Descendants of John NOLEN
Generation No. 1
1. JOHN1 NOLEN1 was born Abt. 1775 in NC2, and died 19 Nov 1858 in Spartanburg Co SC3. He married (1) SARAH OLIVER4. She was born Abt. 1780 in SC5, and died 07 Aug 1852 in Spartanburg Co SC6. He married (2) MARY LNU7. She died 23 Apr 1854.
Children of JOHN NOLEN and SARAH OLIVER are:
2. i. WILLIAM2 NOLEN, b. 24 Oct 1807, SC; d. 11 Jun 1887.
ii. JOHN NOLEN.
iii. AARON NOLEN.
iv. GIBSON NOLEN8.
3. v. ABSOLOM NOLEN, b. Abt. 1802, SC.
vi. MARY NOLEN9, m. HUGHEY.
Generation No. 2
2. WILLIAM2 NOLEN (JOHN1)10 was born 24 Oct 1807 in SC, and died 11 Jun 188711. He married (1) MELINDA O'BANNON12 14 Dec 1830 in Lawrence Co MS13, daughter of DAWSON O'BANNON and FRANKY HARRIS. She was born 04 Mar 1815 in Pike Co MS?, and died 24 Apr 1860. He married (2) SARAH MAE JORDAN14 25 Sep 1860. She was born 11 Apr 1825, and died 19 Sep 1869. He married (3) SARAH HOZA RIEVES15 04 Nov 1870. She was born 11 Apr 1825, and died 25 May 1892.
Children of WILLIAM NOLEN and MELINDA O'BANNON are:
4. i. FRANCES3 NOLEN, b. 23 Jan 1832; d. 24 Oct 1891.
ii. JOHN NOLEN16, b. 08 Jan 183417; d. 23 Oct 1865; m. VENZINA HARGIS.
iii. WILLIAM HARRISON NOLEN18, b. 28 Feb 1836; d. 04 Oct 1925, San Angelo TX; m. SOPHRONIA TOLBERT19; b. 1850, AL; d. 23 Oct 1914, TX.
5. iv. NANCY NOLEN, b. 07 Apr 1838.
6. v. SARAH ANN NOLEN, b. 25 Apr 1840; d. 10 Jun 1897.
vi. THOMAS WILSON NOLEN, b. 13 Oct 1842; d. 1866.
7. vii. NEWTON BURGESS NOLEN, b. 10 Dec 1845; d. 19 Dec 1929.
viii. JOSEPH JASPER NOLEN, b. 27 Mar 1849; d. 10 Feb 1865.
8. ix. BRYANT PINKNEY NOLEN, b. 11 Oct 1851, Claiborne Parish LA; d. 12 Mar 1936, Pecos TX.
x. INFANT NOLEN, b. 23 Apr 1854; d. 18 Jul 1854.
xi. INFANT NOLEN, b. 20 Jul 1855; d. 20 Jul 1855.
9. xii. DOCTOR FRANKLIN NOLEN, b. 20 Nov 1856; d. 22 Oct 1933.
Children of WILLIAM NOLEN and SARAH JORDAN are:
xiii. PEGGY DAVIS3 NOLEN20, b. 06 Jul 1861; d. 13 Sep 1862.
10. xiv. VIANA MALINDA NOLEN, b. 09 Feb 1863.
xv. MARTHA JANE NOLEN21, b. 23 Jun 1864; d. 19 Jun 1950; m. SILAS INGRAM.
xvi. MATILDA ANN NOLEN22, b. 21 May 1866; d. 1948; m. FRANK SIDES.
xvii. LAFAYETTE GREEN BERRY NOLEN, b. 19 Dec 1867; d. 08 May 1889.
3. ABSOLOM2 NOLEN (JOHN1)23 was born Abt. 1802 in SC24. He married SUSAN25 Abt. 1836. She was born Abt. 1810 in SC26.
Children of ABSOLOM NOLEN and SUSAN are:
i. WILLIAM B.3 NOLEN27, b. Abt. 1836, SC28; m. MARY29, Bef. 1867, SC30.
ii. JOHN B. NOLEN31, b. Abt. 1838, SC32.
Generation No. 3
4. FRANCES3 NOLEN (WILLIAM2, JOHN1)33 was born 23 Jan 1832, and died 24 Oct 1891. She married WILLIAM M. WALLACE34 11 Jan 1854.
Children of FRANCES NOLEN and WILLIAM WALLACE are:
i. WILLIAM L.4 WALLACE35, m. MYRA.
ii. MALINDA ELIZABETH WALLACE36, m. (1) LUNN MORE; m. (2) F. AUSTIN.
iii. ELIJAH STEELE WALLACE37, d. 05 Oct 1919, Coryell TX38; m. MAGGIE.
5. NANCY3 NOLEN (WILLIAM2, JOHN1) was born 07 Apr 183839. She married (1) BRYAN O'BANNON 29 Jan 1838. She married (2) CALVIN WALLACE40 30 Apr 1856.
Children of NANCY NOLEN and CALVIN WALLACE are:
i. MARTHA JANE4 WALLACE41, m. (1) JOE JACKSON; m. (2) JOHN MONCRIEF42.
ii. NANCY ELLEN WALLACE, m. J. W. OWENS43; d. 21 Mar 1932.
iii. MALINDA WALLACE, m. FRANK STROTHER44.
11. iv. CALEB PINKNEY WALLACE, b. 10 Oct 1879; d. Jul 1935.
6. SARAH ANN3 NOLEN (WILLIAM2, JOHN1) was born 25 Apr 1840, and died 10 Jun 1897. She married WILLIAM A. BOOLES45 20 Dec 1857.
Children of SARAH NOLEN and WILLIAM BOOLES are:
i. YANCY4 BOOLES46, d. Abt. 1900.
ii. JOE P. BOOLES47.
7. NEWTON BURGESS3 NOLEN (WILLIAM2, JOHN1) was born 10 Dec 1845, and died 19 Dec 1929. He married LAURA HARRINGTON48. She died 23 Nov 192749.
Children of NEWTON NOLEN and LAURA HARRINGTON are:
i. JAMES NEWTON4 NOLEN50, b. Abt. 1870; d. Abt. 1886.
ii. J. CICERO NOLEN51, b. 06 Apr 1872.
12. iii. FRED NOLEN, b. Abt. 1884; d. 14 Feb 1901.
8. BRYANT PINKNEY3 NOLEN (WILLIAM2, JOHN1) was born 11 Oct 1851 in Claiborne Parish LA, and died 12 Mar 1936 in Pecos TX. He married SARAH MARIAH HENRY52 27 Jan 1876, daughter of EDWARD HENRY and MALIDA C.. She was born 20 Jan 1854 in AL, and died 23 Mar 1883 in Ranger TX.
Children of BRYANT NOLEN and SARAH HENRY are:
i. ROSY4 NOLEN, b. 25 Sep 1876; d. 29 Sep 1876.
ii. WILLIAM EDWARD NOLEN, b. 05 Aug 1878; d. 16 Feb 1879.
iii. THOMAS PINKNEY NOLEN, b. 23 Jan 1880, Stephens Co TX near Ranger; m. OLIVE CORINNE GURLEY.
9. DOCTOR FRANKLIN3 NOLEN (WILLIAM2, JOHN1)53 was born 20 Nov 1856, and died 22 Oct 1933. He married EMMA BUTLER 24 Dec 1878. She died 04 Jan 190354.
Children of DOCTOR NOLEN and EMMA BUTLER are:
i. GERTRUDE4 NOLEN55, b. 24 Nov 1881; d. 22 Jan 1884.
ii. ELIZA MALINDA NOLEN56, b. 25 Oct 1879; m. E. H. GRIFFIN.
iii. MAUDE LEE NOLEN57, b. 29 Mar 1884; m. SOWELL.
13. iv. WILLIAM FRANKLIN NOLEN, b. 19 Feb 1886; d. 1964.
v. J. BRYANT NOLEN58, b. 23 Feb 1888.
14. vi. KAY RAY NOLEN, b. 27 Jan 1891; d. 18 Oct 1929.
vii. FRANCES NEVADA NOLEN59, b. 02 Dec 1893; m. KIMMEY.
10. VIANA MALINDA3 NOLEN (WILLIAM2, JOHN1) was born 09 Feb 1863. She married WILL SUMRALL60.
Children of VIANA NOLEN and WILL SUMRALL are:
15. i. PERRY4 SUMRALL, d. Nov 1948.
ii. DELL SUMRALL61, d. 16 Dec 1946.
iii. CLAUDE SUMRALL.
iv. GILES SUMRALL.
v. MAUDE SUMRALL, m. JIM LACKEY62.
vi. JETTIE SUMRALL, m. BOYD HOLMES63.
vii. NAOMI SUMRALL64, m. FORD.
Generation No. 4
11. CALEB PINKNEY4 WALLACE (NANCY3 NOLEN, WILLIAM2, JOHN1) was born 10 Oct 1879, and died Jul 193565. He married PINKEY HAMMOND66.
Children of CALEB WALLACE and PINKEY HAMMOND are:
i. JOHN5 WALLACE67.
ii. EMMA MAY WALLACE68.
iii. DAU. WALLACE.
12. FRED4 NOLEN (NEWTON BURGESS3, WILLIAM2, JOHN1)69 was born Abt. 1884, and died 14 Feb 1901. He married DORA TOMME.
Child of FRED NOLEN and DORA TOMME is:
i. BRUCE5 NOLEN70.
13. WILLIAM FRANKLIN4 NOLEN (DOCTOR FRANKLIN3, WILLIAM2, JOHN1)71 was born 19 Feb 1886, and died 1964.
Child of WILLIAM FRANKLIN NOLEN is:
i. WILLIAM FRANKLIN NOLEN5 JR..
14. KAY RAY4 NOLEN (DOCTOR FRANKLIN3, WILLIAM2, JOHN1)72 was born 27 Jan 1891, and died 18 Oct 1929. He married EDITH ARNOLD.
Child of KAY NOLEN and EDITH ARNOLD is:
i. K. R. NOLEN5 JR..
15. PERRY4 SUMRALL (VIANA MALINDA3 NOLEN, WILLIAM2, JOHN1)73 died Nov 1948.
Child of PERRY SUMRALL is:
i. ALTON5 SUMRALL74.
At this stage of investigation, I am dissatisfied with the results as regards the parents and ancestors of William Nolen. I am unable to separate the Barnwell Dist (GA border) and Spartanburg (NC border) Nolens or the Absoloms to my satisfaction. So this is provisional except, obviously, where the documents are unambiguous.
1. Walter Sowell's notes from William Franklin NOLEN (1886-1964) say that John [?] NOLEN had at least three sons, William, John, and Aaron. Somewhere I found that the1850 census shows John (75) and Sarah (70) living with Absolom, but I cannot confirm this datum.
2. According to Brent H. Holcomb, in the 1850 census Absolom says that his father was born in NC. Rutherford Co NC is 15 miles from Thompson's Creek of Pacolet R., where Nolen family lived, and there were Nolens in Rutherford Co NC.
3. John was still living in 1852: Common Pleas 1852 #3702. Death date from Bible of Mary HUGHEY, probably a daughter.
4. Maiden name unconfirmed. B. H. Holcomb believes that Gibson OLIVER was Sarah's father. There is disagreement over names of John's wife, so perhaps Mary NOLEN was his second wife.
5. Birthdate and place based on 1850 census.
6. Info. from B. H. Holcomb, from Bible of Mary HUGHEY, probably a daughter.
7. Death date from Maude Lee Nolen SOWELLS's notes.
9. B. H. Holcomb believes that this person was a dau. of John and Sarah NOLEN. Mary Nolen HUGHEY's Bible registers the death date of "Sally" [Sarah?] Nolen, wife of John, as 7 Aug 1852.
10. Maude Lee Nolen Sowell (29 Mar 1884-30 Nov 1954, San Angelo TX) made notes, apparently from family Bibles, which her son Walter Sowell copied 28 Jul 1981 and distributed to family members. Mrs. Sowell's notes that say that William NOLEN married three times and that his mother Mary NOLEN died 23 Apr 1854. She says only that Wm's second wife was the mother of "Mattie, Matilda, and Lafayette," so the division of the children among the wives is based on dates of birth.
11. Thomas Pinkney NOLEN's notes have two other death dates: 11 Jun 1881 and 1866. .
12. Dates from Thomas Pinkney NOLEN. Name also spelled Malinda.
13. Acc. Mrs. Sowell's notes.
14. Dates from Thomas Pinkney NOLEN.
15. Walter Sowells' notes are the source of Sarah Hoza Rieves's full name and dates. Note that birthday is same as second wife's, so there is an error somewhere.
16. Based on information from Thomas Pinkney Nolen.
17. Source unknown.
18. In 1922, the TN Historical Committee sent questionnaires to Civil War veterans, and copy of Wm. Harrison NOLEN's reply is available in the Manuscript Division of the Dept. of Libraries. It gives his parentage (father Wm. NOLEN born near Columbus [?] GA near the Barnwell Chesterfield [?] SC line; mother Malinda O'Bannon; g-father Dawson Burgess O'BANNON, wife unknown, who lived in Claiborne Parish LA), details of farm life before the Civil War, slaves,schools,etc. He enlisted at Vienna, Jackson Parish LA 20 Jul 1861, in Company H, 12th LA Regiment, was wounded and captured at Corinth MS, suffered at Camp Chase prison. Released 24 July 1865, he returned home by boat via Mobile, up the Red River to Nachitoches, walked from there to Lisbon LA, moved to TX, and was living at Santo, near San Benito TX, Cameron Co, aged 86 yrs. Other information from Thomas Pinkney Nolen, who says that he moved to TX with his father.
19. Source: William Franklin NOLEN's notes give no surname but have "Pinkie Sophronia A. " Nolen's dates. She was admitted to an insane asylum at Terrell TX 21 Oct 1885; buried in state cemetery grave no. 1319. Thomas Pinkney Nolen's notes call her "Pinky" Tolbert and say that she died c. 1910.
20. Walter Sowell's notes call this person Perry, not Peggy.
21. Information from notes of Thomas Pinkney NOLEN. "Mattie" Nolen INGRAM lived at Ranger TX.
22. Information from notes of Thomas Pinkney NOLEN. The Sides family lived at Ranger TX.
23. 1850 Census shows that John (75) and Sarah (70) NOLEN were living with Absolom. Both were born in SC, according to my notes.
24. Date of birth based on 1850 census.
25. Susan's birthdate based on 1850 Census. Susan Nolen and her husband donated land ot Edmond Wooten et al. 2 Oct 1838 as a site for a Methodist church. This same Wooten gave to Susan 100 acres 16 Oct 1836. Susan Nolen appears to be related to the families of Wooten and Burnett, to judge from court documents.
26. Date of birth based on 1850 census.
27. Middle initial from court records Book MM, p. 202, July 11, 1872.
28. Birthdate and place based on 1850 census.
29. Widow of Rial B. Seay, acc. to Equity 1867 Box 46, package 13.
30. Date based on Equity 1867 box 45, package 13.
31. Middle initial comes from court records, Book MM, p. 202, July 11, 1872.
32. Birthdate and place based on 1850 census.
33. Acc. to Thomas Pinkney NOLEN, "Franky" and her husband settled in Coryell Co TX near Gatesville. .
34. Maude Lee Nolen Sowell's notes.
35. Based on notes of Thomas Pinkney Nolen. William L. Wallace lived at Canyon, Randall Co TX, had nine children.
36. Based on notes from Thomas Pinkney NOLEN.
37. Based on notes of Thomas Pinkney NOLEN. Elijah S. Wallace had four children.
38. Acc. Thomas Pinkney NOLEN.
39. Thomas Pinkney NOLEN's notes give birthdate as 27 Apr 1838. Birth and marriage date are incompatible.
40. William Franklin NOLEN's notes say that Nance NOLEN married a MONCRIEf.
41. Acc. to notes of Thomas Pinkney NOLEN, the family resided near Hico LA.
42. Based on notes of Thomas Pinkney NOLEN.
43. Acc. notes of Thomas Pinkney NOLEN, these people lived at Hico LA.
44. Acc. notes of Thomas Pinkney NOLEN, these people lived at Eldorado AR.
45. The name is also spelled Bowles.
46. Acc. notes of Thomas Pinkney NOLEN, he worked as water pumper for Texas and Pacific RR, as did his brother. Yancy never married.
47. Acc. to notes of Thomas Pinkney NOLEN, he lived at Strawn TX. Worked as water pumper for Texas and Pacific RR, as did his brother.
48. Acc. notes of Thomas Pinkney NOLEN.
49. Acc. to notes of Thomas Pinkney NOLEN.
50. Information from notes of Thomas Pinkney NOLEN.
51. Acc. to notes of Thomas Pinkney NOLEN, he lived at Graham TX.
52. Thomas Pinkney NOLEN, in a now-lost letter abt. 1957 to J. R. Jones, says that Sarah Mariah Henry's father, William (as well as he could remember), whose real surname was "Duce" [Douse, Dousse, Douce?] was adopted by the Henry family. T. P. NOLEN met his uncles, Sarah Mariah's brothers Tom and "Bud," marble-cutters in Waco, when he was a child of 7 or 8. There were at least two sisters, all from Waco. Sarah Mariah Henry and her sisters died of tuberculosis. S. M. H. Nolen died when T. P. Nolen was 3 years old and was bured in a cemetery at Robinson, McClennon Co TX, near Waco. Her dates are on her gravestone. In a letter to T. P. Nolen, E. H. O'Dowd, the mayor of Robinson TX, says that the Henry family lived in Robinson until the 1920s, that there are other Henry graves in the Robinson and Lorena cemeteries. There is a Sarah HENRY b. 1854 in AL living with father Edward (b. MS) and mother Matilda (b. AL) living in Panola Co Tx in 1860 with younger brother and sister, a possibility. Panola Co is on the LA border.
53. Acc. notes of Thomas Pinkney NOLEN, "Dock" lived in Calcasieu Par. LA.
54. Death date from notes of Thomas Pinkney NOLEN.
55. Information from notes of Walter Sowell.
56. Acc. to notes of Thomas Pinkney NOLEN, these people lived at Weatherford TX.
57. Acc. to notes of Thomas Pinkney NOLEN, Maude SOWELL resided at San Angelo TX.
58. Acc. to notes of Thomas Pinkney Nolen, he lived at Lufkin TX.
59. Acc. to notes of Thomas Pinkney NOLEN, Mrs. Kimmey lived at San Angelo TX.
60. Information from notes of Thomas Pinkney NOLEN. Summrall killed by lightning.
61. Info. from Thomas Pinkney NOLEN. Dell may be a man's name. Resided at Marana, AZ.
62. Notes of Thomas Pinkney NOLEN. Name Lackey may be Harkey. Resided at Huntsville AL.
63. Acc. to Thomas Pinkney NOLEN, Christian name may not be correct. Resided at San Angelo TX.
64. Acc. to notes of Thomas Pinkney NOLEN, they lived at Crossroads NM, where they had gone from Ranger TX in the 1890s.
65. Notes of Thomas Pinkney NOLEN give two death dates: Jul 1935 and c. 1920.
66. Acc. notes of Thomas Pinkney NOLEN.
67. Acc. Thomas Pinkney NOLEN, he lived at Edorado AR.
68. Acc. to notes of Thomas Pinkney NOLEN, she lived at Eldorado AR.
69. Information from notes of Thomas Pinkney NOLEN. Fred NOLEN lived at Graham, Young Co TX.
70. Acc. to Thomas Pinkney NOLEN, he lived at Neodesha, Kansas.
71. Acc. to notes of Thomas Pinkney NOLEN, he lived at Dallas TX. Dates from notes of W. E. Sowell.
72. Acc. notes of Thomas Pinkney NOLEN, he lived at Hemphill TX.
73. Acc. to notes of Thomas Pinkney NOLEN, he lived at Ranger TX.
74. Acc. to notes of Thomas Pinkney NOLEN, he lived at Slaton TX.
Joseph R. Jonesjonesjosephr@insightbb.com