World Families Forums - Lactase Persistence in the British Isles

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 11:09:04 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  R1b General (Moderator: rms2)
| | |-+  Lactase Persistence in the British Isles
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lactase Persistence in the British Isles  (Read 886 times)
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« on: March 13, 2010, 09:45:41 PM »

The T-13910 allele is believed to impart to adults the ability to digest lactose. Those who possess it are able to drink milk and consume other dairy products without gastro-intestinal discomfort or the other problems associated with lactose intolerance.

I think this study, Lactase persistence-related genetic variant: population substructure and health outcomes, might have been mentioned here before. Its authors concluded, for one thing, that lactase persistence (the ability to digest lactose because one is still producing the enzyme lactase) increases as one moves SE to NW in the British Isles. That struck me because I think it apparent that L21 also increases in frequency as one moves SE to NW in the British Isles.

Could there be a connection?

There is probably no way to prove that there is, but it is interesting to consider the possibility.

Here's the pertinent quote from the study's abstract:

We found an overall frequency of 0.253 for the C (lactase
non-persistence) allele, but with considerable gradients of decreasing
frequency from the south to the north and from the east to the west of
Britain for this allele.

Notice that the authors make the statement concerning the negative, that is, lactase non-persistence, rather than about lactase persistence. But if lactase non-persistence DECREASES as one one moves SE to NW in the British Isles, then it follows that lactase persistence INCREASES in the same direction.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 10:05:18 PM by rms2 » Logged

NealtheRed
Old Hand

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 10:59:07 PM »

That is really interesting. I think this has to do with the climate in the British Isles, and the folks that lived there.

My dad always told me we were not made to consume bread, but can digest milk better than most people due to our ancestry. Sure enough, if I eat pasta or bread I gain weight like crazy and am tired. But a lot of lean protein and milk keeps me going.

I wonder if this has to deal with my ancestors being pastoralists.

Y-DNA: R-Z255 (L159.2+) - Downing (Irish Sea)

MTDNA: HV4a1 - Centrella (Avellino, Italy)

Ysearch: 4PSCK

Maliclavelli
Guru

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 01:35:56 AM »

But haven't you take anything from your mother  (or from your ancestresses)?

Maliclavelli

YDNA: R-S12460

MtDNA: K1a1b1e

NealtheRed
Old Hand

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 11:37:01 AM »

Actually, my great-grandmother on my mom's side was lactose intolerant. Her family was from Naples, Italy.

Y-DNA: R-Z255 (L159.2+) - Downing (Irish Sea)

MTDNA: HV4a1 - Centrella (Avellino, Italy)

Ysearch: 4PSCK

bart otoole

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 12:06:42 PM »

That is really interesting. I think this has to do with the climate in the British Isles, and the folks that lived there.

My dad always told me we were not made to consume bread, but can digest milk better than most people due to our ancestry. Sure enough, if I eat pasta or bread I gain weight like crazy and am tired. But a lot of lean protein and milk keeps me going.

That is interesting - and I agree with the comment on starches.  Bread, pasta, and especially potatoes pack inches on my waistline.  Milk and yogurt are staples in my life.

yDNA L21+ null 425

mtDNA T2e

rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 02:46:18 PM »

That is interesting - and I agree with the comment on starches.  Bread, pasta, and especially potatoes pack inches on my waistline.  Milk and yogurt are staples in my life.

My dad is the most avid milk drinker I've ever known. He likes to drink milk on the rocks.

My maternal grandfather owned dairy cows, so my mom's family used fresh, whole milk and made its own butter, etc.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 02:49:47 PM by rms2 » Logged

IALEM
Old Hand

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 04:32:39 AM »

My family has been growing cattle at least for the last seven centuries, so it is no surprise I enjoy milk so much.

Y-DNA L21+

MDKA Lope de Arriçabalaga, born c. 1390 in Azcoitia, Basque Country

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 19 queries.