World Families Forums - the need to help fund non-personal continental L21 testing

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 08:32:59 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  R1b General (Moderator: rms2)
| | |-+  the need to help fund non-personal continental L21 testing
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: the need to help fund non-personal continental L21 testing  (Read 7042 times)
alan trowel hands.
Guru

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2009, 08:29:56 AM »

That looks like a panel rather than simply L21 as a stand alone.

I cannot find L21 as a separate test on the Advanced Orders SNP list anymore, but we haven't had any trouble ordering it when the project is paying for it.

Guess I'm going to have to write FTDNA.

I don't understand why they would take L21 off the a la carte SNP list. Surely it's one of their best sellers?
[/quote

Worrying.  That could really bring progress on testing the many R1b1b2 that have had no prior SNP testing (which I understand is most of it) to a halt. 
Mike Walsh
Guru

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2009, 12:11:43 PM »

I think if we do not ever get round to testing eastern Europe for L21 we will never be able to even start guessing how far east L21 fist happened.  I suspect S116 first happened quite far east, perhaps in the Balkans, and that L21 happened somewhere along the Danube. I base this on the basis that S116* is found on both sides of the Alps but L21 is only found on the north.  In eastern Europe the Czech Rep-Slovakia-south Poland axis was an important Celtic metal trade area in the Iron Age.  To the south, the Danube is the natural route (Austria and Hungary) between the east and west north of the Alps.  Almost all L21 lies north of the Alps and Pyrenees so its pretty clear that its an axis L21 would have travelled along.    
This is tantamount to saying Italo-Celtic speaking peoples carried a lot of P312* with them and that L21 originated on the Celtic side of the Italo-Celtic split.

Did the LBK stay north of the Alps and Pyrenees?  Is south all Impressed Wares lands?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 12:18:18 PM by Mike » Logged

R1b-L21>L513(DF1)>S6365>L705.2(&CTS11744,CTS6621)
alan trowel hands.
Guru

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2009, 01:41:50 AM »

/quote]
This is tantamount to saying Italo-Celtic speaking peoples carried a lot of P312* with them and that L21 originated on the Celtic side of the Italo-Celtic split.

Did the LBK stay north of the Alps and Pyrenees?  Is south all Impressed Wares lands?
[/quote]

Roughly speaking  yes.  There was a large area in between them that wasnt settled by either the classic LBK or Impressed Ware but LBK seeems to be the root of descendant cultures like Rossen and Michelsburgh, Funnel Beaker, probably the isles Neolithic etc and there expansion filled in most of the gaps.  The problem with the idea that S116 travelled west by both the Danubian and Mediteranean routes is that that requires S116 to have already happened in a common shared root cultute before the two cultures parted c. 8000 years ago somewhere in the Balkans and L21 to have happened by perhaps 7000 years ago.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 06:10:52 AM by alan trowel hands. » Logged
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2009, 09:56:43 AM »

Here's another update on the "L21 Pending" category. We added another Czech whose L21 results we're waiting on.

1. Barbier - Belgium
2. Beer - Switzerland
3. Conrardy - Luxembourg
4. Dupuis - France
5. Goblirsch - Czech Republic
6. Hugenholtz - Germany
7. Lemaire - France
8. Londry - France
9. Dvorak - Czech Republic

A number of these guys appear simply as kit numbers on our Y-DNA Results page because they have not put anything into their "Plot Ancestral Locations" pages. I have no control over that; it's up to the individual member to complete the "PAL" page.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 09:58:22 AM by rms2 » Logged

NealtheRed
Old Hand

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2009, 10:53:00 AM »

Wow, that's great! It's good to know we have some Czechs in the mix as well.

Y-DNA: R-Z255 (L159.2+) - Downing (Irish Sea)

MTDNA: HV4a1 - Centrella (Avellino, Italy)

Ysearch: 4PSCK

rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2009, 10:59:46 AM »

Wow, that's great! It's good to know we have some Czechs in the mix as well.

And that last one, Dvorak, has some fairly close R-L21* matches (33/37, for example). I know that doesn't guarantee anything, but it's a hopeful sign.

rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2009, 07:55:23 PM »

Updating the "L21 Pending" list once again to show that Dupuis (#4) got his L21+ result and has been moved to the France category and the addition of yet another Czech, Svoboda.

1. Barbier - Belgium
2. Beer - Switzerland
3. Conrardy - Luxembourg
4. Dupuis - France (confirmed L21+!)
5. Goblirsch - Czech Republic
6. Hugenholtz - Germany
7. Lemaire - France
8. Londry - France
9. Dvorak - Czech Republic
9. Svoboda - Czech Republic

NealtheRed
Old Hand

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2009, 08:14:36 PM »

Great on Dupuis!!! Dvorak and Svoboda, it's starting to sound like a hockey team around here!

Y-DNA: R-Z255 (L159.2+) - Downing (Irish Sea)

MTDNA: HV4a1 - Centrella (Avellino, Italy)

Ysearch: 4PSCK

rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2009, 10:43:43 AM »

Here's the updated list. Sadly, Barbier went L21- (within 8 days of his order, I might add).

1. Beer - Switzerland
2. Conrardy - Luxembourg
3. Goblirsch - Czech Republic
4. Hugenholtz - Germany
5. Lemaire - France
6. Londry - France
7. Dvorak - Czech Republic
8. Svoboda - Czech Republic
9. Szakacs - Hungary

I emailed FTDNA about Barbier because I thought such a fast result impossible and probably the product of a computer error, but they said no, he was tested and is L21-. :(

Hopefully things will be better for the rest.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 04:28:44 PM by rms2 » Logged

Mark Jost
Old Hand

« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2009, 10:09:20 PM »

FtDNA turn around time is just running a few weeks instead of months lately.

Pos: Z245 L459 L21 DF13**
Neg: DF23 L513 L96 L144 Z255 Z253 DF21 DF41 (Z254 P66 P314.2 M37 M222  L563 L526 L226 L195 L193 L192.1 L159.2 L130 DF63 DF5 DF49)
WTYNeg: L555 L371 (L9/L10 L370 L302/L319.1 L554 L564 L577 P69 L626 L627 L643 L679)
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2009, 10:35:15 PM »

FtDNA turn around time is just running a few weeks instead of months lately.

Except for Goblirsch, Lemaire and Londry, whose results are all overdue, Lemaire and Londry by about a month.

alan trowel hands.
Guru

« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2009, 07:27:54 AM »

Here's the updated list. Sadly, Barbier went L21- (within 8 days of his order, I might add).

1. Beer - Switzerland
2. Conrardy - Luxembourg
3. Goblirsch - Czech Republic
4. Hugenholtz - Germany
5. Lemaire - France
6. Londry - France
7. Dvorak - Czech Republic
8. Svoboda - Czech Republic
9. Szakacs - Hungary

I emailed FTDNA about Barbier because I thought such a fast result impossible and probably the product of a computer error, but they said no, he was tested and is L21-. :(

Hopefully things will be better for the rest.

Got to say if even 5 or 6 of those 9 come in L21, it will make a real impact on the L21 map.  There seems to be a real momentum at the moment. I hope public interest continues and some more donations are made allow the progress of the last 6 months to continue.
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2009, 11:05:24 AM »

I've been trying to recruit some others for testing, but it is apparently harder to give away L21 tests than I thought it was.

alan trowel hands.
Guru

« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2009, 11:52:16 AM »

I've been trying to recruit some others for testing, but it is apparently harder to give away L21 tests than I thought it was.

Strange.  I think sometimes the main remover of motivation may be that what they think L21 represents may not correspond with their identity.  For example Neilthered's example of Danish guys who were perhaps not overjoyed with the idea of going to the bother of testing to prove they were British slaves or something.  So, its probably worth regularly pointing out on boards and lists that we do not know what it means really and are speculating and that the out of the isles idea does not make any sense in light of the numbers in France and adjacent areas and in the light of archaelogical evidence.

It seems to relate to a prehistoric spread that was of huge importance in NW Europe. It seems to have been especially high among the Celts but that is not to say that it was spread by people who were already Celts.  Judging by variance dating, when S21, S28, S116* and L21 spread,  they were all very recent branches of the same R1b1b2 tree seperated by only a number of generations and so were essentially the one people probably speaking the one language.  They also in most areas seem to have been thoroughly mixed together.  

So, the differentialtion into Celtic and German would then have really been down to geography, networks of interaction and political considerations, not down to how many L21s or S28 there were in one area.  So, I do not think what made a Celt a Celt or a German a German had anything to do with these clades otherwise how do we explain the high L21 in Ireland and parts of the isles and, the mix of L21, S28 and S116*etc in France, the dominance of S116* in Iberia, etc even though they were all Celtic spreaking.  

So I am saying there do seem to be trends like a lot of L21 and S28 among Celts and S21 among Germans but they probably were never absolutes and what clades predominated in one area or other probably initially made no difference in terms of language etc.  The actual patterning we get among the clades is probably due to a mix of founder effects and chance during the early spread and later perhaps certain dynasties or elites helping clades to mushroom and perhaps later migrations and elite dominance.  The variance dating seems to suggest that the deep time story is an R1b1b2 one not an L21 per se. 

« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 11:56:16 AM by alan trowel hands. » Logged
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2009, 12:12:01 PM »

Strange.  I think sometimes the main remover of motivation may be that what they think L21 represents may not correspond with their identity.  For example Neilthered's example of Danish guys who were perhaps not overjoyed with the idea of going to the bother of testing to prove they were British slaves or something.  So, its probably worth regularly pointing out on boards and lists that we do not know what it means really and are speculating and that the out of the isles idea does not make any sense in light of the numbers in France and adjacent areas and in the light of archaelogical evidence.

It seems to relate to a prehistoric spread that was of huge importance in NW Europe. It seems to have been especially high among the Celts but that is not to say that it was spread by people who were already Celts.  Judging by variance dating, when S21, S28, S116* and L21 spread,  they were all very recent branches of the same R1b1b2 tree seperated by only a number of generations and so were essentially the one people probably speaking the one language.  They also in most areas seem to have been thoroughly mixed together.  

So, the differentialtion into Celtic and German would then have really been down to geography, networks of interaction and political considerations, not down to how many L21s or S28 there were in one area.  So, I do not think what made a Celt a Celt or a German a German had anything to do with these clades otherwise how do we explain the high L21 in Ireland and parts of the isles and, the mix of L21, S28 and S116*etc in France, the dominance of S116* in Iberia, etc even though they were all Celtic spreaking.  

So I am saying there do seem to be trends like a lot of L21 and S28 among Celts and S21 among Germans but they probably were never absolutes and what clades predominated in one area or other probably initially made no difference in terms of language etc.  The actual patterning we get among the clades is probably due to a mix of founder effects and chance during the early spread and later perhaps certain dynasties or elites helping clades to mushroom and perhaps later migrations and elite dominance.  The variance dating seems to suggest that the deep time story is an R1b1b2 one not an L21 per se.  

The problem with all that, though it may be perfectly true, is that what sells tests is the chance to identify with a particular historical group, especially if that group has an adventurous, exciting, warlike reputation or at the very least an interesting one.

Testing merely to find out that one's y-dna ancestors were part of an undifferentiated conglomeration of hairy Neolithic drudges isn't likely to attract a lot of interest, I'm afraid.

That's why the initial discoveries of S21 (U106) and S28 (U152) were greeted with such enthusiasm back in 2005-2006. For better or worse, accurately or inaccurately, a few partisans (one of whom had a pecuniary interest in test sales) were able to sell those clades by depicting them as Germanic and "La Tene Celt" respectively, thereby whipping interest up to a fever pitch. Throw in a pinch of "Viking" here and there, and the case for those SNPs was made.

Had they been depicted some other way - as the progeny of Iberian cavemen or Neolithic farmers, say - I doubt they would have attracted so much attention and so many sales and so much comment on Rootsweb and other dna lists.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 12:13:06 PM by rms2 » Logged

alan trowel hands.
Guru

« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2009, 01:13:42 PM »

Its a pity people feel much more drawn to later times and especially to named peoples, some of which are really best known for their ability to bash other people.  Says a lot about what impresses even 21st century people! 

Thing is in much of NW Europe the monuments in the countryside dating to the Neoltithic and Early Bronze Age are far more impressive and interesting and suggestive of sophistication than in the later periods where monuments tend to be a lot less impressive and you really have to look at artefacts in museums to get a feel for the period.  These later parts of the prehistoric period and the early historic periods tend to be militaristic and about better and better ways of bashing someone on the head and showing off status.

There is arguably a lot more to admire in the more balanced society implied in the Neolithic remains which often suggest sophistication, a more inclusive society (in ritual and burial) and one that was less concerned with individual showing off.  Kind of puts me in mind of a very much smaller scale version of the very ritual orientated and spiritual theocratic society (that could also clearly handle itself) that existed in ancient Egypt. 

The thing is too that people think that later phases like the beaker or corded ware cultures were some sort of master warrior race but in fact they had very little in their armoury that was better than the pre-beaker Neolithic people.  Soft unalloyed copper knives and axes are not really an improvement on flint knives and stone axes and the main weapons for both were flint arrows and archery.  The corded ware culture didnt even have the copper.  Their stone battle axes were no real improvement when dealing with guys who had had flint axes already and surely archery made the hand to hand stuff little more than posturing.   We know that in pre-beaker times fortified enclosures were subject to mass archer attacks between waring tribes so although the Neolithic people had sophistication of some sort they were also militarily prepared.  Gimbutas etc have given people a false impression of the early Neolithic people.as some sort of soft touches but it seems to me they could handle themselves and at the same time had a greater level of sophistcation philosophically to boot. 

Arguably, the later periods saw the loss in balance of the society towards crude indivualistic material showing off and militarism and that  this continued through into the historic periods.  So, I would feel that the early Neolithic period would be a period I would be happy about if that turned out to be the phase my ancestors arrived in.
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2009, 02:12:22 PM »

It wouldn't bother me either, but then again you and I haven't been all that good at marketing L21 and whipping up the kind of woad-painted frenzy that sells dna tests (especially the Deep Clade-R).

One has to admire the job (snow job or otherwise) that was done to market those clades that had the good fortune to be discovered first.

Maybe if I put an image of Mel Gibson as William Wallace on the project web site, that would help? ;-)

http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/tom-keating/images/braveheart.jpg
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 02:16:01 PM by rms2 » Logged

GoldenHind
Old Hand

« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2009, 04:42:59 PM »

So I am saying there do seem to be trends like a lot of L21 and S28 among Celts and S21 among Germans but they probably were never absolutes and what clades predominated in one area or other probably initially made no difference in terms of language etc.  The actual patterning we get among the clades is probably due to a mix of founder effects and chance during the early spread and later perhaps certain dynasties or elites helping clades to mushroom and perhaps later migrations and elite dominance.  The variance dating seems to suggest that the deep time story is an R1b1b2 one not an L21 per se. 

I absolutely agree with your analysis. Unfortunately Rich has a point as well. Most of the people who are interested in deep clade testing just want to be able to say their ancestor was a Celt/Germanic/Viking/Norman or whatever.  Sadly those with an academic interest in the populating of Europe are few and far between.
Perhaps we should try sell the idea of R1b as Indo-European invaders. "Find out which route your ancestors took as they laid waste to the primitive  inhabitants of Europe."
Nolan Admin - Glenn Allen Nolen
Project Coordinator
Old Hand

« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2009, 05:29:26 PM »

"For better or worse, accurately or inaccurately, a few partisans (one of whom had a pecuniary interest in test sales) were able to sell those clades by depicting them as Germanic and "La Tene Celt" respectively, thereby whipping interest up to a fever pitch. Throw in a pinch of "Viking" here and there, and the case for those SNPs was made."

Man, keep telling the truth, it was all about sales and how much money they could make before reality set in. And don't forget his need to be the self-proclaimed hard-nosed scientist expert of all things genetic.   

"One has to admire the job (snow job or otherwise) that was done to market those clades that had the good fortune to be discovered first.

Maybe if I put an image of Mel Gibson as William Wallace on the project web site, that would help? ;-)"

Hey, Mel Gibson as William Wallace might not be a bad idea. That was a great film.

rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2009, 06:10:28 PM »

Actually, if I could get permission, I would use images of the Gauls Asterix and Obelix on the R-L21 Plus Project web site.

Asterix and Obelix are cool!

http://www.understandfrance.org/Images/AsterixObelix.jpg

Nolan Admin - Glenn Allen Nolen
Project Coordinator
Old Hand

« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2009, 06:22:11 PM »

That’s fine, but I think the William Wallace portrayal would sell more SNP tests especially with a free DVD or download of the film.
alan trowel hands.
Guru

« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2009, 08:23:24 PM »

I could write  fake archaeological book about the conquest of the world by the beautiful L21 sons of light hyperborean master race from Atlantis who arrived in gleaming flint boats with sails made of eagle feathers before wiping out the tyranical I clade folk and saving the earth from their wicked 5000 year reich. Watch our Eric Von Danikan :0)
vtilroe
Project Coordinator
Old Hand

« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2009, 11:05:55 PM »

Worked for Sykes...

YSearch & MitoSearch: 2GXWW

yDNA: R-U106*

mtDNA: U5a1a1 (Genbank# GQ368895)

R-P312-WTY Project Admin http://tinyurl.com/daertg

Mike Walsh
Guru

« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2009, 02:02:30 PM »

That’s fine, but I think the William Wallace portrayal would sell more SNP tests especially with a free DVD or download of the film.
Maybe we should get Mel Gibson tested.   If he is L21* we'll sure pick up the Scots.

R1b-L21>L513(DF1)>S6365>L705.2(&CTS11744,CTS6621)
Jdean
Old Hand

« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2009, 02:22:22 PM »

Maybe we should get Mel Gibson tested.   If he is L21* we'll sure pick up the Scots.

I thought we were trying to encourage the French to join, we've got Isles L21's coming out of our ears. What about Gérard Depardieu?

Y-DNA R-DF49*
MtDNA J1c2e
Kit No. 117897
Ysearch 3BMC9

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 19 queries.