World Families Forums - The origin of R-M222 and the peopling of Ireland - oh boy here we go again!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2014, 11:08:31 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  R1b General (Moderator: rms2)
| | |-+  The origin of R-M222 and the peopling of Ireland - oh boy here we go again!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The origin of R-M222 and the peopling of Ireland - oh boy here we go again!  (Read 4581 times)
vineviz
Old Hand

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2009, 12:00:10 PM »

Commenting on archaeology is perfectly acceptable. Proclaiming genetic genealogy is dependent upon archaeology or that archaeology holds the answers to understanding genetic genealogy is not. 
But archaelogy does hold  answers to understanding genetic genealogy.  It does not hold  all the answers, of course, but then again no one claimed that it did.

VV

vineviz
Old Hand

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2009, 12:01:09 PM »

OK, I have just re-registered. 

Welcome.  Your insights will be valued.

VV
Nolan Admin - Glenn Allen Nolen
Project Coordinator
Old Hand

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2009, 01:03:59 PM »

I’ll agree that it may have some value. Archaeology cannot and should not be our primary focus in the genetic genealogical community. And I welcome you to this forum, also.
vineviz
Old Hand

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2009, 01:32:31 PM »

Archaeology cannot and should not be our primary focus in the genetic genealogical community.
There's not much risk of that, I think.  I am glad to have some people here who are well-versed in it, to keep the rest of us from going too far astray.

VV
Project Coordinator
Old Hand

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2009, 02:37:22 PM »

As you are aware, archaeology will have more value to genetic genealogists when archaeologists routinely add SNP and STR data to archaeological studies. As it stands today, I view archaeology of limited value to genetic genealogy. Perhaps, that will change in the future. You are well versed in genetic genealogy, and it is a pleasure to have your participation on this sub-forum.

Thanks,
susanrosine

« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2009, 04:42:49 PM »

Commenting on archaeology is perfectly acceptable. Proclaiming genetic genealogy is dependent upon archaeology or that archaeology holds the answers to understanding genetic genealogy is not. 
I think of Genetic GENEALOGY as a separate category from what we're discussing here. Genealogy is tracing your ancestors--using paper trails--written records. If your last name is Baker, and you match other Bakers, and you've all traced your Baker line back to a specific man---that's genetic genealogy.
Once you get into haplogroups and age of subclades, etc.  you have no surnames or written records. At that point I believe archaealogy must be used as a tool, because all we have is the archaelogical evidence.

Dad: JAMES:  Ysearch QSCQ3;  R-P312, L21+ (R1b1b2a1b5*)
Dad: mitosearch QSCQ3; T1a; no matches HVR2 or FGS
Mom's brother: LEWTER: Ysearch FYFDA;  R-U106, L48+ (R1b1b2a1a*)
Mom's brother: mitosearch FYFDA, U5b2; 1 exac
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2009, 07:06:27 PM »

I think of Genetic GENEALOGY as a separate category from what we're discussing here. Genealogy is tracing your ancestors--using paper trails--written records. If your last name is Baker, and you match other Bakers, and you've all traced your Baker line back to a specific man---that's genetic genealogy.
Once you get into haplogroups and age of subclades, etc.  you have no surnames or written records. At that point I believe archaealogy must be used as a tool, because all we have is the archaelogical evidence.

Exactly right, and that is an important distinction to make, between genealogy on the one hand and "Deep Ancestry" on the other.

Archaeology is essential to understanding Deep Ancestry, as are linguistics, history (where documents and inscriptions are available), climatology, and on and on.

Project Coordinator
Old Hand

« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2009, 01:07:19 AM »

I don't see the distinction between genealogy and deep ancestry to which "archaeology is essential to understanding Deep Ancestry". Say what you must, however, I have been reading Irish genealogy and deep ancestry for many years.

I am into genealogy and genetic genealogy. I don't find a reliance on archaeology essential at all.

http://www.maryjones.us/jce/LGEGenealogy.pdf

Genealogy - Lebor Gabala Erren

http://www.maryjones.us/jce/LGEoverview.pdf

Overview - Lebor Gabala Erren
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 01:09:48 AM by Nolan Admin - Glenn Allen Nolen » Logged
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2009, 07:24:58 AM »

I don't see the distinction between genealogy and deep ancestry to which "archaeology is essential to understanding Deep Ancestry". Say what you must, however, I have been reading Irish genealogy and deep ancestry for many years.

I am into genealogy and genetic genealogy. I don't find a reliance on archaeology essential at all.

http://www.maryjones.us/jce/LGEGenealogy.pdf

Genealogy - Lebor Gabala Erren

http://www.maryjones.us/jce/LGEoverview.pdf

Overview - Lebor Gabala Erren

Why not start a separate thread about how one understands prehistory - the aeons for which no written documentation is available - without reference to archaeology?

That ought to be fascinating!

Project Coordinator
Old Hand

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2009, 10:18:55 AM »

I'll leave that to the anthropologist and archaeologist. That is their chosen field of study.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 19 queries.