World Families Forums - Looking for Demby distant relatives going back to 1700's in NC?

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 12, 2014, 07:39:24 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'D'
| | |-+  Demby (Moderator: Joe Demby)
| | | |-+  Looking for Demby distant relatives going back to 1700's in NC?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Looking for Demby distant relatives going back to 1700's in NC?  (Read 980 times)
Joe Demby

« on: May 24, 2010, 10:57:32 AM »

Hello everyone my name is Joe Demby, the Demby family administrator on World Families and I am a direct descendant of James William Demby who was my great, great grandfather. I know he was born in NC and moved to Gwinnett County GA with his mother and father when he was 3 years old. He was born in 1813, but I do not have his exact birth date. He was married in 1840 in Georgia to a Matilda Cameron and later migrated to Arkansas, where he lived until his death. I was born in Arkansas but now live near Richmond VA. James W. had one son, Joe H. Demby, who had 5 sons and two daughters. One of Joe's sons, Ellsworth Demby, was my grandfather. Ellsworth had 4 children, the oldest of which was My father, also named Joe Demby after his grandfather, and naturally I was named Joe also after my father/great grandfather. I am 62 years old,  a retired Army Officer , and have two brothers, James Demby and Richard Demby. I have been unable to find out who my great, great, great grandfather was after many years of research and working with others so I wanted to try the DNS route. I do know that Demby is a rare name and the first Demby showing up in the US census was a Joshua Demby, in the 1790 census in NC. I                                                                                                                                assume this may well be James William Demby's grandfather. I do know that Joshua Demby had a farm near where Fort Bragg NC is currently located today. There are some old land records with his name on them but nothing else other than the 1790 census records.. Today there are very few Dembys living in the USA. Many are black and I do not know the source of their name, it may well be from adopting the name or a modification of a tribal name as some have indicated. I am Caucasian and want to find like distant relatives who currently live in the Southeast or whose relatives migrated from NC or SC that have Demby as their surname. Today more Dembys live in SC than any other state and I suspect they are distant relatives of mine and of James W. Demby‚Äôs father or grandfather. I was told by my father before he passed that the Dembys migrated from Whales to North America in the early 1700s. I am hoping the DNA tests will verify this with links if possible by those out there with like surnames. I plan on approaching some of the Dembys in SC first to see if they know any of their genealogy back to colonial days and if any of their distant relatives came from NC. If  you are a Demby and  know you genealogy back to colonial days  in North Carolina or earlier in Europe,  please contact me and post any information you may have on your family tree that may help.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 10:59:24 AM by Joe Demby » Logged
muffinmancrafter3

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 11:27:32 AM »

I am the gr., gr.,of Thomas Demby born 1826.  Gr daughter of Alfred Demby,
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 21 queries.