World Families Forums - Scots in Poland

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 12:02:19 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  R1b General (Moderator: rms2)
| | |-+  Scots in Poland
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Scots in Poland  (Read 666 times)
Jdean
Old Hand

« on: December 01, 2009, 11:32:46 AM »

Found this whilst trying to figure out what three members of a Scottish family I'm researching were doing in Poland in the mid 17th C.

http://www.scotland.org/about/history-tradition-and-roots/features/culture/1576.html

One of the links at the bottom of the page is an article claiming there were about 30,000 Scots living in Poland in 1621?

Of course I'm not trying to suggest that Polish L21s are therefore of Scottish ancestry, but I suppose at least some of them could be.

Y-DNA R-DF49*
MtDNA J1c2e
Kit No. 117897
Ysearch 3BMC9

rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 08:17:23 PM »

Found this whilst trying to figure out what three members of a Scottish family I'm researching were doing in Poland in the mid 17th C.

http://www.scotland.org/about/history-tradition-and-roots/features/culture/1576.html

One of the links at the bottom of the page is an article claiming there were about 30,000 Scots living in Poland in 1621?

Of course I'm not trying to suggest that Polish L21s are therefore of Scottish ancestry, but I suppose at least some of them could be.

So far no R-L21*s of Polish descent who look likely to be the progeny of Scots have shown up. Our only members with Polish ancestry belong to the distinctive Baltic Ashkenazi cluster, and that has not shown up in Scotland yet.

Jdean
Old Hand

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 08:39:28 PM »

So far no R-L21*s of Polish descent who look likely to be the progeny of Scots have shown up. Our only members with Polish ancestry belong to the distinctive Baltic Ashkenazi cluster, and that has not shown up in Scotland yet.

If the figures quoted are only half accurate though I expect some will turn up.

I have to wonder what the draw was, the people I was interested in weren’t even living near the coast, Bartons as it happens.

Yes that Ashkenazi cluster you found is very interesting isn't it, one of them would be  a good candidate for the WTY project.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 08:52:04 PM by Jdean » Logged

Y-DNA R-DF49*
MtDNA J1c2e
Kit No. 117897
Ysearch 3BMC9

rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 08:32:37 PM »

I think the draw was religious freedom. Poland was one of the most tolerant countries in the world at that time.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 19 queries.