World Families Forums - R-L21* in Belgium

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 12:13:32 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  R1b General (Moderator: rms2)
| | |-+  R-L21* in Belgium
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: R-L21* in Belgium  (Read 697 times)
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« on: December 28, 2009, 10:32:56 AM »

We have a new R-L21* whose ancestor came from Flanders in Belgium: Vanover, kit 35171, Ysearch 4VHY9.

He's our first from Belgium of hopefully many many more.

Needless to say, I'm very happy. That helps start to fill in a gap in our data.

NealtheRed
Old Hand

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 06:41:44 PM »

Bravo! I am happy to see this result as well. Our last couple of L21+ results have started to fill in that gap, whether it be Luxembourgish, Dutch or Belgian.

Y-DNA: R-Z255 (L159.2+) - Downing (Irish Sea)

MTDNA: HV4a1 - Centrella (Avellino, Italy)

Ysearch: 4PSCK

Mike Walsh
Guru

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 12:46:03 AM »

Bravo! I am happy to see this result as well. Our last couple of L21+ results have started to fill in that gap, whether it be Luxembourgish, Dutch or Belgian.
Yes, and I wish they all had 67 markers.

I'm dying to fit some of these continental guys into some of clusters be they with Isles folks or with some other continental guys.   Excepting the "Baltic East European" cluster,  I just can't seem to make anything fit.  

I think there is a story in that.   I believe this is an indicator that the most of the R-L21* branch or branches from the continent into the Isles happened a long time ago... in other words long before any randy monks, Gaellic merchants and even before Nial, etc., etc.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 10:17:14 AM by Mikewww » Logged

R1b-L21>L513(DF1)>L705.2
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 09:51:36 AM »

I checked FTDNA's Ancestral Origins, and as of this morning there are only 437 men in it who list Belgium as their ancestral homeland (and certainly not all of them have been SNP tested). So, Belgium is obviously pretty grossly under represented. Compare that with the well over 51,000 for the British Isles (around 12,000 for Ireland alone).
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 09:52:29 AM by rms2 » Logged

rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 12:47:17 PM »

Well, I have to make a slight correction. I heard from the lady in charge of Vanover's kit. It turns out the most distant ancestor was born in Sluis in East Flanders, just over the border in the Netherlands, almost but not quite in Belgium.

So, I guess we are still waiting for our first confirmed Belgian R-L21*.

alan trowel hands.
Guru

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 09:55:56 PM »

Well, I have to make a slight correction. I heard from the lady in charge of Vanover's kit. It turns out the most distant ancestor was born in Sluis in East Flanders, just over the border in the Netherlands, almost but not quite in Belgium.

So, I guess we are still waiting for our first confirmed Belgian R-L21*.

It is very weird that southern Holland seems to have produced a reasonable spread of L21 but Belgium has not.  Both were part pf Belgic Gaul between the Seine and the original path of the Lower Rhine.  It may be down to a lack of testing in the Walloon (Gallo-Roman spreaking) areas of southern Belgium where normally one might assume more pre-Germanic lines would survive than in the Flemish north
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 12:33:24 PM »

It is very weird that southern Holland seems to have produced a reasonable spread of L21 but Belgium has not.  Both were part pf Belgic Gaul between the Seine and the original path of the Lower Rhine.  It may be down to a lack of testing in the Walloon (Gallo-Roman spreaking) areas of southern Belgium where normally one might assume more pre-Germanic lines would survive than in the Flemish north

The Belgian testing pool is also just much smaller than the Dutch testing pool.  As of this morning, there are 1,395 men of Netherlands descent in FTDNA's Ancestral Origins database and only 438 men of Belgian descent.

I'm guessing most of both groups are R1b, but probably only a small percentage of both have been SNP tested.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 19 queries.