World Families Forums - New Robin Hood Flick Starring Russell Crowe

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 25, 2014, 11:57:06 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  R1b General (Moderator: rms2)
| | |-+  New Robin Hood Flick Starring Russell Crowe
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Robin Hood Flick Starring Russell Crowe  (Read 1107 times)
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« on: December 19, 2009, 01:06:17 PM »

Looks awesome! It's by Ridley Scott of "Gladiator" fame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2kQ7Spm5fo

I understand it's supposed to be in the cinemas in May.

GoldenHind
Old Hand

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 07:41:35 PM »

The trouble with this sort of film is that the Normans are always the bad guys.
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 04:25:50 PM »

Except for the Lionheart and his boys. I don't know how far they will go with the Normans vs. Saxons thing. We'll have to wait and see.

That Kevin Costner version from some years ago was just awful. It's hard to imagine this could be any worse.

GoldenHind
Old Hand

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 07:55:23 PM »

Except for the Lionheart and his boys. I don't know how far they will go with the Normans vs. Saxons thing. We'll have to wait and see.

That Kevin Costner version from some years ago was just awful. It's hard to imagine this could be any worse.
All this Saxon vs. Norman idea comes from Sir Walter Scott, but by the time of King Richard (who though Duke of Normandy was actually an Angevin), the two were pretty well mixed, at least at level of manorial holders.
You're certainly right about the Kevin Costner film. I nominate him for the worst effort at an English accent by an American actor in the history of cinema.
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 08:11:13 PM »

All this Saxon vs. Norman idea comes from Sir Walter Scott, but by the time of King Richard (who though Duke of Normandy was actually an Angevin), the two were pretty well mixed, at least at level of manorial holders.
You're certainly right about the Kevin Costner film. I nominate him for the worst effort at an English accent by an American actor in the history of cinema.

Besides that, I think the Robin legend predates the arrival of the Normans in England by a couple of centuries at least.

That Costner film was a mess of political correctness and terrible acting. I am surprised the real Robin Hood (if there ever was one) hasn't risen from the grave, stalked Costner and the rest of that crew and brought the whole lot to some grisly, yet fitting, end.

Pendragon1962

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 01:01:30 AM »

It was filmed in Wales, were Russell Crowe's family is from.

Y-DNA: R-L21+
Mike Walsh
Guru

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 11:05:12 AM »

.. Except for the Lionheart and his boys. I don't know how far they will go with the Normans vs. Saxons thing. We'll have to wait and see...
The Saxons seem to be go either way in our media's perception.  They are the good guys against the Normans, but they were bad guys against King Arthur.  Clive Owen was Arthur and Ioan Gruffud was Lancelot.  There are some Welsh names, although I see Owen is from Warwickshire.

R1b-L21>L513(DF1)>L705.2
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 06:02:41 PM »

I'm really looking forward to seeing it.

Besides "Gladiator", the other Ridley Scott film I have seen was "Kingdom of Heaven". I enjoyed that one, although its own political correctness (Muslims as the good-guy "victims" of the Crusades, etc.) was certainly a major handicap. I hope this new "Robin Hood" is free of all that kind of blather. It's so tiring.

Pendragon1962

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 11:51:38 PM »

I'm really looking forward to seeing it.

Besides "Gladiator", the other Ridley Scott film I have seen was "Kingdom of Heaven". I enjoyed that one, although its own political correctness (Muslims as the good-guy "victims" of the Crusades, etc.) was certainly a major handicap. I hope this new "Robin Hood" is free of all that kind of blather. It's so tiring.

I have both on dvd, great movies !
seem's Ridley Scott likes history, which I think is great, need more producers like him.

I saw the trailer for Robin Hood on the Super Bowl tonight, looks like it's going to be a great  for summer, May 14.
Great battle action in it.

Oh !   I read on the web that Mel Gibson's next   is going to be about the Vikings and they'll be speaking old Norse in it, he wants to make it so real, it will scare you to death.  He said he's always wanted to make a Viking  since he was young.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 11:57:38 PM by Pendragon1962 » Logged

Y-DNA: R-L21+
F.E.C.

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 10:44:28 AM »

Oh !   I read on the web that Mel Gibson's next   is going to be about the Vikings and they'll be speaking old Norse in it, he wants to make it so real, it will scare you to death.  He said he's always wanted to make a Viking  since he was young.
Still waiting for Mel's Boudicca flick here.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 10:44:43 AM by F.E.C. » Logged
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 01:16:48 PM »

Still waiting for Mel's Boudicca flick here.

Did he make one?

I would like to see that!

Oh, and welcome, Francesco! Glad to see you here!

F.E.C.

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2010, 01:43:57 PM »

Thanks Rich. :)

It's an old rumor: http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/film/article846648.ece
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2010, 02:02:05 PM »

Ah! I do think Mel would probably mangle history a bit, but the result would still be highly entertaining.

What happened to that "Brian Boru" film  someone was supposed to be making?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 02:02:22 PM by rms2 » Logged

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 19 queries.