World Families Forums - Maternal mtDNA origin may belong here?

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 11, 2014, 04:49:29 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Geographic Projects
| | |-+  Lancashire (Moderator: lancashireAdmin)
| | | |-+  Maternal mtDNA origin may belong here?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Maternal mtDNA origin may belong here?  (Read 1216 times)
PDHOTLEN

« on: May 23, 2010, 08:52:04 PM »

I have an apparently rare U5 HVR1+HVR2 haplotype. I may or may not be directly related to Alice Powell of Jamestown, colonial Virginia. But given the rarity of matches, I probably have a common ancestor with her back in England. I traced an HVR1+HVR2 match from Oregon back to Alice Powell via family trees, starting with a short tree at the SMGF website. Anyway, the mother of Alice Powell is problematic, with four different possible mothers; and who knows, maybe others. At the present time, I am fixed on a Margaret Sedgewick (Sedgwick), born 1589 in Sedbergh, Cumbria (formerly West Riding, Yorkshire). That is in a river valley upstream from Lancashire, and I was informed that the family is also found in Lancashire. So I think the Sedgewick family belongs in this Lancashire Project; even if it turns out I'm not related to them. I don't have personal contact with any living Sedgewicks, so I am just tossing this information into the ring.

U5b2/U5b2b2 (traces to colonial USA European) & R1a1a1 L664+ (Norwegian descent); X chromosome (not tested) = half Austrian and half Colonial USA. FTDNA kit #54319. Genebank EF419891. MitoSearch/Y-Search #G986T.

PDHOTLEN

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 11:24:16 PM »

Well, I clicked the "join" button for mLancashire at FTDNA. But then I noticed that there is no website. Maybe I should join the Dual Project?

U5b2/U5b2b2 (traces to colonial USA European) & R1a1a1 L664+ (Norwegian descent); X chromosome (not tested) = half Austrian and half Colonial USA. FTDNA kit #54319. Genebank EF419891. MitoSearch/Y-Search #G986T.

PDHOTLEN

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 06:27:49 AM »

I still have not changed my mind about Margaret Sedgewick/Sedgwick being my earliest female ancestress. Her (and therefor my) U5b2b2 haplotype seems to point to a Norse origin (via Ireland?).

PDHOTLEN

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 04:51:19 AM »

It's been a long time since I looked at this forum. And you can forget my ^ previous posts. The tree with Sedgewick turned out to be erroneous. It was based on information at Ancestry. But at a couple of points in the tree, well, it turned out to be doubtful or plainly impossible to connect. But, I do notice a couple of fairly close mtDNA matches from Lancashire. So way back in prehistory there was a common ancestor. But it may have been in Doggerland or the Calabrian (spelling?) Ice Age Refugium. Closer in time, my maternal origin may have been Ulster Scots; but seemingly somewhere in NW England, Ulster or Scotland.

9/9/2011
I've come around to thinking that my U5 haplotype is just plain Anglo-Saxon; nothing exotic. Since I have a rare HVR1+HVR2 match going back to earliest Massachusetts, that reinforces this view.

1 May 2012
While my direct maternal line still seems unsolvable, I have bumped into clues. My U5b2b2 haplotype seems related to Danes/Danelaw territory, with SMGF matches from Danes included. And although I still have an early Puritan Massachusetts matching tree, it looks like I also have a rare match from Maryland. That is closer to Virginia and North Carolina, and therefore the more probable origin. A surname that would have been associated with the Maryland line was Crabtree; maybe not directly related. I saw online that Crabtree origins go back to Lancashire and Yorkshire. Hmm...
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 09:10:30 AM by PDHOTLEN » Logged

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 19 queries.