World Families Forums - Update as of May 2009

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2014, 12:16:37 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'L'
| | |-+  Leonard (Moderator: Brad Leonard)
| | | |-+  Update as of May 2009
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Update as of May 2009  (Read 902 times)
Brad Leonard

« on: May 08, 2009, 03:07:48 PM »

We've finally broken the 50 member threshold!  The more members, the better.  Developing  information that will be helpful to others and perhaps ourselves is aided by having more members.  We should thereby find more clusters of Leonards who are related and better definition of the branches within that cluster.

Most of the haplogroup J2 Leonards are descendants of James Leonard 1620-91 of Taunton, or his antecedents in England.  There could be descendants of his brother, Henry, who went to New Jersey also in this haplogroup.  I have a data base of James and Henry's descendants and can do look-ups for anyone interested.

We now have several in the I2b1 haplogroup.  I believe these are descendants of Solomon Leonard 1637 of Duxbury, MA.  There's one Leonard tested by the Sorenson Lab whose ancestry goes back to Solomon and whose marker pattern fits with this group.  I have a data base of Solomon Leonard's descendants and can do look-ups for anyone interested.

So far, we don't seem to have any Leonards who trace their ancestry back to John Leonard 1630 of Springfield, MA.  I have a data base of his descendants, of which there were many.  Without a tested descendant, we don't know if he was related to Solomon Leonard, as has been alleged, or came from another branch in England.

I have two Leonards who may have descended from William Leonard and Sarah Bolton 1690 Bridgewater, MA.  One is a J2 and the other an R1b (which means they can't be related to each other or both be descendants of William and Sarah).  We need a tie-breaker to help determine this line.  Jason?

We now have a group forming around Bob (RW) Leonard in haplogroup R1b1b2.  Bob's ancestor was one of three Scottish brothers who came to America in 1750.  Bob has an extensive family genealogy of these Leonards on ancestry.com.

We have 3 nonLeonards whose test results indicate a James Leonard descendancy, but who can't trace their ancestry back to any Leonards, at least not yet.  Did an ancestor change his name?  Did husband Leonard and wife in some earlier generation die, with their children adopted by another family whose name they took?  Was it a "nonpaternal" event back in time?  Or were they never Leonards, just having a Leonard marker pattern as a result of random mutations?

It's worth checking your surname file from time to time.  A lot of development has occurred in defining and refining haplogroup subclades.  These subclades are really tribal origins and may eventually get refined enough to identify families or groups of families and where they moved and settled.  You may want to go for an additional subclade test (yes, more $) if it looks as if it would provide useful information.

The matching process has been refined further since many of us began and more people continue to participate, so it's worth clicking from time to time to see if any new matches have been identified.  For some, the number of matches can be overwhelming, particularly matches at the 12 marker level.  Among the R1b's, the matches at that level don't seem to have much value genealogically, since the marker patterns really seem to diverge at 37 markers.  I have almost 1,000 matches with my mtDNA low resolution pattern -- overwhelming, and I've yet to discover any genealogical relevance from them.

Updates on your Earliest Known Ancestor (EKA) or genealogy are always welcome.  If I can post more of that information, it is very helpful to others.

Best wishes!

Brad
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 19 queries.