World Families Forums - my maternal NC connection

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2014, 12:39:49 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Geographic Projects
| | |-+  NC1700s (Moderator: Mark Rasco)
| | | |-+  my maternal NC connection
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: my maternal NC connection  (Read 1533 times)
PDHOTLEN

« on: July 11, 2009, 09:34:06 PM »

I joined the North Carolina 1700's Project on behalf of my strictly maternal lineage. My paternal line apparently never set foot in North Carolina. Hard facts for earlier generations are hard to come by. A brief outline of my maternal line:

Genevieve (mother): born 1918, Madison, Wisconsin.
^
Elma "Alma" Greene (my maternal grandmother): born 1897, WI. Up to now, I've only been able to trace this Green line back to William B. Green, b.1800 in Baltimore, MD. This Green(e) line may go back to the second colonial governor of Maryland.
^
Melinda "Minnie" Puckett: born 1862, Indiana. My branch of the Puckett line traces back to Virginia and Oxfordshire, England before that; but most of the other Pucketts seem to be southern now.
^
Namcy Wheeldon, born 1834, Decatur County, Indiana.
^
Sealah Falconbury, born 1802, (Kershaw/Lancaster County?), South Carolina. Family in Lincoln County (along Fishing Creek), Kentucky (1804-1828). A larger Lincoln County was partitioned into smaller counties around 1806. There is also a Fishing Creek in Lancaster County, SC along the Catawba River, and close relatives homesteading in Lancaster County. Anyway, there is enough circumstantial evidence that my grandmother was right; her maternal line went back to the Mayflower (or thereabouts).
-------------------------------------------------
A side note; Selah's husband, James Wheeldon, was an old ethnic blend from Delaware. His paternal Wheeldon lineage hits a brick wall. James' maternal line stemmed from the early Swedish (Stille/Silley) and Dutch (Vial/Viele) settlers in the Delaware Valley. Carl Springer from Sweden, with his father from Germany, is included in the Stille lineage.

One possibility could be that Charity's mother came from New England derived stock in the Shenandoah Valley. In that case her family may have been loosely associated with the Falconburys in the movement down to the Pee Dee River, NC. Jacob's uncle, also named Jacob, apparently had a second wife named Charity; quite confusing. A son of Uncle Jacob and Aunt Charity was baptized in a Presbyterian church at Tinkling Spring, VA (1740), according to an entry at Ancestry, suggesting Scots-Irish. A research tree I put together based on a rare HVR1+HVR2 match at SMGF traces back to PA a. There is another HVR1-only match that points to Mass via the Valley as a source for that line, which moved into Tennessee and beyond.

Jacob Falconbury (b. 1757), Charity's husband (married Charity in 1777), fought in the Revolutionary War in the North Carolina theater, off and on from 1776 to 1781, and later received a pension for his service; 1776 in Cherokee campaign; 1780-81, the main events. Charity's first daughter, named Keziah, who was born around 1793, could be a clue of some kind. With all my idle speculating, I'd better include the East Anglia region of England. One rare HVR1+HVR2 match going back to earliest Massachusetts points back to Norfolk, or thereabouts. And another HVR1-only match specifically goes back to Norfolk, UK.

Still later: I just ordered the Family Finder (FF) autosomal test. The results could change my thinking yet again, for example if Native American evidence would show up. Resilt: no Native American DNA.

Latest hypothesis: Charity Biles > Keziah Hunt > Elizabeth Philips > Townsend > Harcourt > Potter (born 1630) > Wood > Isabell Goodspeed (b.1579, Chesham, Bucks) > Isabel Allyn (b.1531) > Annis North (b.1514) > Elizabeth Fisher (b.1495) > ........... Joan Plantagenet (b.1189).

One of the (currently five) people in my U5b2b2 clade traces directly back to France (French Canadian). My guess is Normandy, since I have HVR1 matches from Denmark (FTDNA,SMGF). Danish Vikings invaded Normandy, as well as England.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 09:39:47 PM by PDHOTLEN » Logged

U5b2/U5b2b2 (traces to colonial USA European) & R1a1a1 L664+ (Norwegian descent); X chromosome (not tested) = half Austrian and half Colonial USA. FTDNA kit #54319. Genebank EF419891. MitoSearch/Y-Search #G986T.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 19 queries.