World Families Forums - DNA results

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 06:30:17 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'B'
| | |-+  Byrne (Moderator: Paul Burns)
| | | |-+  DNA results
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: DNA results  (Read 2381 times)
rjburns

« on: May 16, 2008, 02:48:17 PM »

I just received the results of my DNA testing and to tell the truth I'm very confused as I'm sure anyone new to this is.

I'm told I have 64 matches, to my 12 marker test, yet non of them are a match to my surname of "Burns".  I was hoping that by submitting for a DNA test I would be able to find anyone that is connected to me.  But now I'm told that these 64 matches are only connected to me somewhere within the past 1000 years.  Not very rewarding.

Almost feel like I was ripped off for $150.  This isn't exactly what I anticipated.

Now it is suggested that I retest for 37 markers in order to get a better match.  As I am not educated in the world of DNA testing, it's almost like a bait and switch operation.

Would someone please educate me or tell me to get lost.  I'm not a wealthy person and can't afford tests after tests.
rjburns

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 04:10:59 PM »

I see no one has replied to my statements, so I guess I was right in my assumptions.
I'm surprised it wasn't deleted.
Bryant

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 04:54:04 PM »

I'm new to DNA testing too.  I'm sure that 37 markers beat 12, but my opinion at this time is that results will be more conclusive in the future when more people have tested.   Also, the price seems to be coming down, so you may just want to wait a while.
Kevin Byrne

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 05:12:01 AM »

I don't fully understand either, but I imagine that 12 markers are a very broad brush and, over time, the ancestor who provided them will have very many descendants of all sorts of names to share those markers.  Simple statistics suggest that "Byrnes" will be in a minority.  As you increase to more markers e.g. 67, the same statistical process will ensure that an ever-increasing proportion of matches will be closer to you, and therefore - assuming that everything in every line was above board - there will be more Byrnes listed (of whatever spelling).  Even those with differing names will be technically and factually as close.  So, sadly, one must continue to upgrade to additional markers as they become available.  For slightly more fun, one can join the Family Finder scheme, which finds close matches on all lines, not just strictly paternal. Of course, when one cannot discover the connection to a 3rd or 4th cousin, it does underline the fact that earlier generations had many more children that we always know about, and possibly rather more partners too.
David Burns

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 12:19:19 PM »

I got the Family Tree DNA Y37. It's producing some good results, very quickly.
You still have to do a LOT of record research to make valid connections though.
I have found sure kin where I never expected it.
And I just found that a long ago Arkansas friend (we both suspected we were far kin), is no kin to me at all, but she is related to #62909,27133,and 62655 on Result Page.
Even have one person with a different Surname, trying to figure why their DNA matches my Burns DNA. Haven't figured that one out yet. (;
Sean Patrick Burns

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 12:25:34 AM »

I agree, these test results are a bit confusing. 25 markers are in and it looks like i have some resonable matches if you go back 28 generations? How many years wouild that be? Anyway the rest of the 37 markers are yet to be posted.
fingers crossed 

from Enniscorthy to Montreal to Chicago to Indiana
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 19 queries.