World Families Forums - Red Hair

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2014, 06:45:49 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  R1b General (Moderator: rms2)
| | |-+  Red Hair
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Red Hair  (Read 1201 times)
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« on: April 12, 2009, 09:15:43 AM »

I started this thread to talk about red hair, not to write a dissertation, so just post whatever you can find or whatever you have to say on the subject.

Here is a red hair frequency map for England and Wales that was produced by the Anthropology Department of Palomar College in San Marcos, California.

http://anthro.palomar.edu/vary/images/map_of_red_hair_in_England.gif

I don't know how they produced it or what study or studies it is based on. It's not all that detailed, but it's a start.

If I find some other stuff I'll post it.

I don't have red hair, but my youngest daughter and my two grandsons have it, and one of my dad's older sisters had it.

vtilroe
Project Coordinator
Old Hand

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 01:42:40 PM »

My father had brownish-red hair - but he got it from his very dutch mother.  His father was dark-haired.

My mother's father also had red hair - he was of swabian-german ethnicity by way of the former Ottoman Empire, but none of his kids had it - they were all dark-haired.

A bit of the legacy of that recessive red-haired gene does appear in me and my brother's beards to a small degree.

YSearch & MitoSearch: 2GXWW

yDNA: R-U106*

mtDNA: U5a1a1 (Genbank# GQ368895)

R-P312-WTY Project Admin http://tinyurl.com/daertg

NealtheRed
Old Hand

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 04:29:13 PM »

I was born with red hair, and so was my sister. My great-grandfather Clyde had it too; we are English.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 04:29:35 PM by NealtheRed » Logged

Y-DNA: R-Z255 (L159.2+) - Downing (Irish Sea)

MTDNA: HV4a1 - Centrella (Avellino, Italy)

Ysearch: 4PSCK

rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 05:53:33 PM »

It's interesting to me. When I was young I had red hair in my beard and moustache. Now my facial hair has mostly gone white (which I can see when I let it grow).

Interesting that Wales has a fairly high frequency of red hair.

Anyway, my dad's maternal grandmother was a McElroy, which is an Irish surname that in the original Gaelic means, "son of the red youth."

NealtheRed
Old Hand

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 07:08:28 PM »

Why is there so much red hair in Britain? I know it frequents Western Europe and the Scandinavian countries, but Britain seems to be the majority shareholder.

Y-DNA: R-Z255 (L159.2+) - Downing (Irish Sea)

MTDNA: HV4a1 - Centrella (Avellino, Italy)

Ysearch: 4PSCK

Jafety R1b-U152

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 05:38:56 AM »

Interesting topic/question.
We do not normally have red haired people in Hungary, however, there are some people with "reddish ." That is usually seen as a Germanic or Slavic feature in the Hungarian population.

I am not a biologist or geneticist but as far as I know, people have only two "hair-genes" and there are more than two types of that genes so there is many combination. For example, Mediterranean brown is different from Central Asian black (which I have for example - my hair is so black that people use to ask me if I dye it...). And red gene is again different - I read somewhere that it is probably connected to green eyes.
I wonder if red or  is the dominant when these two are inherited together.

I also read about speculation that probably Neanderthal's have interbred with the earliest Cro-Magnons and red hair + green eyes is a result of that. This theory is supported by the fact that red appears only in the "White Caucasian" area, where Neanderthals used to live (they were found all over Europe + even Palestine)
However, I am not sure that anyone can securely state that Neanderthals had red hair...

« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 05:42:18 AM by Jafety R1b-U152 » Logged

Y-DNA: R1b1b2a1b4 (S28/U-152) L2 test pending
Earliest known paternal ancestor: Matthias Fejer, b. 1819, Jaszarokszallas, Jasz county, Central Hungary
MtDNA: U4 (Western Siberian Ugric)
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 07:05:33 PM »

Here is an interesting short article:

http://irishtribesman.blogspot.com/2007/01/red-hair-is-most-common-in-ireland.html

Pendragon1962

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 09:45:52 PM »

before I even had my y-dna tested, I always thought my y-dna was Celtic, because of so many red headed and freckle men on my dad's side, I'm black headed, but I have alot of freckles on my back and arms.
My dad's two brother's were red headed, my first cousin is red headed, so since my y-dna comes from Wales, that could be the reason, going by the map that rms posted.

here's about the Neanderthal's being red headed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7062415.stm 

Y-DNA: R-L21+
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 08:01:27 AM »

If any of you find a nice map showing the worldwide distribution of red hair, please post a link to it here. I have been looking but haven't been able to find one yet.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 19 queries.