World Families Forums - FamilytreeDNA test kits

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 08:24:17 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  R1b General (Moderator: rms2)
| | |-+  FamilytreeDNA test kits
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: FamilytreeDNA test kits  (Read 998 times)
Pendragon1962

« on: April 18, 2009, 09:17:23 PM »

I went to the Loch Norman Highland Games today near my home and there was a lady there from FamilytreeDNA selling test kits, I thought to myself, MAN !  what DNA results you could get out of this crowd.

Y-DNA: R-L21+
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 07:33:24 AM »

I went to the Loch Norman Highland Games today near my home and there was a lady there from FamilytreeDNA selling test kits, I thought to myself, MAN !  what DNA results you could get out of this crowd.

I hope there were some real descendants of Highlanders there who took some kits with them. So far I don't think we have even a single L21 result from the Highlands. We have plenty of Scots, but they all appear to be Lowlanders.

embPA

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 12:18:21 PM »

I thought I saw several L21* matches to REY9K, the Argyll Campbell modal, using 25@4. 
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 01:57:49 PM »

I thought I saw several L21* matches to REY9K, the Argyll Campbell modal, using 25@4. 

That is nice, but it's not quite the same as having actual members who can trace a y line to the Highlands so that I can put a placemark in the R-L21* Map there. We have a few who are close, and perhaps technically just inside the Highlands, but otherwise the area looks vacant.

chris1

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 02:01:43 PM »

There are many 'Scots R1b' Highland families who have tested. They're into double figures testing positive for L21 last I heard. The Highland Clearances will explain why many are found in the Lowlands and the Colonies.
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 02:16:24 PM »

There are many 'Scots R1b' Highland families who have tested. They're into double figures testing positive for L21 last I heard. The Highland Clearances will explain why many are found in the Lowlands and the Colonies.

That must be the answer then, but in terms of the map, I cannot justify putting a placemark somewhere in the Highlands because an individual has what is thought to be a Highland surname and is somewhere within range of a modal haplotype.

I also don't put North Americans, Australians, and New Zealanders into one of the European categories or onto the R-L21* Map simply based on their surnames and/or the fact that they belong to a certain cluster characterized by a modal thought to have a certain geographic affinity. They must have a paper trail to the Old Country. That standard also excludes me from any of the European categories, which is why you will find my entry in the "Colonial" category and you won't find a placemark for my ancestor on the R-L21* Map.

I don't doubt that the Highlands are overwhelmingly R-L21*, but I guess getting some pins into the R-L21* Map there is not going to be easy.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 02:19:11 PM by rms2 » Logged

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 18 queries.