World Families Forums - Can someone explain what haplogroups are?

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 05:31:29 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Can someone explain what haplogroups are?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can someone explain what haplogroups are?  (Read 1207 times)
LetoAtreides82

« on: August 01, 2010, 06:07:27 PM »

Brief intro: I've become very interested in genetics recently and I had my dna tested by DNA Tribes and about a month later I got the shocking news that I'm mostly related to the Berber people, more specifically those who live in Asni, Morocco.  According to the results, my DNA is 440,497 times as common in Asni, Morocco as in the rest of the world.  If you're interested I posted my full results at http://www.kerchner.com/cgi-bin/dnatribes.cgi under my name Alex Alban.

My question:  I'm now interested in doing a paternal and maternal lineage DNA test at Ancestry By DNA, but before I place my order I'm wondering how are haplogroups determined.  

For example let's say (I have no idea what they really were) my father's father is Arabic, and my father's paternal grandfather is european caucasian, and my father's paternal great-grandfather was chinese, what would my paternal haplogroup be?  Would I have multiple paternal haplogroups considering the fact that each of my recent paternal ancestors were from completely different ethnicities?  
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 06:12:02 PM by LetoAtreides82 » Logged
Marilyn Teaff Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 03:24:16 PM »

You can find information about Haplogroups on this page:  http://www.worldfamilies.net/haplogroups

Your yDNA haplogroup comes down to you from your father's father's father's line...all the way back, so the haplogroup you have would reflect the genetic ancestry of your paternal line. 
Edricpeter

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 07:55:23 AM »

Haplogroups represent the branches of the tree for Homo Sapiens. All humans belong to a Haplogroup, an ancestral clan whose markers permit geneticists to study how modern humans came to inhabit the world.

Terry Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 04:11:02 PM »

Hi Leto.   You will only have one y-Haplogroup - which you inherited from your father - who inherited from his father , ...

I don't see how your paternal line could have grandfather as Arabic, great-grandfather as European Caucasian, gg-grandfather as Chinese.  It's simply not possible for "ethnicity" to change every generation.   I suppose a different country could be issuing a passport every generation - but that wouldn't justify the origins you list and would have no effect on the y-haplogroup which is passed from father to son.

Haplogroups are the ancient branches of the family of man.  Each branch is quite old - I think they are all in the 10s of thousands of years ago class - but haven't seriously looked to make sure that a few aren't a little more recent.

I don't know folks who would give you a solid recommendation for either of the two tests you mention and haven't even thought about them for years.  The last time I read discussions about them - most of it wasn't positive.   I have not done either test. 

If you want to know your haplogroup - and nothing else there are "$99" tests that will give you that info as a byproduct - one for yDNA (paternal) and one for mtDNA (maternal)  FTDNA And National Genographic project are excellent places to do this test.  I would also trust a test done by Sorenson Labs. 

Personally, I am interested in genealogy, so I go for a yDNA test with enough markers to be useful for genealogy - either 37 or 67 yDNA.   I'd also test through a project that includes my surname - which usually means testing at FTDNA - as that is where most surname projects operate.

Terry
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 17 queries.