World Families Forums - In Vino Veritas

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 06:28:42 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  R1b General (Moderator: rms2)
| | |-+  In Vino Veritas
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: In Vino Veritas  (Read 1218 times)
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« on: July 03, 2010, 09:35:08 PM »

Something just occurred to me. L21 must have originated someplace that had no wine. Otherwise, why would anyone have left that place for a cold, damp region like the British Isles?

I guess I'm bored. There were no L21 results on Friday, and now there is a long holiday weekend here. FTDNA probably won't get around to producing any results until Tuesday, July 6th, at the earliest.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 09:35:53 PM by rms2 » Logged

Jean M
Guru

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 03:13:47 PM »

You won't believe this, but the sky is currently blue over Bristol. The weather forecast for tomorrow (I kid you not) is "partly sunny and delightful".
Jdean
Old Hand

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 04:09:36 PM »

As in on the river Avon ?

I could have waved at you a few hours ago, from across the estuary mind, there's a hill in the way now.

Y-DNA R-DF49*
MtDNA J1c2e
Kit No. 117897
Ysearch 3BMC9

Jean M
Guru

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 04:12:49 PM »

Yes indeed - that Bristol.
Jdean
Old Hand

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 04:21:30 PM »

My family stopped of there when they moved from Radnorshire, but my G grandfather got posted to S. Wales on the death of my GG grandmother.

It's a bit cooler here today, but I got an email from the Cambridge saying it's 'roasting', it's about time we had a tidy summer.

Y-DNA R-DF49*
MtDNA J1c2e
Kit No. 117897
Ysearch 3BMC9

alan trowel hands.
Guru

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 07:09:13 PM »

In Ireland there has been about 5 or 6 weeks with hot (anything above 20 degrees centigrade counts as hot here) sunny weather prominent.  That is so rare its almost unheard of.  The only similar one I can recall was about 15 years back.  Its quite normal to only get one or two good weeks of solid proper warm sunny weather all year in Ireland so the recent weather has been incredible.  It was also one of coldest winters on record this year/late last year.  So the weather has been following central European rather than Atlantic patterns this year.  I would be happy if that is the way the climate change is heading because nice crisp snowy winters and warm sunny summers beats all year round cloud and rain.  
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 07:10:47 PM by alan trowel hands. » Logged
Maliclavelli
Guru

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 04:23:06 AM »

Here 40° C, 90% humidity. A few days ago I lost my little "Gattino bianco" (1 years old) by FeLV. I am desperate.

Maliclavelli

YDNA: R-S12460

MtDNA: K1a1b1e

Jean M
Guru

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 09:12:35 AM »

@ Alan You can't have everything. It's all that rain that keeps the Isle so Emerald. They say the humidity preserves the complexions of the colleens as well. Before the advent of the vast array of skin lotions on offer to women today, Europeans who migrated to Australia got their skins shrivelled before their time.   
Jean M
Guru

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 09:18:54 AM »

@ Jdean My younger son has settled in S Wales. He complains that it rains just about every day, but the scenery is splendid and so are the people.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 09:19:40 AM by Jean M » Logged
Jdean
Old Hand

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2010, 01:30:41 PM »

Yes we're not bad really, and it does rain here quite a lot or so people who move here tell me, I suppose it's like water off a duck's back for us;)

Saying that I've always been rather fond of Bristol and used to go there relatively often in my teens, as it happens I was at the RO not that long ago, very accommodating I didn't even have to pay for parking :)

Y-DNA R-DF49*
MtDNA J1c2e
Kit No. 117897
Ysearch 3BMC9

GoldenHind
Old Hand

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2010, 04:27:21 PM »

I just returned from 3 weeks in Herefordshire and enjoyed the best spell of weather I have encountered there in the last 18 years.
I waived in the general direction of jdean and jean m when passing through Newport and Bristol on the train, but I suspect they took no notice.
Jdean
Old Hand

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010, 06:23:19 PM »

I just returned from 3 weeks in Herefordshire and enjoyed the best spell of weather I have encountered there in the last 18 years.
I waived in the general direction of jdean and jean m when passing through Newport and Bristol on the train, but I suspect they took no notice.

And right past my house, it backs onto that line.

I wondered why you had been keeping your head down, glad you finally managed to witness a decent British summer. I'm scratching my head trying to remember the last one.

Y-DNA R-DF49*
MtDNA J1c2e
Kit No. 117897
Ysearch 3BMC9

GoldenHind
Old Hand

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2010, 06:41:50 PM »

And right past my house, it backs onto that line.

I wondered why you had been keeping your head down, glad you finally managed to witness a decent British summer. I'm scratching my head trying to remember the last one.

I always wanted to spend a summer in England, but I could never work out just what day it falls on.
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2010, 07:49:37 PM »

Well, here in Merry Ol' Virginia, it's hot and sunny. My daughter had her first swimming lesson today, taught by a young man named Cameron with bright red hair. Then this afternoon she had her first horseback riding lesson.

It was a glorious day, really hot, but we have lots of big trees and plenty of shade.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 19 queries.