World Families Forums - John Byrne of Ardee, Co Louth

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 31, 2016, 06:12:51 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'B'
| | |-+  Byrne (Moderator: Paul Burns)
| | | |-+  John Byrne of Ardee, Co Louth
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: John Byrne of Ardee, Co Louth  (Read 150 times)
byrnesgal6591

« on: February 06, 2016, 10:06:36 PM »

I ordered the Y DNA-37 test kit on the 5th of Feb. I hope to receive it this week coming, as I will have my only brother provide the DNA.

All I know is that John Byrne is my great grandfather and his father was Peter. According to the marriage license of my great grandparents, Peter was deceased at the time of his marriage to Catherine Dunn(e). Her father is listed as Owen Dunn(e) and was listed as living. We don't know if there is a 'e' at the end of Dunn, but it written with one on the marriage certificate. So, I have to assume there is an 'e', even though some family members say there is none.

I have my grandfather's birth cert as well as a few of his siblings. I was told their father, John, was to have worked on the railroads, building them. I have not found anything that gives any fact to this as of yet.

So, I am stuck at Peter Byrne. My father told me when I was young, our surname was O'Byrne... my mother said that when my grandfather moved to NYC with two older brothers, two years after their mother died, the schools added the 's' to his name. I have found so far, this is not correct, however, my father's birth cert shows it with an 's'... so I am more inclined to believe that is how I became a BYRNES vs BYRNE. I remember when I would write my grandfather a letter, I asked my father why grandpa didn't have an 's' on his name and that is when he told me that we use to be O'Byrne. My father, esp my grandfather ... were very proud Irishmen! My brother takes after them!

Both of my grandfather's brothers that move to NYC with him both spelled it BYRNE. I have made a connection with a granddaughter (Nancy) of Eugene and a grandson (Ron) of Peter. We all live in Virginia (USA)... funny, how our roots started in Ireland, landed in NYC and the great grandchildren of John Byrne reconnected in Virginia! Small world afterall! ;)

Oh, according to my great grandparents marriage certificate, Catherine lived in Castlebellingham and John lived in Milestown. I hope this DNA Project will connect us to other family members!

Thank you for having me. I will get my brother to sign up as well.
Annmarie

Ann Marie (Byrnes) LaDue
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 19 queries.