World Families Forums - Deep Clade Testing and "SmartMatching"

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 23, 2014, 01:19:12 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  R1b General (Moderator: rms2)
| | |-+  Deep Clade Testing and "SmartMatching"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Deep Clade Testing and "SmartMatching"  (Read 643 times)
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« on: August 22, 2009, 09:44:33 AM »

Family Tree DNA will be switching to SmartMatching soon. SmartMatching will eliminate so-called matches outside one's subclade from showing up on the Y-DNA Matches page.

In order to make the best use of SmartMatching, it is important that each man be fully tested for SNPs (Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms). SNPs are simply changes at single places on the y chromosome. They happen infrequently enough that they can be used to classify large numbers of related men into what are called "haplogroups" and subclades of haplogroups.

The best way to be fully tested for SNPs is to order Family Tree DNA's Deep Clade test. The easiest way to do that is from the link on the "Haplotree" page of one's "myFTDNA" pages.

Right now is a good time to order the Deep Clade test. Family Tree DNA is offering a 20%-off sale on its Deep Clade and Deep Clade upgrade tests right now.

I hope many men will take advantage of this  and get themselves fully tested.

Mike Walsh
Guru

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 10:06:25 PM »

Family Tree DNA will be switching to SmartMatching soon. SmartMatching will eliminate so-called matches outside one's subclade from showing up on the Y-DNA Matches page.  .....
My, my....  that's very smart of FTDNA. 

Sorry, don't mean to make light of progress as beats the alternative.

I absolutely agree that anyone in R1b1b2 needs to order the deep clade R package.  There are just too many R1b1b2 folks that are clustered around the Western Atlantic Modal.  Deep clade SNP results clear out a lot of "noise."

Also, those that were deep clade R tested in 2008 and before in the R1b1b2a1b (P312) category who have not had the L21 test, should order it.  I think in that case, a less expensive upgrade order called Extended Clade C is offered.

R1b-L21>L513(DF1)>S6365>L705.2(&CTS11744,CTS6621)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 18 queries.