World Families Forums - Pratt = Pruitt?

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 10:40:26 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'P'
| | |-+  Pratt (Moderator: PrattAdmin)
| | | |-+  Pratt = Pruitt?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pratt = Pruitt?  (Read 1244 times)
RPruitt

« on: June 18, 2010, 11:56:23 AM »

Why does the Pratt DNA project claim the Pruitt (Prewitt, Pruett) family as part of the Pratt clan? There is not any evidence to show there is a connection between the except a Pr----tt. They have two separate origins, two separate etymologies, two separate phonetics, two separate genealogical trees.

Thanks for your time,
Ritch Pruitt

PrattAdmin

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 08:53:33 PM »

Ritch,

I would agree with you. The DNA does not support a connection between the two surnames except 'possibly' in one instance. With the Pratt participant in that group having only tested 12 markers, it's a tentative connection.

The Pruitt/Prewitt/Pruett participants, and the inclusion of the name in the scope of the project, was in place when I took over as administrator. Someone, at some time, thought it was appropriate to include them and I have not felt the need to upset the apple cart. It does no harm to the project and having the results shown on the same page may clear up the apparent misconception that there is a connection.

David McMillan
Administrator
Pratt DNA Study
Homer Garrison

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 12:32:11 AM »

David, someone making a mistake early in the DNA project explains somewhat why the Pruitts. Pruetts and Prewitts are included in the group, but DNA-wise the Pratt and Pruitts are 45-50 or more MRCA which is about 1250 years for a common ancestor.  When I researched the Pruitts I only found one handwritten entry in the 1810 Census where I found the spelling pf Pratt and Pruitt to look similar.  I am related to one of the several lines of Pruitts and have looked closely at your DNA listings and there are no close relatives of mine here.  The solution might be to set up a subgroup for Pruitts or let them have a separate group.         
Ritch,

I would agree with you. The DNA does not support a connection between the two surnames except 'possibly' in one instance. With the Pratt participant in that group having only tested 12 markers, it's a tentative connection.

The Pruitt/Prewitt/Pruett participants, and the inclusion of the name in the scope of the project, was in place when I took over as administrator. Someone, at some time, thought it was appropriate to include them and I have not felt the need to upset the apple cart. It does no harm to the project and having the results shown on the same page may clear up the apparent misconception that there is a connection.

David McMillan
Administrator
Pratt DNA Study
RPruitt

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 11:30:17 AM »

Letter from FTDNA:

...There are two options that you have. First, you may email the current Pratt project administrator and request their permission to remove the Prewitt variants from their project so that you can start a separate Prewitt (and variants) project. Another option is to become a co-administrator for the existing project and work only with the Prewitt branches.
Either way, per our policy, we would need you to contact the current project administrator for their approval. The email address is mcmillanmail@comcast.net

Feel free to copy me on the correspondence so that I am aware of the decision made and we can proceed from there.

Ashley Coursey
helpdesk@ftdna.com
Family Tree DNA
http://www.FamilyTre eDNA.com
"We Put the Gene in Genealogy"

Homer Garrison

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 11:34:53 PM »

Ritch, rather than try to "pry" the Pruett/Pruitt/Prewitt name from this group, check out the group of the same name on Ancestry.  This group seems to be  getting their act together as far as DNA and information is concerned and may be a better alternate for you.     
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 19 queries.