World Families Forums - Mizell Genealogy Research

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 11:56:28 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'M'
| | |-+  Mizell (Moderator: mizellAdmin)
| | | |-+  Mizell Genealogy Research
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mizell Genealogy Research  (Read 1160 times)
Pearsey

« on: October 02, 2009, 01:01:05 PM »

Hello,
Off and on since about 1985, I've been working on the Mizell family as a whole, which encompasses any living in Chowan, Bertie, Tyrrell and Martin Counties in North Carolina (along with Halifax, Edgecombe Counties) and their descendants, which involves most of the states in the nation.  

I am interested in tying the results of this research to the DNA tests from the Mizell DNA project and am offering my help if anyone who tests here isn't sure of their specific family tree.  If you will contact me I will try and build a pedigree for you.   I think it will further research into this family's origins.   I am descended from John Mizell d.1747 in Chowan Co. N.C.   Nobody is certain who his father was, popular opinion is that it was Luke Mizell III d.1756 or so in Bertie Co. N.C.  but the dates do not match up and the two men are not linked in any land/will record.  I suspect John is from a different branch and may be born out of wedlock to an Anne Meazel who settled in Northhampton Co. Va. in 1690, which is the same area that John Mizell first appears in, 1730.  This area became part of Chowan County, North Carolina some years later.  

The other patriarchs of this family appear to be Lawrence Mizell b.ca.1651 d.1696 Chowan Co. N.C. through his sons Luke Mizell III who lived in Bertie Co. N.C. and William Mizell d.1761 Tyrrell Co. N.C.   

Many descendants of John Mizell d.1747 changed their last name to Measles, Meazell, Meazel, Measle among other variations and settled in Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, Texas, Alabama.  Many of these men were skilled "coopers" or "turners" which meant they were barrell makers or wagon wheel makers.  This skill was passed down through the centuries from John Mizell d.1747 to men living in the 1850's.   That skill is not seen in the descendants of William Mizell d.1761 for the most part. 
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 01:05:05 PM by Pearsey » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 18 queries.