alexander McClure suggested a possibility that Halbert's father was named Arthur McClure.  In 1983 THE MCCLURE STORY,  by Jerry Duane Duncan,  continued the use of the name Arthur as the father of Halbert,  but noted that the name was pure speculation.    DONEGAL TO BOTETOURT,  published about 1997,  seems to have used the name "James Andrew McClure" as Halbert's father's name,  but without any evidence that I can see.  Others have called Halbert's father,  "James Arthur McClure".   Since middle names were not in use at that period,  the triple names cannot be correct.  Also,  since Halbert did not use the names James or Andrew among his multiple sons,  I cannot see any evidence for continuing the use of this name.   DNA is meant to be on the cutting edge of scientific genealogy so to perpetuate mythical figures like "James Andrew McClure" seems to me to be a mistake.   However,  if I have missed something among the evidence,  please correct me or feel free to post other reasons for the name that I may have missed.  I am merely expressing a personal opinion. 
Gary E Young
ygeyoung@aol.com

Gary

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 18 queries.