World Families Forums - Roman ancestry

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 12:43:02 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  R1b General (Moderator: rms2)
| | |-+  Roman ancestry
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Roman ancestry  (Read 481 times)
knightstemplar

« on: March 08, 2010, 01:47:46 PM »

Does anyone know what haplogroup the Romans belonged to?

It seems most with Italian surnames descended from Armenians.

My ancestors, from what my research and theory seems to say is that my family were Normans who invaded England, fought in the Crusades in the Holy Land of Israel, and settled in Scotland, England, and emigrated to America.

The Normans were mixed with Norse, Gaul, and Roman ancestry. It is a theory that my ancestors were Gaulish - Roman, their name being found in the time of Charlemagne as far as phoenetics is concerned. However, hereditary surnames did not begin until the 10th and 11th Centuries. My ancestors, who had names like Osbern and Geoffrey and William, were most likely Normans who descended from Scandinavia.

It seems that someone with R1b1b2 DNA could have descended from anything. The Spartans, Romans, Gauls, and Celts lived at different times than the Saxons, Vikings, and Normans. It is likely that a Spartan descendant moved into Rome, became Roman, then settled as a Gaul, then moved into Scandinavia after the birth of Christ, and then as Vikings invaded into Normandy, and found themselves in England.

vineviz
Old Hand

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 07:24:09 PM »

Does anyone know what haplogroup the Romans belonged to?

You mean haplogroups (plural), presumably.  E, G, I, J, R, and T would, together, probably account for the vast majority of Roman citizens.

VV
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 07:24:30 PM by vineviz » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 17 queries.